National Cavalry Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Cavalry Competition

As you all know, the Cavalry Camp of Instruction forum was created so that questions and topics of a more basic nature, that would lend themselves to aide the "still learning" cavalryman, could be discussed. In this vein, I have been asked to announce the 2012 National Cavalry Competition being held at Ft. Riley, Kansas. Since it does include our time frame of history (as well as others) and there may be some interest in participation, then I am posting the announcement below. Let me be clear that this is in no way an endorsement but is done strictly in the interest of training and development of rider and horse in this hobby.

regards,
    Mark

"The U.S. Cavalry Association will host the 2012 National Cavalry Competition at historic Fort Riley, Kansas in September. Dates of the competition will be 19-22 Sept 2012. This competition is open to all horsemen who represent time periods ranging from the Mexican War to World War Two. Competition categories include:
    Military Horsemanship: Skill of rider at military equitation, including turnout of horse and rider, deportment, use of aids, gaits, riding hall movements and horse management as prescribed by U.S. Cavalry training manuals. Gaits required will be ordinary and free walks sitting and posting trot, and canter.
    Mounted Saber: Timed event may include as many as twenty targets (heads, rings, ground targets) and negotiation of obstacles, including appropriate level jumps. Scored on elapsed time and faults (missed targets, refusals, and riding off course.)
    Mounted Pistol: Timed event, including engagement of six targets and negotiation of obstacles, which may include appropriate jumps. Scored on elapsed time and faults (missed targets, refusals, and riding off course.) Faults scored at 5 points each.
    Military Field Jumping: Skill at negotiating jumps and obstacles over a prescribed course ofplain and striped post and rails, gates and ladders on relatively flat field. Maximum height for jumps of Levels 1, 2 and 3 will be one foot six inches, two feet, and two feet six inches respectively
    Combat Horsemanship: Combat Horsemanship is open to 19th and 20th Century impressions. Horse and rider will be fully equipped for combat. Pistol, saber, and carbine or rifle (if after 1903) will be needed. Contestants carrying carbine will need a carbine sling, carbine boot, or socket. After 1903 the rifle boot is needed. Also, after 1913 the Patton saber is approved. The contestant will perform the test in front of the judge. The judging area should be a 60 meter square area, with each corner marked. No championship points are awarded for this competition. First place ribbons will be awarded to high-point scorers in Level 1 and Level 2.
    Authenticity and Historical Impression - Open to all competition entrants. Field or campaign uniform and equipment of a chosen era of the U.S. Cavalry, with saddle, tack, pack, personal items, and weapons appropriate and properly fitted. Equipment may be original or reproduction - no loaded weapons or live ammunition. Competitors should be knowledgeable about all uniform and equipment items.
    Cavalry Bugler - Open to all competition entrants. Test of bugler’s ability to sound and recognize bugle calls, as well as understand bugler’s duties in camp, on skirmish, and at ceremonies. Garrison uniform and equipment. Scoring as in traditional state music contests. Contestants will be grouped in three categories: 1- Superior, 2- Excellent, 3- Good. Contestants expected to contribute to camp duties during competition.
    Each of the above competition area is divided by levels of competition Levels 1, 2, and 3. You will judged within your own level in which you register.
    Level 1 (Novice) - Basic riding and equitation skills, including jumps up to one foot six inches; basic skill with arms (saber and pistol.)
    Level 2 (Intermediate) - Intermediate riding and equitation skills, including intermediate schooling level skills over jumps (stadium and field) up to two feet; use of arms at all gaits.
    Level 3 (Advanced) - Advanced riding and equitation skills, including jumps (stadium and field) up to two feet six inches; advanced level of competitive skills with arms.
    Most reenactors/living historians feel that they are threatened about competing against US Army mounted teams; however, over the last several years it was reenactors/living historians that have won the competition. Our goal for the 2012 National Cavalry Competition is to increase the number reenactors/living historians that attend the event. This competition provides an excellent venue for you to impart some of your knowledge of uniforms, arms, tactics, and overall cavalry knowledge to the attending public, but also to the U.S. Army mounted teams that compete. Now is the time to start preparing yourself and your mount for the competition. This is also an excellent opportunity to meet and talk with WWII Cavalry Veterans who attend the competition.
    I will provide more information as it becomes available. If you would like to view the information from the 2011 National Cavalry Competition you can go to:

If you have any further questions you may contact Bill Jordan (wavey1us@yahoo.com)"

Last edited by Mark Choate; 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM. Reason: Wording
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Re: National Cavalry Competition

Just for general information and awareness. Having attended this event last year at Fort Reno, OK, it was very interesting, but don't expect authentic impressions, several were straight out of Hollywood B movies. Now, on the positive it was very educational, it actually made participants demonstrate capabilities, weapons, individual and unit drill. So, having seen it in 2011, interesting event, very mainstream.
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

That is precisely why I stated that it was not endorsed, but purely for training of horse and rider.

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pennvolunteer View Post
        Just for general information and awareness. Having attended this event last year at Fort Reno, OK, it was very interesting, but don't expect authentic impressions, several were straight out of Hollywood B movies. Now, on the positive it was very educational, it actually made participants demonstrate capabilities, weapons, individual and unit drill. So, having seen it in 2011, interesting event, very mainstream.
        Frank,
        It is my hope that if we have a couple guys show up with the "right" impressions that maybe some of will rub off on the others. When we first did the event in 2002, the number of re-enactors out numbered the Army teams. Over the years, the trend has reversed itself. We are trying have more re-enactors attend so that some of the Army teams can see that true Cavalry is not blowing and going through at a full gallop to engage targets.
        Were you part of the Ft Sill gun crew that came out and "tried" the saber course? Hopefully, you can show up in 2012 and we can impart our wisdom on a few folks.
        Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
        Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill,
          I was there with the CW Fort Sill Museum gun crew, but none of us tried saber drill, Maybe it was the WWI mounted half section from Fort Sill. As part of the Army museum system, I actually was very embarrassed by many of the Army teams appearance. They had some of the worst impressions. In fact I raised the issue to the Center of Military History that if the Army is going to have "historical" units, we should at least put an effort in to getting it right. But I agree with you, the Army way is lead by example and show them what right looks like.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Pennvolunteer View Post
            Bill,
            I was there with the CW Fort Sill Museum gun crew, but none of us tried saber drill, Maybe it was the WWI mounted half section from Fort Sill. As part of the Army museum system, I actually was very embarrassed by many of the Army teams appearance. They had some of the worst impressions. In fact I raised the issue to the Center of Military History that if the Army is going to have "historical" units, we should at least put an effort in to getting it right. But I agree with you, the Army way is lead by example and show them what right looks like.
            Okay,
            You guys came out on Sat for the Pass in Review. To see some of the units it is truly amazing and these are the folks that "performing" in front of the public. We have talked to a few of the unit OICs and NCOICs with regards to upgrading their uniforms and tack. In typical government fashion, they are bound by the contracting folks to go with the cheaper price on items. A few of us working with government contracts have tried to assist them in the wording of their SOW, so that purchase qualitiy gear.
            At this point, all we can do is have the folks with the right impressions to demonstrate and talk to the public about our proud heritage.
            I hope that people don't let a few bad impressions make them lose sight of trying to perserve the cavalry traditions.
            Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill
              The good news is the CMH agreed with me and was going to discuss a policy on how Army historical units are equipped. I was also helping 1st Cav museum director work a proposal to get them in proper uniforms after Ft Reno. While you are right about the contracting system and making the SOW fit proper historical reqts is a way, I have been successful with our group at Sill by buying a few items every year and have replaced sutler row gear so we now have Wambaugh and white uniforms, dirty Billy hats, and MBS and Duvall leathers and shoes. It took 3 years a little at a time but I have almost completely re-equipped our group.
              The other problem is most ceremonial units don't answer tonthe historians or museums but to operations and plans offices who don't put a priority on getting the impression right. We have to fix that.
              Frank Siltman
              24th Mo Vol Inf
              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Comment

Hey when you are down there and you run into a guy by the name of Claude Machette, tell him I said "hello". I had down that way about avery three months heading towards Frederick OK to get in a few jumps.
                Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill,
                  I know Claude very very well. Great American. He helps us out at the FA Museum regularly.
                  Frank Siltman
                  24th Mo Vol Inf
                  Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Comment

Working...
                  X