U.S. spurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. spurs

I'm interested in buying a good (accurate) repro pair of U.S. spurs. I could use a lead on a maker or company. I already spoke with Ken Knopp and he said he didn't know. Any help greatly appreciated. Chris Graham

Re: U.S. spurs

Hello Chris.

Welcome to the Cavalry forum.

Some others may have better sources for these. I could do you better with CS spurs, but you could try Border States Leather or you might try this link. I have had one set of spurs from Snellen saddler and were pleased with them. They were not Fed issue, however. Anyway, try this:

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Chris ,
      Look at Hanover Brass" website, they offer a great Allegheny Arsenal repro. The spurs are maker stamped on the band as per the originals. The one"s I saw were the best federal repro spurs I've ever seen. They are on my Christmas wish list !

Sub-Pvt Chris Stewart
      7TN Cav , Co D

Comment

Hey there, Chris,

Wasn't Hanover Brass also turning out some of those really nice Leech & Rigdon (Memphis Novelty works) spurs like Ken had access to? Those are really fine CS spurs for this part of the country, especially.

Also, are the spurs above or below the "Woodford Reserve" on your Christmas list?

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hello Chris,
          The Hanover Brass ones are nice, though the rowel necks are a little rough.
          The fellow whose name is not mentioned on this site makes a very nice set of Horstmann-marked spurs of federal pattern, which I wear. They are just about identical to the relic one I have.
          Regards,
          Andrew German
          Andrew German

Comment

It's unfortunate that "he who must not be named" is about the only one who has accurate spurs these days. What used to be a common sutler item has now been replaced by bastardized copies that can be identified as spurs...but certainly nothing resembling federal issue. I see too many reenactor types accepting the sutler's word on these and remaining completely oblivious to what a real set looks like.

- - - Updated - - -

Strike my last. Go with the Hanover spurs, for sure. Reasonable price and the look is decent. If the spur head bothers you, they can easily be dressed up a bit, into line. I'll be providing their link to the recruits as a recomended source.
            --Mark Jacobsen

Comment

Working...
            X