blanket coat pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blanket coat pictures

I have been looking for photos or any thing to help me know what the "blanket coat " looks like so I can decide if this is something I want to get or make to replace my federal infantry greatcoat. Can anyone post pictures or refir me to where I can find such a thing? thanks plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: blanket coat pictures

Paul, send me your e-mail address via PM and I will send you a pdf with pictures.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Here is a link to the PDF file. Its here on the forum somewhere, but this was easier for me to find. Hope it helps.

Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Thanks for posting that Mike. I've been looking for that as well. Now I have the perfect project for next weekend!

R
        Rich Libicer
        Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
        4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
        6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
        4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
        21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
        5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
        Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

That's every interesting, When I did rev. war , there was a very simular type blanlet coat . I was thinking of a capote , like in the fur trade, but I am looking at all options. Thanks plm
          Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Great link! I read through this a few years back, and promptly forgot about it. If the author could only find a better model though... Sheesh! :P
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Paul --

One thing to consider about over coats / great coats used in the mounted service. Because of the way that you sit a horse, the lower back of the coat can become bunched under your seat, causing the lower front of the coat to pull away from the front closure, exposing you upper thighs to the weather. In every period great coat that I've owned, either military or civilian, I've either had the normal split up the back increased a few inches (field modified) to allow the coat to separate in the back when seated in a saddle, so that the front of the coat covers my lower torso, and hangs as designed. (Hope this makes sense!). You would not be able to have the normal split, or vent, in the lower back without cutting the blanket, rendering it unable to return to it's original form with out a big rip up the middle.

I've bought my last three, historically accurate, civilian style great coats on this forum for at or less than $200 each.
              Mike Ventura
              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Herb --

I find some irony in your posting on a thread about "coats." ;-)
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
                X