Riding with longarms in the saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riding with longarms in the saddle

That's not a bad theory John! Tha could've been the logic behind it.
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

John's theory works about as good as any other. Makes perfect sense to me. Notice the location of the slide and ring down on the stock like that. If he did try to sling it, it would hang even closer to the ground than normal. However, if he were to hook it in that location and use a carbine socket, it may allow it to hang a little more parallel to the side of the horse sort of like a modern saddle boot. Of course all of this is speculation.

Paul, I understand what you mean about hindsight being 20/20. In our 'streamer days, one of our guys who considered himself a handyman of sorts took an original Dickson Nelson & Co. two band rifle (serial number 12... worth about $30,000 in good condition) and took a hacksaw to the barrel to make himself a "cavalry carbine". What an incredible waste of a rare relic and piece of American history. Sadly, he would have been much more authentic had he left it whole and carried it appropriately. But I guess it continuously got in the way of the double pommel holsters on his modified "Hope" saddle he made from a 1911 A-Fork mule drivers saddle.

Ironically, that same former member now owns a world famous gun shop in Baton Rouge and he's the star of his own TV show on the Discovery Channel. Go figure. At least I ended up with what was left of the "carbine" and it's gone to good use and is cherished for what it is.
      Larry Morgan
      Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Larry,
        That is classic. Maybe you should go on the program with that "carbine" to see what he can do with it.
        Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
        Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by wavey1us View Post
          Larry,
          That is classic. Maybe you should go on the program with that "carbine" to see what he can do with it.
          Yeah, he can restore it for you...hahaha...
          Tristan Galloway

Comment

Gun Boots. Starting to find references to them in the East now.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by ButtermilkRanger View Post
              However, if he were to hook it in that location and use a carbine socket, it may allow it to hang a little more parallel to the side of the horse sort of like a modern saddle boot.
              Larry are you talking about those dragoon boots that you stick the end of the barrel in? Not the socket right?
              John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
              "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

It was my good fortune to have cut down an Italian repo that I bought at a gun shop for 110.00 as a wall hanger. It just needed a good cleaning. I think God has a special place in pergatory if you cut down an origonal rear weapon. plm
                Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I thought i'd throw in my .02. If I remember correctly, the slant breech 59' sharps carbine was brass fitted and included both sling swivels and well as carbine ring for a sling. I have always cared my 2 band enfield slung across my back muzzle up. I did ass a wider folded canvas sling to diperse the weight a bit. As to the bucket, it was issued to dragoon troops and I believe was still in southern arsenals at the out break of the war. I have used on with my enfield and it helps on long rides, but I have found a need to keep a hand on it to reduce swinging to and fro. It also impedes the reins at times.
                  Cpl. Joseph Lambert
                  7th TN Co.D

Comment

Originally posted by Mississippian View Post
                    Gun Boots. Starting to find references to them in the East now.

Will MacDonald
                    Will are you speaking about something that looks like this? If so, I would very much like to see that reference!

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Mike, I think the general consensus is that for the ACW period, the gun boots referred to in the ORs that Will provided are most likely the so called carbine thimble or socket we're most familiar with, but may have also reffered to the carbine buckets issued during the MAW period as well.
                      Larry Morgan
                      Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Originally posted by ButtermilkRanger View Post
                        Mike, I think the general consensus is that for the ACW period, the gun boots referred to in the ORs that Will provided are most likely the so called carbine thimble or socket we're most familiar with, but may have also reffered to the carbine buckets issued during the MAW period as well.
                        While I agree with everything you wrote Larry. The fact that Will was speaking of new references (like for the first time) for the use of "gun boots in the East" makes me wonder if he is talking about carbine thimbles. As I wasn't aware their use in the East was not considered common.

On the other hand, the use of the link pictured M1884 US Cavalry carbine boot is very commonly used by many "authentic deficit" Cav down here.

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Originally posted by rbruno View Post
                          Thanks Andrew. That is the type of thing I was looking for. Now, the next question. Would this be used with a carbine sling? I think the obvious answer would be yes, what else would the ring be for. BUT, there is always a "but"... With the lenght of that gun and the placement of the ring, that rifle would hang very close to the ground. Would this still work? Great photo though!
                          Now I'm not a Cav man but I think a carbine sling with this would work great on horse back but not so much on the ground. Spencer rifles are not that long. Depending on the soldiers height it would more than likely would drag the muzzle on the ground. As stated below would be great on horse back but only for short periods. I'll say why I think that in a minute.

Originally posted by TexCavly View Post
                          I think the man would carry the rifle in hand, but in times of battle the gun would be connected to him (by sling), so that if he was unhorsed or had to drop the gun to take up a reign or any other emergency he would still have the rifle at his side. It would not be practical for the gun to be slung down for any length of time.
                          Normally the bar & ring were attached to the reciever when manufactured. To modify it in the field would result with the bar & ring attached to the wood as we see in the pic. The second thing to consider is how many Spencer rifles cracked or broke near to the recievers socket for the butt stock. With the magazine tube running thru the butt stock, it weakened the stocks considerably, so an arrangement like this could possibly render the weapon unservicable should the stock break.
                          Last edited by Prodical Reb; 12-19-2011, 10:14 PM.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Mike, I doubt we ever solve the mystery of the elusive gun boot, but it sure is fun to speculate, isn't it? :) I don't go to many local mainstream events, but at the couple local events I try to make, either as a spectator or a participant, I see the IW era boot pop up with more and more frequency. Of course, I'm also seeing more and more modern saddle pads, nylon curb chains, and gal troops. I guess one isn't any less authentic than the other.
                            Larry Morgan
                            Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
                            X