Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pet Peeves - what really bugs you about our impressions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeves - what really bugs you about our impressions...

Mike

I don't think people understand your point....

:confused_
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I think this thread strayed a bit off point. Mike's original post was relative to impressions in the authentic side of cavalry. Many of the posts here have "peeved" off in obvious details relative to main stream cavalry issues. While this thread has been useful, its purpose, like the purpose of this folder and this forum is "improvement" of authentic cavalry which is an on-going, never ending but "fun" quest. Like traveling the highway of life, driving is a learning experience. Some of us are farther along than others, some are better drivers than others, some can afford nicer cars than others, some are just beginning to drive while others of us are nearing our end but,.... unlike a highway no one ever "arrives". They just end their journey somewhere along the way. While we need contrast, comparison and critique to improve, no one is a "better" than another we are all just at different points in the journey. Regardless, I think all of us agree that the journey is alot more fun when we all drive together in the same direction. Personally, I am glad to see this forum and its growing membership activity embracing that philosophy and working together more so than ever before. It can only lead to good things for us all.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Good question Ken.
        From the federal side, I have to agree with Tom about military deportment and following the military day before and after the fightin'. We talk about it, and we do better than many, but we're not as close as we'd like. I agree too about lack of proper attention to horses (of course we are grooming fools at least twice a day, from hooves to forelocks), though the order books of the regiments in the field document the common neglect of horses by the troopers. Also, it's easy to trot out the same comfortable impression for every event. We try to observe the ordnance reports to outfit ourselves properly depending on the year and unit we're representing. For our last outing, an imaginary late-in-the-campaign event, I decided that I'd lost my saber and revolver during the campaign and would rely on my carbine. By changing my impression I was in a whole new place, less flexible, more susceptible to capture, and probably closer to the high level of alarm that troopers would have felt when in the presence of the enemy. So I guess my pet peeve is the artificial comfort level we feel when we always do it the same way andmake assumptions about situations in which those we represent could have no comfortable assumptions.
        Here's to a great, authentic round of 150th mounted events this year.
        Andrew German
        Andrew German

Comment

To all on this Thread!
          What an interesting topic. Yes there are so many different peeves out there that everyone seems to have. I for one would invite an evaluation of my impression. Its to bad that some of the peeves seem like they could be kept to a minimum if the company commander made sure that the company is following in the guidelines of what is proper.
          I agree on the use of to many guns. In all my research I have never come across several revolvers being carried by each Cav. trooper.
          As far as equipment, I for one believe that some had alot and some did not. Which makes a good impression as a whole, due to the fact that maybe one company raided a wagon or train and made off with the goods.
          Horse management should be top priority! Yes horses would be unruly at reenactments due to the lack of training and ride time. However, it sure would be great if every weekend or so you could train as a company or Battallion. I would really like to see more horsemanship opportunties if possible.
          Another concern I might add would be tactics. How did Cav. companies really ride and attack? I really dont believe they rode at each other fought and then rode 15 yards in retreat, reloaded and came storming back. Any casualties?
          On uniforms, I might add that if you research what port or depot that your company gained its clothing material it might help determine what is the proper hat or material. Just a thought. I think that everyone has some interesting concerns that I really feel helps raise some interesting points.
          Thanks,
          Lt. Mark Pike
          Terry's Texas Rangers Co.D

Comment

Very interesting topic.
            It could even be used a a guide.

Comment

One for the Cornfed infantry would be a shortage of bayonets at some points in time. Also would like to see more carpet blankets.
              Philip D. Brening
              Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
              3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

I would also like to see more authenticity regarding the men armed with pistols.
                And for some men without muskets, but I can't see anybody giving that up.
                Unless they grabbed a gun off the field.
                I've had this same conversation with reenactors.
                And I quote. "I've travelled to far to not shoot"

Rule # 1 on forum is SIGN YOUR POSTS with full name.

Please add this as soon as possible.

Mark
                Last edited by Mark Choate; 08-02-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X