Supplier of Federal saddle and tack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplier of Federal saddle and tack?

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am looking to purchase a Union issue saddle and tack for my private use, and possible cavalry reenactment use in the future. I want to buy a quality rig. I have searched this forum and found very little on vendors offering complete rigs. I would appreciate recommendations from experienced riders. In searching the net, I found "Shawn's Custom Saddles and Tack" out of San Angelo, Tx. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of his equipment.

thanks, Frank Crowe

Re: Supplier of Federal saddle and tack?

Frank,
    I am not an expert, but I know Shawn's saddles are not the best. I like Glenn Pier Depot's saddles much more. I have made several of my own using trees from out of business people. Todd Kern and Tom Craig might be able to help you more.
    Jerry Ross
    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Hi Frank,

While life and job forced me to have to retire from both the cavalry (after more than 20 years), I still pop in to see what is being said from time to time. As Jerry suggested, you should check out Karl Pepper's work and saddles on his site at Glenn Pier Depot. He has built many for me over the years and has very high standards/quality but still affordable. Here is his site:

Tell Karl that I said "hello" as I have sent many troopers to him over the years.

good luck and enjoy.
      Mark
      Last edited by Mark Choate; 03-02-2015, 10:17 AM.
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Jerry and Mark, thanks to both of you for the information, I will check out Karl's site.

Frank

Comment

Frank,
          Stuart Lillie and others are making saddles as well. One big thing to ask if you truly see your self going into reenacting and at what level. In other words, there are plenty of people making Mac saddles and equipments, but very few that make one correct for CW use and even fewer that make them for the higher level of authenticity. Stuart's are great saddles. Really works of art, but you also will pay for that high level of craftsmanship. I too have a Karl Pepper saddle and like it. There are a few glitches I wish were different but overall it is a great saddle. One thing I would also recommend to do is keep looking at these boards. If you are not in much of a hurry, you will see saddles and tack come up for sale from time to time and you might be able to find a good saddle that is affordable.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Rob makes a very solid point. Your first question should be what you eventually plan to do with your saddle. That makes a big difference about how to proceed.

If you're concerned about authenticity the tree becomes the major question. Most saddles made by most vendors making Mac's today are based on trees made by one source, and that source stinks. The rotten trees also are in issue in terms of usability because I believe that the trees that aren't made to period specs also tend to be poorly made in general.

For my money right now, either Karl Pepper or Stuart Lillie are your best bets for an authentic saddle. It is true though that if you wait a bit a good used saddle will come to light. There are some other vendors, like Duvall Leatherwork who can help you out with the leather if you come up with a good tree.

Take care,
            Tom Craig
            1st Maine Cavalry
            Tom Craig

Comment

Relative to what I want to do with the saddle. I have been using a Model 1904 Mac for my own causal riding. I like the saddle and it worked fine on my previous horse. My current horse is larger, more of a quarter horse type build and the 1904 does not fit him well. I like riding vintage type saddles, and was thinking of a new construction Mac. If I buy one, I want one that is well made, comfortable for the horse and authentic enough to be acceptable if I should decide to pursue mounted living history. Again thanks for all advice so far.

Frank

Comment

I use Doug Kidd / Border States saddles. He has the greatest attention to detail. http://borderstatesleatherworks.com/
                Joey Hernandez Co. I 8th Texas Cavalry

38 Confederate Ancestors and Counting!

Comment

Joey,
                  Doug is another supplier of Mac and equipment. That is one of the reasons Tom and I were asking what his plans are for reenacting or just riding a period type saddle. Doug has been in the business for a long time. In my humble opinion, his saddles have steadily gone down hill in so far as authenticity and construction details. I have had some of Doug's equipment over the years. I have replaced most of it. I am not criticizing Doug or his equipment. He has responded to a growing hobby and has gone towards making many saddles to fit the mainstream market. From a business standpoint, I don't blame him. From an authenticity standpoint, I think the move to meet the masses has negatively impacted his products. He does offer some of the more accurate features of leather work from the period, but they are are upon request and you will pay more for them. Again, it always comes down to what you are willing to do in the hobby and that will drive your suppliers.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Doug Kidd will make saddles and gear to the correct specifications ,but it is a hassle to get it out of him. Doug has always argued with me during the plea for the correct standards. To that point I can call Karl and get what I need in a good amount time. I like his prices a little better too.
                    Jerry Ross
                    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Working...
                    X