• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DougCooper
    replied
    Re: Perryville AAR

Originally posted by Chris Suppelsa
    I second that
    The next NSA National event is Mill Springs, KY, currently scheduled for the last week of September, 2007. The NSA will be attempting to push the bar a bit higher again on scenario and impression fidelity. Grab your Tennessee frock or commutation jacket and march with Crittenden and Zollicoffer or fall in with Thomas' boys in blue. This will be one event where we will attempt to get close to the actual numbers engaged in the original units at the point of attack, and by rotating units as per the original battle, attempt to match the duration as well.

Planning has been ongoing even as the NSA prepared for Perryville, and this will ramp up very soon.

Like Perryville, the State Park at Mill Springs is a gem, and the goal once again is preservation and education via a great event on the original ground.

Here are some links (the Battle goes by many other names, among them Fishing Creek and Logan's Crossroads):

http://www.millsprings.net/ (details on the event, etc)

Mill Springs Fishing Creek, Felix K. Zollicoffer's main responsibility was to guard Cumberland Gap, he advanced west into Civil War Kentucky to strengthen control in the area around Somerset

Stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• flattop32355
    replied

Originally posted by Spinster
    Alas Mr. Bierderman, the answer is-----every major command area was infiltrated-----by civilian men on foot or on horse on either Friday or Saturday evening. Enough to take troop counts and to know where commanders were sleeping, right down to which pallet on which side of which fly or tent.
    Hmmmmm...not a good thing. We shall need to work on that.
    And to think I got into trouble for challenging a Federal staff member who was still in modern clothing as to what he was doing in the division HQ area on Friday evening when we were tasked to guard it...

And it is "Biederman". The extra "r" is a common mistake, so don't feel badly about it. My Father was Mr. Biederman; I'm Bernie, or Doc, or "Hey, you...!"

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Alas Mr. Bierderman, the answer is-----every major command area was infiltrated-----by civilian men on foot or on horse on either Friday or Saturday evening. Enough to take troop counts and to know where commanders were sleeping, right down to which pallet on which side of which fly or tent.

Last year my girls left little love notes for some select gentlemen, based on a challenge issued to get through all those pickets and passwords. This year we gals had other fish to fry, but still had some civilian men making the rounds.

One feller went back and forth so many times, I've got his socks in my mending basket...... :D

Leave a comment:

• csa blacksmith
    replied

Originally posted by flattop32355
    I'm curious as to which Federal camp you sneaked into? We were all supposed to have guards up and functioning, down to the battalion level, each night.
    Well, I guess it wasn't that effective. We were going to make a raid on the federal camp for good fire wood, ours was wet and green. It wouldn't burn.:(

Leave a comment:

• NC5thCav
    replied

Saturday night I simply ditched my gray shell jacket and walked into the Federal camp, carrying my enfield, accoutraments, and even wearing a gray kepi still. I had on dark blue trowsers, but still. I walked right by one sentry and even stood around a campfire with a bunch of Feds who were discussing the fact that it was a dry county and where to procure booze, and nobody ever questioned me. So the guards must have really sucked. There were also five more rebs in the tree line around the Federal camp at the same time.
    Last edited by NC5thCav; 10-11-2006, 10:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flattop32355
    replied

Originally posted by csa blacksmith
    Ya, what was the deal with the yanks standing there while we poured powder into them saturday morning? We were a bit confused.
    For your entertainment pleasure:

We of the Army of the Ohio were in line to the left front of your advance, when some other Federal force came in on your flank. Our Colonel was wounded, and command passed to our Major. At some later point, you rebs flanked the other Federals by marching across our front and turning your backs to us and pouring fire into the other line. Our Major saw what was happening, and began to move us against your extremely exposed position. Even a lowly corporal like me saw what was happening and smiled at the opportunity to wreak some havoc on your line.

At that point, some higher ranking muckety-muck trotted up on his horse and informed our beloved Major that he should not be taking such action without higher orders, and demanded that we cease and desist moving upon you all.
    He reluctantly complied.

What he should have done was shoot the idiot and continued on...but I digress.

That may be an example of why we Feds were not more agressive in the field.

Leave a comment:

• flattop32355
    replied

Originally posted by majdoc
    Also it was fun wondering(sneeking) Thru Yankee camp Sat. night. You can learn a whole lot of what is going on from people who like to talk about what there army is going to do. :D
    I'm curious as to which Federal camp you sneaked into? We were all supposed to have guards up and functioning, down to the battalion level, each night.

Leave a comment:

• yankeecav
    replied

Originally posted by Federal Bummer
    To all those in company C 42 Indiana (AoP) bully for you! You guys were great and it was a pleasure being your orderly.
    Steve,

I really enjoyed my first event with the AoP and it was such an honor for me since the AoP was using the 42nd as it's impression. Co. C had a great bunch of guys that made all the hard work worth while. I would serve with you guys anytime, anywhere.

Tom Lowe
    Pvt., 42nd Indiana Vol. Inf.
    (Bvt. Corp. for color guard at Perryville)

Leave a comment:

• Anna Allen
    replied

Had a great time at Perryville. Enjoyed seeing old friends and making new ones. I had my one period moment at the black face minstrel show on Saturday night. That was killer. I felt like I stepped back in time when I entered the theater packed with people. I almost didn't think I'd get a seat until a fine young man gave up his place for Silvana and I.

All in all, I had a fair weekend. Somehow I always forget how cold it is at night and spent most of the time trying to keep my toes from falling off. But I think I know what to do next time to prevent this from happening again. It's not like I didn't have enough wool blankets either. Ah well...it's all part of the experience. You know it's a successful event if you come home with a sore body, you're dead tired because you managed to get two hours of sleep a night at most, a bad cold and sore throat and you find out you lost four pounds because you forgot to eat all weekend...oops. Yes, I really did have a great time and I can't wait for the next national event!

Here are a few pics I took.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Suppelsa
    Guest replied

Originally posted by hoosiersojer
    The worst thing about this event for me was the fact that it had to end so soon.Bring on the next National!
    I second that

Leave a comment:

• PogueMahone
    replied

Reading this thread makes me wonder if I was at the same event as some of you. I had a great time, but I was with the AoP and only saw Babylon when we ventured out to battle and when I visited the "village" Saturday night.

Hints at drunkenness and did someone say they did Monty Python around the campfire? First time bacon eaters even!! I'm glad you boys were camping mainstream and not screwing up our good time.

Sorry, boys, but I'm more convinced than ever that this forum is overrun with mainstream wannabe's and hardkewls.

A Dead Whale or A Stove Boat,

everytime,

Joe Smotherman

Leave a comment:

• KyCavMajor
    replied

Originally posted by rebel225
    I just remember sleeping warm and cozy by the fire then something begins to nudge my foot through my canvas bivouac. Then out of no where some thing bites and about takes a chunk out of my ankle.

Tell Indy thanks, my ankle is still sore. :angry_smi :D

It don't matter if I never set up a tent again I still got to set up and pack all of dad and sis's tents and junk

Paul "Curly" Richardson
    9th Ky Cavalry
    Don't worry, we got Indy's stomach pumped in time lol :D He says don't sleep on his breakfast next time!
    All kidding aside, you done good Curly

Leave a comment:

• KyCavMajor
    replied

Originally posted by csa blacksmith
    Tod,

Your horse eat yankees too? Reb thought they were tastey and good with cetchup.:D

It was good meeting ya, didn't get a chance to catch up with ya during the weekend.
    Taste like chicken I understand.... It was nice meeting you in person Jay, wish we had more time to talk.

Leave a comment:

• hoosiersojer
    replied

Although I have been reenacting for three years now,this was my first National.And all I've got to say...is WOW!I'm more than ready for the next one!Other than the chilly nights and some really aching calves/feet from all the marching over those Kentucky hills,I had an absolutely awesome experience.Had some of those"Traveled-back-in-time" moments,during the battles,especially on Saturday morning.Watching the Confederate lines advancing through the fog towards you just gives you goosebumps.
    It was cool meeting some of you folks from the forums and putting faces with the names,EW Taylor,Flattop.Thanks Jurt for taking the time to show a new guy around.Wished we could have had more time to hang.Special thanks to the guys from the 35th Indiana who gave the Monty Python's Holy Grail dialogue skit about the "Witch"around the fire Friday night.Hilarious and spot-on.
    The worst thing about this event for me was the fact that it had to end so soon.Bring on the next National!

-Kevin Waggoner
    4th OVI,Co.B

Leave a comment:

• pgoudeau
    replied

I had a wonderful time at Perryville. First of all the land was beautiful. Coming from Florida it's nice to see hills and mountains. The weather was better than expected. The cooler temps gave me an extra shot of energy, or maybe it was running around in shorts on Thursday did that to me.
    The Florida federal reenactors fielded two companies under the Army of Ohio. Not a bad turn out I say for driving somewhere around 850 miles one way. I can say after this event us Florida guys are ready for our season to start.

The Battle went well Sat morning, my company was sent on ambush positions to the hill across the main battlefield. We sat around for a good while watching the Union and confederate Cav dueling. I can say one thing, chain fires look impressive at night. We acted more as a reserve force when it seemed that the ambush was hopeless. One thing that stood out to me as looking dumb was when the entire federal army on the right got the order to cease fire. The rebs poured volley after volley into us and we couldn't fire back. I don't know what happened but it seemed rather silly for us just to stand there.

Saturday afternoon our company was sent out on skirmish duty on the left. Well that didn't last too long as we were rolled up the hill by the reb cavalry. After the quick run up the hill we reformed only to be pushed back. I took my hit and enjoyed the rest of the battle.

Sunday's battle to my was by far the best. Again the Army of Ohio was in reserve so we watched most of the battle. Our orders were to protect the union guns from capture. We did just that after about 45 rounds later. My hats off to the brave rebs who took hits on the extreme left (or my right for the union side) along the spectator line.

Sutlers row was an unexpected suprize. It was good to see a mix of mainstream, progressive, and authentic sutlers. I am ashamed to say that I missed the dancing and the minstrel show. Next time I will not fall asleep so early.

In closing I will say it was well worth the time to go to Perryville. I hope everyone who went had at one point or another a wonderful memory from the event.

Soldier in blue,
    Paul Goudeau

Leave a comment:

Working...
X