Drill for Picketts Mill Federals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill for Picketts Mill Federals?

Fellas; What type of drill will the Federals be using at Pickett's Mill?
    I recall at PM 2001, we used Scott's if I'm correct.

Moderator if this thread doesn't belong here, please move to appropriate forum.

Thanks,
    Harold Adams
    Co. F, 48th NYVI
    The Southeast Federals
    Harold Adams
    Co. F, 48th NYVI
    "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
    Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Re: Drill for Picketts Mill Federals?

Casey's drill. the use of scott's was peculiar to the 41st ohio. One twist is that we will be marching in the same column of 8 that we used last time. If anyone has Hazens memiors handy maybe tthey could post the part about this movment.
    john
    [FONT=Georgia]John Cleaveland[/FONT]

Comment

Thank you John. I wasn't quite sure if it would be the same as last time.
      Kindest Regards;
      Harold Adams
      Co. F, 48th NY Vols.
      Harold Adams
      Co. F, 48th NYVI
      "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
      Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

John,

I'm completely unfamiliar with a "column of 8", and any advance tutorial of this peculiar manuever would be greatly appreciated.

See you all in a few weeks.
        Dave Grieves

Comment

Dave,

It is not something that was spelled out in Casey's but it was something that Hazen used quite often, especially when going through rough terrain towards enemy works. I will take a looksee at both Casey's and Hazen's memiors and see what I can come up with tomorrow. Take care.
          [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Hazen's account for this Manouver...

Hello All,

I found the account for Hazen moving his infantry in a column of eight. It is contained within his memiors titled "A Narrative of Military Service." On pages 418-419 he writes;

"In actual war it is necessary to simplify the movement of troops as much as possible. I know of nothing so good as the movement by wings of regiments, particularly where regiments are small, as ours became after some service. It gives facility and quickness, and shortens the column by one half when marching by the flank, as we generally did. The movement is little more than the folding of the two wings, as if by a hinge in the centre; the color-guard, which remains faced to the front, being the hinge. By this movement my command with ease and rapidity formed line of battle, moved in into column, and disposed itself in camp after the day's march. The regiment can be formed for action in any direction by a single command. The movement was formulated in the following circular. Towards the close of the war I always employed this method, with a saving of at least half the time ordinarily required for such movements."

Juniper Creek, S.C., March 14, 1865.

I desire the regiments of this division to be exercised in "movement in eight ranks." These movements have the great advantage of simplicity and quickness. The are also adapted to all grounds, and are especially advantageous to pass defiles, when moving in line to the front and when driving an enemy along a road. A regiment being in line, faced to the front to move forward in eight ranks: the color-guard stands fast, the two wings are faced towards it, and at the command "March," the quard moves to the front, the two wings filing to the right and left following it. When reaching a given point, if it is desired to form line facing to the front, at the command, "Forward into line, march" the guard halts or keeps moving as indicated, and the wings form forward on the right and left at the required speed. If, when moving, it is desired to form line facing to the right, the right wing halts and faces, and the left forms "on the right by file into line." If it is desired to form line facing the left, the left wing is halted and faced, and the right wing forms "on the left by file into line."
            At the command "movement in eight ranks," the wings should at once face inwards. The foregoing is all that is necessary to make any formation that is required in actual service; and as the movement can be executed at any speed with the aid of a good staff, a brigade can be manoeuvered in one third the time required by the usual method.
            In changing directions of long lines, a staff-officer should be sent to driect the head of each regiment, and coming on the new line each deploys independently.
            I desire the command familiarized with the foregoing movements, and to always use it when it is wished to move doubled, and in going into camp.
            [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X