Jessie Scouts - Union cavalry in gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessie Scouts - Union cavalry in gray

Thanks to Jim Mayo for the introduction to the Jessie Scouts as a comment on my post about Union cavalrymen wearing CS uniforms in the hunt for Jefferson Davis.

Here is the fascinating story of the Jessie Scouts, including a great nugget about a Federal scout, dressed as a Confederate trooper, attempting to give a bogus message to Hood at Second Manassas to keep him from joining with Jackson.

Also, some great info about how Sheridan masked his movements under the guise of a fox hunt to fool CSA spies in his camp as he moved on Early, driving him from the Shenandoah Valley and another how Union scouts dressed as CS cavalry foiled Lee's attempt to resupply and feed his army as the were fleeing from Petersburg.

This reading opens my eyes to the use of scouts and spies drawn from the cavalry of both armies at a level of which I was unaware.

Enjoy this read!

Jessie Scouts, Civil War, Federal Troops, Civil War SOF, Arch Rowand, Col Young, Young, Rowand,
    Last edited by Mike Ventura; 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: Jessie Scouts - Union cavalry in gray

Mike, The Barringer they captured at Five forks was Gen. Rufus Barringer, not Felix.

John Nolan

Comment

Working...
    X