• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PogueMahone
    replied
    Re: Perryville AAR

Jerry,

Some guy on the "other forum" trumpeted that Perryville was a great example of mainstream and progressive combining in the field and everyone getting along. He pointed to this thread on the AC as his evidence of such. So, I come over here and read this and find mainstreamers boasting of mainstream deeds.

That guy thinks that, because these people are posting over here, all these posters are progressives. How many others think that? Obviously, many of the posters here think the same thing.

I think it needs to be clarified. That's all.

Derek,

Yes, it is a broad brush. I usually don't do that. But the plank is wide and I need to cover as much surface as I can at one time.

No huge or hidden agenda here. Just trying to get the truth out there.

Leave a comment:

• Dale Beasley
    replied

Jerry,
    You are so right. This type of conflict is not good for anything, especially this hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Gouge
    replied

Originally posted by NC5thCav
    I think calling anyone who didin't attend with unit x or y a mainstreamer is painting with a pretty broad brush. I didn't come with the AoP, because I don't have a Federal impression. My unit is a mess of three guys. Some of us asked around for a good, authentic CS unit for quite a while before the event. The unit we found was the CS provost. They had good kits, no canvas, and were good guys to hang out with. Everything my mess had at the event we marched in with Friday night. My sleeping gear consisted of one blanket, thats it. I don't think I should get labeled something because of who camped within sight of me. We camped where we had to. Camping a half mile from the rest of the guys wasn't exactly an option. I agree that alot of mainstreamers are using this forum now, but some of the remarks being made against them are being pretty broad.
    Some of my pards have made some pretty harsh statements. I think we should be talking about our experience and not comparing ourselves and methods to others or judging others. We did it our way they did it their way. So what? I get tired of reading about how one group is better than another and we did it right and no one else did. Why not just describe what we did, how we felt, leave out the comparisions with other groups, avoid judgmental comments, invite others to come play with us in the future and leave it at that?

Leave a comment:

• NC5thCav
    replied

Originally posted by PogueMahone
    So, yeah, I think that if you attended Perryville and you weren't supporting the AoP, you were a mainstreamer. It's harsh, but that is what I think.

I think calling anyone who didin't attend with unit x or y a mainstreamer is painting with a pretty broad brush. I didn't come with the AoP, because I don't have a Federal impression. My unit is a mess of three guys. Some of us asked around for a good, authentic CS unit for quite a while before the event. The unit we found was the CS provost. They had good kits, no canvas, and were good guys to hang out with. Everything my mess had at the event we marched in with Friday night. My sleeping gear consisted of one blanket, thats it. I don't think I should get labeled something because of who camped within sight of me. We camped where we had to. Camping a half mile from the rest of the guys wasn't exactly an option. I agree that alot of mainstreamers are using this forum now, but some of the remarks being made against them are being pretty broad.

Leave a comment:

• Silvana Siddali
    replied

I can't exactly contribute to this part of the conversation, since I'm far from expert on the details of an authentic military impression and I didn't attempt to approach the camps. Though I'd like to say that I thought the military side of things looked good to me. I was very impressed with the long columns of well-drilled, disciplined CSA troops I saw marching by while we ladies were waving handkerchiefs. Nice touch, lifting the hats and presenting bouquets!

I was equally stirred by the sight of the USA artillery silhouetted against the sky. From what I could see, I thought the fellows of both sides responded quickly and efficiently to orders. The Living History group did an outstanding job and presented an accurate and very useful educational scenario for the visitors. They're to be commended. Judging from the intelligent questions from the spectators & the lively discussion, I thought that was very well done indeed.

I was also impressed with the fact that most -- well, let's say at least 80% -- of the civilians pulled together a workable impression. I won't go into detail because it's not relevant to this side of the forum, but the only major mistakes & problems I witnessed were not by participants, but rather by the town residents who "dressed up" to see the reenactment (as far as I could tell, anyway.)

My sense was that the scenes that were set up (the village, the minstrel shows, the Sanitary Commission, etc) were nicely done and conducive to a good period display. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think the children had it just about right, and they were (for me) one of the high lights of the event. Anyway, just my two cents. I can't classify the event as one thing or another, for reasons stated above, but I did think that there were many instances of excellent impressions and scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

Originally posted by JEBminnesota
    I was in the Western Brigade camp and we did the exact same thing as you did. Do I too understand that because I didn't attend the event with the AoP means that I am a farb?
    You DID NOT do the same thing as the AOP did? Did you actually walk the 1/2 mile to our camp (doubt it)? If you have a great kit and sleep on the ground, but are still going to only mainstream events and attending events in the canvas city then you are NOT doing the same thing? Sorry, buddy, but you don't have a clue!

Jim Butler

Leave a comment:

• PogueMahone
    replied

Mr. Beedle,

I don't think I said anything about Perryville being a farbfest. Nor will I. I've been to farbfests and Perryville was a better event than that.

I don't think Mill Springs will be a farbfest.

What I have said is that many, quite likely most, of the posters on this thread are mainstreamers in good kits and nothing more. They do not attend progressive events or those events otherwise known for their quality. They attend mainstream events and are solely members of mainstream units. The forum is no longer dominated by those that push the envelope.

Before the gnashing of teeth begins, there is no argument that many of us attend mainstream events, for whatever reasons we may have, but they are not the primary focus of what we do and we accept those events will not be up to our standards. We are not here complaining about the event. Haven't you read the posts? We all had a good time and are glad of it.

The problem is guys like you are saying you did the same thing as the AoP, yet you have no idea what the AoP did or does in the field. This event was not below your normal standard, it was the crest of the wave for you.

You take offense at my observations, but it doesn't make them less true.

And, it isn't hard to raise a 40 man mainstream company. My old unit fielded two 40 man companies a couple of times and once fielded an 80+ man company at an event. It is harder to field a 25 man company in a progressive unit and we all know it. There are several obstacles that mainstream units do not have to overcome that the progressive company does.

So, yeah, I think that if you attended Perryville and you weren't supporting the AoP, you were a mainstreamer. It's harsh, but that is what I think.

Last edited by PogueMahone; 10-14-2006, 07:29 AM. Reason: Freudian slip?

Leave a comment:

• Ross L. Lamoreaux
    replied

Whether Perryville was mainstream or C/P/H or whatever classification you want to give it, I found myself absolutely lost in the period on several occasions. As orderly sergeant of Co A in the AoP, I'd forgotten just how much is involved in the day-to-day administration of an infantry battalion, a fact that was demonstrated to me almost hourly by our most cabable sergeant major and adjutant (by the way Mr. Runyon, it was great working with you and meeting you last weekend). By calling roll at least four times per day, by checking over detail rosters and insuring guards were posted at the proper times, and by just worrying if the men were up to marching and fighting at the appropriate times, I got my first of the rushes. Then as I was freezing in my woefully inadequate issue blanket at 2 AM, I moved over to a fire, stoked in up, and pulled out a Beadle's novel "Florida", hoping that would tire me out - well it didn't, it only added to the rush as I looked out and saw the silouette of one of my men walking a post in the harvest moon. With every soldierly bitch and moan, with every empty canteen that needed filling, with every battalion evolution that had to be practiced, and with everyone in the camp looking like they belonged, I got that rush. I've been to "better" events, and many that were worse by far, but none that provided to this humble writer the reminder of why I do this - to preserve the memory of the common soldier, and it was a constant reminder. Was it a constant first person inspired period rush - NO, and I was as guilty as the next man for modern conversation and references, but when I was alone or with a handful of comrades, I can't even count the number of times I was in awe of things. By Saturday's revielle, I almost forgot about almost being killed by a cement truck on the way up there. It was an honor and privilege to serve for and with the quality of men that campaigned with us, from a teenaged drummer to a man in his late sixties, and every age in between, and with that I know you get out of an event what you put into it.

Leave a comment:

• JEBminnesota
    replied

The best part of the event for me was being with the AoP. We slept, marched, ate and crapped like soldiers on campaign. Since the Federal army was on campaign when it hit Perryville, it was quite appropriate. Our rations were period correct (as always with the AoP) and we used no tentage, as was appropriate to the campaign, and we didn't have no stinking porta johns in camp. We didn't have to suffer through any bad theatrics of bad "firper" or Monty Python, nor did we have any bad impressions in our ranks.

Those that did not fit into the AoP model were ejected.

Hopefully, next time, at Mill Springs, some of our fellow posters here will take the plunge and find out how much better the AoP can make such an event.

Sorry for stirring the pot, but glad to see others feel the same way.
    I was in the Western Brigade camp and we did the exact same thing as you did. Do I too understand that because I didn't attend the event with the AoP means that I am a farb? That seems funny to me because I dress the same and act the same the only thing different is my company had 40 men in the ranks which is about the same size as the AoP right wing.

I am sure someone will explain this too me.

Hope to see you all in Mill Springs next year and look forward in hearing about how it was a farb fest.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Gouge
    replied

The best part of the event for me was being with the AoP. We slept, marched, ate and crapped like soldiers on campaign. Since the Federal army was on campaign when it hit Perryville, it was quite appropriate. Our rations were period correct (as always with the AoP) and we used no tentage, as was appropriate to the campaign, and we didn't have no stinking porta johns in camp. We didn't have to suffer through any bad theatrics of bad "firper" or Monty Python, nor did we have any bad impressions in our ranks.

Hopefully, next time, at Mill Springs, some of our fellow posters here will take the plunge and find out how much better the AoP can make such an event.

I know that the men who chopped down the trees to build the "bridge" over the creek didn't think much of the exercise given that the "bridge" did not end up being used. However, I think that activities such as this which after the fact seem inconsistent with the best use of manpower were often the same activities that actually happened. Similar in this aspect is the typical "hurry up and wait" routine we often experience. I also thought the sinks were great and suprisingly there was no stench.

I enjoyed making a stew Saturday evening. Salt beef, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, rice and a bit of pepper made for a very nice stew and hit the spot after a day of campaigning. One of the most relaxing aspects of campaigning is cooking the meal and the anticipation that goes along with wondering how it will turn out.

We discussed every aspect of a harvest moon. Corporal Merritt regaled us with herertofore unknown aspects of a harvest moon. It was very enlightening (pun intended). Though we traveled light we had no trouble staying warm around the campfires throughout the night.

Leave a comment:

• PogueMahone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

Originally posted by Hank Trent
    I agree, and one difference I see is how the event is discussed. There's a difference between reporting something like:

"The best part of the event was getting drunk with my friends and listening to Monty Python skits,"

compared to,

"The best part of the event was..." followed by a report of some aspect that authentic campaigners might wish they could have experienced, or something that worked well as a carpe eventum that authentic campaigners might be able to use in the future, etc.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank is again making the point that has already been stated over and over. No one is debating the merits or non-merits of the Perryville event (although that is useful AAR info). The problem is arising because NON-authentics are coming on this board and stating how they are authentic, but did it in the mainstream part of the venue. To me, this is insulting and a farbism to this forum. If they are not supporting the authentic end of the hobby...be it with a c/p/h at an adjunct or at fully immersive event, then their posts have not merit in helping our cause.

Regards,
    Jim Butler

Leave a comment:

• ElizabethClark
    replied

Brief Moderator Note

Please confine your remarks to discussing the success or failure of the progressive and history heavy elements of this event.

AAR threads do generally run their course. Discussion of the history-heavy aspects of this event is encouraged; discussion of the "smorgasboard" aspects of this event is not. Please review Mr. Trent's post just above for a very neat summary of how to do this.

Leave a comment:

• ElizabethClark
    replied

The mods are watching, never fear.

We're also watching for signatures--and Mr. Hobbit, yours is lacking.

I've also edited out your euphemistic scatalogical reference. Hiding it doesn't make it invisible.

Leave a comment:

• Hobbit
    replied

I'm suprised a mod hasn't stepped in by now to stop the bitching.
    This is petty

I'm out boyos,
    Last edited by ElizabethClark; 10-13-2006, 06:55 PM. Reason: removing scatalogical reference

Leave a comment:

Working...
X