Christmas at the Fort (Fort Gaines)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas at the Fort (Fort Gaines)

The staff of the Fort would like to keep campaigners returning to their events after the great job of our January Living History. The Sloppy Beagles were asked to put together a group and bring them down the the annual Christmas at the Fort event on December 4-5.

The positive- The weather should be better, if it's not we can always seek shelter in the ark we built last year. NO RED BEANS. Have a chance to see the restored rooms that were blocked with orange tape at the event in January.

The flip side- This event is NOT an EBUFU event but a campaigner adjunct to the regular event. As much as the fort wants another event like last year a)I'm not ready to do another full scale quality LH (b) I'm not sure it's in their budget (c) we haven't thought of anything brand new to marvel you guys with.

There will be mainstream reenactors on site along with us, BUT we will focus on infantry and artillery drill on the large coastal guns. I hope some of you can come back down and help pay the fort back for the good time they showed us in January.

Clothing

Coats – jean, cassimere, satinette construction with hand sewn buttonholes at a minimum.

1.Frock coats
    2.Battleshirts
    3.Commutation shell jackets
    4.Civilian pattern sack coats

Pants– jean, cassimere, satinette construction with hand sewn buttonholes at a minimum.
    1.Civilian pattern
    2.Military pattern

NO federal sky blue trousers will be allowed.

Shoes
    1.Civilian pattern shoes
    2.Federal issue shoes
    3.Infantry boots

Canvas camp shoes are discouraged for this event due to expected weather conditions

Headgear
    1.Civilian slouch hat
    2.CS kepi

NO shapeless hillbilly hat blanks, CS or US forage caps, US dress hats, wheel hats, hat brass, or animal parts.

Shirts
    1.Civilian pattern shirt made of woven material with 3/8 inch bone, china, or mother of pearl buttons
    2.CS issue shirt

Drawers – Canton flannel or cotton muslin / osnaburg of military or civilian pattern

Socks - Woven wool or cotton socks with natural colors. NO elastic or rag wool socks-

Overcoats

1.Documented CS pattern made of jean, kersey, satinette or cassimere
    2.Federal issue greatcoats may be used during non-public hours

Accoutrements

1.Cartridge Boxes
    2.CS issue boxes – preferably something early war western theater – Magee and George, Baton Rouge Arsenal, etc.
    3.US 1857 pattern box

Cap pouches
    1.CS issue cap pouches – same as cartridge boxes
    2.US 1850 pattern pouch

Bayonet scabbards

1.CS issue
    2.Federal sewn scabbard or 2 rivet

7 and 8 rivet scabbards will not be allowed – if that’s all you have, don’t bring a bayonet.

Haversacks - Documented Confederate issue haversack of painted or unpainted cloth. No federal haversacks.

Canteen

1.CS tin drum
    2.Documented pattern wooden drum canteen
    3.US smooth side canteen. No sky blue or dark blue covers.

Knapsacks

1.Mexican war
    2.CS single bag
    3.Militia hard packs

Long arms

1.1853 Enfield
    2.1842 Springfield
    3.1861 Springfield
    4.1855 Springfield, 1816/22 conversions

Blankets
    1. Civilian coverlets or 2-piece blankets
    2. CS issue blankets
    3. US issue blankets

Eyewear

1.Period frames only.

NO modern eyewear of ANY kind! (Contacts excluded)

Note: You should anticipate cold temperatures and a fair amount of wind at the fort since it is on a coastal island. When packing, bring warm items!
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Christmas at the Fort (Fort Gaines)

Patrick,

I've lost track of the document, but surely you have a copy of the delightful diary entry describing Christmas day at the Fort (1861 maybe?)---including the parade with men banging pie pans. Do please post it as you set the stage for this event!
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

"Christmas began this morning before daylight with me; two glasses of egg-nog came for each before we were out of bed, which took away our appetites for breakfast;then the reveille began to beat, when a large party of the infantryseized tin pans and every thing that would rattle or jingle about the quarters and we followed the band all through the regiment singing and tin panning the tune of "Dixie"- it has been a long time since I have heard, or made such a racket"

Williams' letter to his wife for that day is pretty long, but I'll continue with more later when time allows.

Cheers
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,
        I'm in. I believe in what you're trying to make happen down there.

Cordially,

Comment

Thanks Keith. The way I have looked at parks in this hobby is 'Work with who will work with you' and things will turn out for the best. The fort has gone through some serious changes and renovations since I have been there and the staff is chomping at the bit to get better living historians down there. The guns are still getting repaired, but by December everything should be in place so we can drill.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,

Will the Fort be closed to the public during the weekend? Some family members were intrested in viewing the Fort and watching parts of the event if available.
            Wayne Aymond
            Sgt, 16th La.

"If it were a sin to covet honor, then we were the most offending souls alive"
            - T.G. Pegus, 16th Louisiana Infantry

Comment

Here's an excerpt from the Island's website, which shows the open hours. Don't get hinked up at the description though---its not nearly as farby as it sounds, they just haven't changed the text in a number of years.
              ------
              "20th Annual "Christmas at the Fort" : Saturday-Sunday (Event ends Sunday after Lunch}
              Experience the 1861 Christmas with the Confederate garrison. A living history weekend for the whole family. A letter home from James M. Williams with the 21st Alabama Infantry Volunteers stationed at Fort Gaines in 1861 povides the blueprint for this event. Come visit with "Papa Noel", watch cooking demonstrations, candle dipping, blacksmith demonstrations and much more. Children will have the chance to make a seashell Christmas ornament.
              Fort opens daily from 9am to 5pm.
              For info call 251 861-6992"
              -------

The reality is, once those big gates shut for the evening, and you step into the casemates, you're in another world, a place like no other, where you can feel that 'period buzz', sometimes maybe more than you wish. My all time favorite Christmas memory is stepping out of one of those casemates in search of just a bit more firewood on a crisp, clear, windy, 20 degree night, about 3:00 am. As I returned with an apron full of wood, a shooting star lit up the night, bright as day.

As for your family, there are a number of fine things for them to see and do on the Island--they'll be well entertained, and won't be hurrying you to go home.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I might go just to grab another burger at the gas station at the corner.

mmm, mmmm, good,
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Wayne,

The Fort Gaines is open everyday except Christmas and New Years.
                  Colbi Rosenthal
                  Hogg Drivers

Just a sinner trying to change

Rosenthal/Ross 2018

Comment

Because the fort supplies a Saturday evening meal it is VERY important that any intersted parties let me know in advance that they will be attending.

Thanks
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                    X