Federal officer bit color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal officer bit color?

I recently bought an old Carrico Federal bridle and bit. The color of the bit is a dull silver, but I don't know if it came this way or the japanned finish has worn off over the years. Since I'm converting my gear to that of an officer, I'm wondering if an officer's bit should be black like enlisted, or would silver or perhaps a gold / brass color be correct? I've seen gold gilt added to bridle bits in period pictures, but I suppose it could just be a photographers flourish. Several internet searches haven't revealed anything definitive. This would be for a Federal Cavalry Captain impression. Thanks!

G
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: Federal officer bit color?

In my humble opinion... the gilt on officers bits probably is meant to be the "dragoon" bits... That doesn't mean on officer had to use those bits. Officers supplied their own equipment, use an enlisted, Mex War or even civilian pattern...
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Thank you, Zack.
      This is labeled an enlisted bit but the buckles say officer to my eye. It appears to be brass.

I don't know when it was used, possibly post war?
      Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
      9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
      On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Not positive, but from the picture it appears to be a Pre-War dragoon bit... the double rings one at the end of the branches and one set by the mouth piece is a ringer. It should be brass faced. It is VERY officer or State issue like say early war Illinois cavalry! Hahahaha. Z
        [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
        [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X