Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Guidelines

Hallo Kamadraden,

I am excited to bring you the UNIFORM GUIDELINES for Die Neuner. Please notice that there are some unique items listed below that have been documented to the 9th Ohio Infantry. We are are currently organzing bully buys for a number of these items which will be announced at a later date. Additionally, we will host a livestream on Sunday, June 7 to answer any questions you have.

Headgear
    Preferred: Hardee hat (undressed in new condition) or Kepi w/ havelock
    Acceptable: Black Civilian Hats, Forage Caps, or Ohio Regulation Parade Hat

Jacket
    Preferred: Federal Issue Fatigue Blouse or Frock Coat
    Not Accepted: State Jackets / SA Jacket

Pants
    Strongly Preferred: Dark Blue Pants
    Accepted: Gray w/ Black Stripe (Ohio Regulation Issue)
    Discouraged but Accepted: Sky Blue Pants

Shirts
    Preferred: Red or Grey woolen contract shirts
    Acceptable: Civilian shirt

Drawers
    Preferred: Army Issue (canton flannel)
    Acceptable: Civilian Drawers

Footwear
    US Army Issued Bootees

Weapon & Accoutrements
    1st & 3rd Company
    Preferred: 1855 Harper’s Ferry Rifle w/ Maynard system w/ bayonet and appropriate accoutrements.
    Acceptable: 1861 Springfield Muskets w/ bayonet and appropriate accoutrements.
    Not Allowed: 1853 Enfield Rifles, OVM Brass, or Turner Belts

2nd Company
    Preferred: 1842 Springfield smoothbore musket w/ bayonet and appropriate accoutrements.
    Acceptable: 1861 Springfield Muskets w/ bayonet or any percussion .69 cal (1816 conversion, etc.) and appropriate accoutrements.
    Not Allowed: 1853 Enfield Rifles, OVM Brass, or Turner Belts

Knapsack
    Strongly Preferred: Double-Bag Knapsack or Ohio Pattern Knapsack
    Accepted: Blanket Roll

Blanket
    US Issued

Ground Cloth
    Preferred: NONE
    Acceptable: Civilian Rubber Blanket / Tarred Ground Cloth

Tentage
    NONE

Canteen
    Preferred: India Rubber Canteen
    Acceptable: M1858 Smoothside Canteen w/ jean cover.

Haversack
    Preferred: India Rubber Haversack
    Accepted: Federal Issued Tarred Haversack
    Stephen Pavey
    "The Broadside Mess"

Re: Uniform Guidelines

May the Hardee hats have the plumes and brass, or must they have no decorations?
    Jason Smith

Comment

Hi Jason!

I apologize for the delay but I am just now seeing this post.

The "hats" that the 9th Ohio Infantry were issued wasn't an actual Hardee hat but is what is actually known as the "Ohio Fatigue Hat". Hardee Hats are being accepted as a reasonable accommodation as there are not many "Ohio Fatigue Hats" out in the hobby at this time. There is potential for a run of these being done for Die Neuner which will be announced at a later date.

Regarding your question about brass, if you are wearing a Hardee Hat, please try to use one in a new, relatively unused condition and without brass/plumes. Letters from the original guys mention them receiving "hats without feathers".

Let me know if you have any further questions!
      Stephen Pavey
      "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

I have heard about these hats. Weren't they styled after the hats worn by Garibaldi's men?
        Jason Smith

Comment

Originally posted by PaveyWV View Post
          Hi Jason!

I apologize for the delay but I am just now seeing this post.

The "hats" that the 9th Ohio Infantry were issued wasn't an actual Hardee hat but is what is actually known as the "Ohio Fatigue Hat". Hardee Hats are being accepted as a reasonable accommodation as there are not many "Ohio Fatigue Hats" out in the hobby at this time. There is potential for a run of these being done for Die Neuner which will be announced at a later date.

Regarding your question about brass, if you are wearing a Hardee Hat, please try to use one in a new, relatively unused condition and without brass/plumes. Letters from the original guys mention them receiving "hats without feathers".

Let me know if you have any further questions!
          What was the difference? The only picture I could find looked like the crown was lower and the soldier had the brim rolled. That was done with 1858 Hardee's often.. I see Dirty Billy has a Hardee US #36 that is a Cincinnati Depot but it looks pretty similar to a 1858. I e-mailed them for clarification but no response. I figure if I'm going to get a '42 Smoothbore and .69 caliber box and bayonet for this event,I might as well have the right hat.
          Last edited by doc; 09-13-2020, 06:50 AM.
          Joe Coyle

Comment

Is it OK if I use an 1855 Springfield repro for this event? It is currently the only rifle I have. I will be falling in with Colin Zimmerman's company.
            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post

What was the difference? The only picture I could find looked like the crown was lower and the soldier had the brim rolled. That was done with 1858 Hardee's often.. I see Dirty Billy has a Hardee US #36 that is a Cincinnati Depot but it looks pretty similar to a 1858. I e-mailed them for clarification but no response. I figure if I'm going to get a '42 Smoothbore and .69 caliber box and bayonet for this event,I might as well have the right hat.
              Hey Joe! Sorry for the delay. I have attached an excellent photo showing the "Hardee Style" hat that was being issued to the other early Ohio regiments being formed around the same time as the 9th OVI. If my memory is correct, I believe this guy is from the 8th OVI.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
              Stephen Pavey
              "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Is it OK if I use an 1855 Springfield repro for this event? It is currently the only rifle I have.
                Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Working...
                X