World's Youngest Event Organizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Youngest Event Organizer

To all and sundry who organized, led, participated or otherwise made this event possible -- merci beaucoup! (A little Dauphin Island lingo...)

Yep, it rained (sideways at times) but the sentries remained at their posts, the camraderie was warm, the casemates were dry (sort of), and it was a special treat to see so many "authentic" folks in one place. In short, a heck of a way to spend your 44th birthday!

Hat's off to Pat Landrum, who now may officially assume the title,
    "World's Youngest Event Organizer"

Cordially,
    K. Bartsch

P.S. The garrison cook should be immediately detached for service with the army in the field as he has proven his ability to use fire and metal to wreak awful havoc on armed troops.

Re: World's Youngest Event Organizer

Images! Where are the images?!!! If the period photographer could even work in that sideways rain......

All the women on my office staff flock to my computer when I've got GOOD period images on screen, and I promised new ones in the wake of the January events.

I can't pass off farbery as a good picture--they've learned better and they aren't even reenactors. They are tired of the Christmas revelry screen savers and want me to get back to the real war!

Bring on the images!!
    Last edited by Spinster; 01-20-2004, 12:55 PM.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Keith:

Eventhough the rain was unexpected and heavy, a great majority of the participants stayed on through the end. The A frames were useless as the parade field swamped out. I was very appreciative to the WIGS and the infantry for helping us with pushing the cannon and limber chest up the ramparts and again to the casemate and then to the parking lot.

The infantry were highly motivated in learning the artillery drill and gave superb service. I noticed that with untrained infantry, you don't have the problem of retraining or "stamping out" old behaviors. They were like a blank canvas that could be trained right. Ft. Gaines taught me that it's a good idea to get new folks started on the right foot, without having to erase years of "reenactor" habits.

I am glad that Chris Utley again set up shop and I appreciate the use of his fire place after ours was flooded out. His pies sold out rather quickly I noticed.

Patrick did a fine job with the event and if the weather had cooperated we could have made some real progress. The rain really put a damper on the training but, we have a good story to tell.

Too everyone that drove down and participated, it was good to see everyone again and I enjoyed being at the fort, I will try to visit it again in fairer weather.
      Gregory Deese
      Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
      "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

On behalf of Pat Landrum and myself, thanks to all that attended and helped to make the event a success.

Not only did most of the participants have a good time (yes, even including the hurricane) we managed to make a cash donation to the fort as well as bringing in quite a bit of gate revenue for them.

Mrs. Lawson, I'd recommend visiting the Western Independent Grays website - I believe Art Milbert was posting some pictures from the event there.

Thanks, gents!
        Andrew "Abner" Martin
        AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Abner, Pat, and all others involved,
          This was a great event. The rain only made it more memoriable. Thanks for everyones hardwork.

Once Mr. Milbert sends me the photos they will be posted on the WIG website.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

The photos are now up on the WIG website.
            Colbi Rosenthal
            Hogg Drivers

Just a sinner trying to change

Rosenthal/Ross 2018

Comment

Working...
            X