No announcement yet.

Vicksburg Preservation March - UPDATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicksburg Preservation March - UPDATE!

Friends!

Quick update on the progress of the event. As of right now, we sit at 20 registrations! As a reminder, we are capping this effort at 60, which means we are 1/3 of the way there!

To give everyone who has interest an opportunity to register, I will be purging the event website of those who do no pay up and register at the close of each month. I know that our registration fee can seem a bit daunting, but it is going to feed you for a week and help us preserve a rare and untouched piece of the Port Gibson battlefield.

We are in the process of recreating the national colors of the 42nd OVI for this effort and will be working on other small features that we believe will make this worth your investment. Ben Jenkins and Aaron Klass will be portraying the two sutlers that were attached to the 42nd OVI during the campaign. More information regarding that addition soon!!

Lastly, I'm sure some have questioned what we will do regarding the recent episode at Raymond. Not to fear! We already have a backup plan for this key addition. We will be focusing our camping efforts at Dean's Stand, which is under the auspices of the Natchez Trace Parkway. On the night of May 12, 1863, General Ulysses S. Grant established his headquarters at this location. We will be the first to camp there since Grant, himself. This is also the location where the Vicksburg Campaign was ultimately decided, as Grant wrote his orders for Sherman to march on Jackson, while McClernand (and the 42nd OVI) marched north to Edward's Station.

Get on your friends to register soon! And start walking!

slide-a-path.jpg
    Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
    Trans-Miss Hellcats

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson
Working...
X