Federal Registration!-CRAMPTON'S GAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Registration!-CRAMPTON'S GAP

I must note, from all the things I have heard about Burkittsville-2001, a lot is to be envied of those participants. I was not in attendance, although I'd sure like to be this year, permitting the scrounging of a formidable kit. I got out of the hobby several years ago and am just getting my toes wet again. I use the word hobby cordially yet with a hint of uncertainty. I was just beginning to get a taste, before I left, of the true sense of what one back then really was like as a person, as a soldier, and as fifer in the Federal Army. That taste was far from sweet but by no means bitter. For me it was addicting, and maybe that scared me a little. But mostly it was a refreshing feeling and a treasure I wouldn't trade for pots of gold or splotches of land.

As a kid it was hard to imagine wanting to do anything else with my life other then to become an actor. To constantly imitate and act as someone else, anyone, as long as that meant I didn't have to be me for a day. Not that I don't enjoy my company, don't get me wrong! Just the same, I don't dare make a relation to theatrical or film acting to any form of reenacting. I simply believe that in order for an accomplished or amateur actor to do the best at what he or she does, one must invest one's self into the craft. On second thought, the comparison for me is suitable just fine, alas I do dare relate! The opportunity to share the reliving of history accurately is a rare thing. Research and the demanding weather of time have permitted us to become a grain closer to the minds and hearts of those involved in a tiny morsel within a vast era of American history. Even though it seems, as all pasts do, farther away because of the winds which push them.

I am inclined to believe the American Civil War was one of the last periods of Romanticism, if such a thing existed in a great many hearts. By that I simply mean, the righteous values held dear before the onslaughts of technological advances unsettled one's emotions and philosophical reasoning. I don't mean to bore you with my feeble articulated feelings and opinions. I just don't understand why the registration for Federals for Burkittsville-2004 is a modest 150 or so, when the necessary number for three companies is 275-300, with the fast approaching registration deadline of August 1st around the corner. I do understand everyone has things going on in their lives. I just hope that the turn out is well and those who do make it have a vitalizing and memorable experience. Any response will be greatly and warmly appreciated. Thanks for taking your time to read my post. I am fervently and unconditionally your humble servant.

Jonathan Gillis
    1st. Minn. Co. D

"All proceeds from the event will be donated to the preservation and interpretation of the South Mountain Battlefield and Hospital "D"."
    Last edited by ; 07-17-2004, 07:26 AM.

Re: Federal Registration!-CRAMPTON'S GAP

I'm going to register and I'll galvanize. I hope to get some friends to do likewise. I only need some good leathers which I'm picking up in August. I hope this gets off the ground. Any numbers on Reb registration?

-Dave Eggleston
    Dave Eggleston

Comment

Working...
    X