X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreencoatCross
    replied
    Re: Perryville AAR

Mine and Dan's last minute stop at Bardstown to see the museum paid off later when we ventured into a downtown antique mall. Check out these finds!

The rebel soldier conquers my Medal of Honor winner U.S. Sharpshooter tintype and is the new gem of my collection. Five-button jeancloth frock...facings that seem to match the pants...trimmed with dark colored tape. Sweet.

Brian T. White
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.

------also------
    GHTI/WIG/USSS
    Last edited by GreencoatCross; 07-23-2009, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Suppelsa
    Guest replied

How about the CS drummers who were beating off at 4:30 saturday morning :angry_smi

Leave a comment:

• rebel225
    replied

Originally posted by KyCavMajor
    I kind of thought you were the "Ugly" Paul... lol
    Especially after your first night of campaign style sleeping, in the rain and mud no less! My horse did think you were tasty though. :D
    You will probably never set up a tent again!
    I just remember sleeping warm and cozy by the fire then something begins to nudge my foot through my canvas bivouac. Then out of no where some thing bites and about takes a chunk out of my ankle.

Tell Indy thanks, my ankle is still sore. :angry_smi :D

It don't matter if I never set up a tent again I still got to set up and pack all of dad and sis's tents and junk

Paul "Curly" Richardson
    9th Ky Cavalry

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

As you all know, Clyde the horse died at Perryville. I mention this as Clyde was there at the last Pickett's Mill. Here is a recent emailed poem I received regarding Clyde:

TO CLYDE
    IN REMEMBRANCE

WE LOST OUR CLYDE THIS PAST WEEKEND.
    A STEADY OFFWHEEL ARTILLERY HORSE, FAITHFUL,TRIED AND TRUE.
    THE TEARSTAINED FACES OF WE ARTILLERMEN,
    A FITTING TRIBUTE, SADLY BIDDING A FOND ADIEU.

WE BATTERYMATES REVERED HIM, A FAVORITE TO EACH AND ALL.
    HIS CALM STRENGTH AND DEMEANOR, HIS BRIGHT EYES AND BUSHY MANE.
    TO PULL OR BRAKE, PIECE OR CAISSON, HE MORE THAN MET THE CALL,
    OUR MEMORIES OF HIS LOYAL SERVICE SHALL EVERMORE REMAIN.

HE FOUGHT HIS FINAL BATTLE ON AN EMERALD BLUEGRASS FIELD,
    AND FELL AT HIS OFFWHEEL DUTY POST GIVING, TO THE LAST, HIS BEST.
    THE KENTUCKY RANGERS GENTLY LAID HIM ON A RIDGE NEAR PERRYVILLE,
    THE CAP'N SAID GOODBYE OLD FRIEND, REST, YOU MET OUR EVERY TEST.

MAY HIS EMPTY PLACE, BY EDITH, ON THE BATTERY PICKET LINE
    BE RESERVED FOREVER, AS A MEMORIAL, TO TEMPER OUR REMORSE.
    FOR SURELY THERE'S A HEAVEN FOR BELOVED ARTILLERY EQUINE
    WHERE OLE CLYDE WILL GRAZE FOREVER, A TRULY FAITHFUL HORSE.

SUBMITTED BY: DR. DAVE

Leave a comment:

• Micah Trent
    replied

I have to agree with you Jim about ranges being far too close. I know at one point, while the Indiana Brigade was being pushed back, a few of the Confederates were firing at us at not even 15 to 20 feet away if not closer. No joke! We were holding our line as told, but when they fired at such a close range, we were told to fall way back...it was getting a little too dangerous!

Micah Trent

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

All of the battle recreations generally developed into silliness. Ranges FAR too close, Rebs flanking our line down along the modern road edge of the property (as if historically there would not have been another division on our flank), lack of hits, force ratios way out of proportion. Our company took 150% casualties on Saturday afternoon battles (if that doesn't make sense...just think about it). Folks, we can not drag out a battle to 45 minutes when the Rebs have a 3:1 force ratio and insist upon crashing into/and flanking us at a rapid rate. Just f&*kin stupid, mainstream, powder-burnin, behavior!

However, I will say that the impressions looked much better than typical mainstream events. I really never saw any REALLY bad, glaring farb impressions (not saying there weren't any, I just didn't see any).

Regards,
    Jim Butler

Leave a comment:

• Beaner
    replied

Chris the reason we were asked not to take hits early on Saturday afternoon was the battle scenario had just started and there was another 45 minutes of movement and fighting to do.

There were several hits taken during the Sunday battle. I saw yanks and Johnnies falling everywhere. Chris took a flip over the rail fence in front of the Federal position on top of the Hill. Half my company including myself went down due to a point blank cannister shot. Billy was lying everywhere. So was Johnnie.

Wide Awake filmed us as we advanced through the high grass and up the slope (We were on the extreme left of the Medich Battalion.The rest of the battalion followed on in eshellon on our right). Mr. Hodges stated he'd never seen so many reenactors taking hits and loved every minute of it. All I can say is excellent!, Laddies excellent!

Sgt. Sam Billingsley
    4th texas Co. E

Leave a comment:

• Greg Barnett
    replied

It sure is nice to hear from everyone about the event. I attended only as a spectator and what I saw was impressive. I really enjoyed many of the activities that have been mentioned previously. Everyone involved surely did a great job all around. I have never been a spectator at an event before, but I have to say that this was a great event to attend as a spectator. I can only imagine the quality experience that a participant would have had.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• KCLoewe
    replied

As a visitor and Adjutant of the WB, all I can say is that I had a great time. It was the best event I've been to in some time. And that is becuase of the men. All those in my battalion were an absolute joy to work for. I look forward to working with the WB again.

Kurt Loewe

Leave a comment:

• Jim Moffet
    replied
    Re: AM battle good? You must be kidding.

Overall, P'ville was a great event. I have to agree about the Sat. morning battle - looked great as we advanced into it - the WB came in in a column of companies & wheeled into line - but it surely got too close too quickly. My close friend Marc Benedict from the 53rd PVI called it "the Great Bogocity." He was part of the flank attack (executed by the CG) and told me that they closed to 15 paces before firing the first volley! Of the 3 actions, it was certainly my least favorite.

The Sunday fight was lots better. The WB was posted as the 21st Wisconsin down in the mudhole at the base of the central cornfield. The boys waited at 'in place rest' for a good 20 minutes, listening to the battle getting closer while all we could see was the 'corn' rising steeply in our front. Feds were retreating on both our flanks. Then the tip of a CS flag appeared above the hill, and we opened up. The volley sounded like tearing canvas! This battle developed just right - reasonable ranges, heated firing - until our left flank was seriously threatened and we broke back to the road, and then up the hill with the AoP covering our right. By the time we reached the Federal batteries at the crest, we were down to about 40%, so we took lots of casualties, as did our enemies.

Other highpoints - the fife & drum jam w/ US & CS down by the Sutler's area Saturday evening; Gen. Dolive's Field Day on Sunday - wish other Federals had participated, it was better than we had first postulated; eating REAL salt pork (we found a source here in Minnesota) and the fact that the WB didn't go anywhere by the flank (except where that was all that would fit) - we did most of the SoB all weekend. For me, that's what big national events are all about!

Jim Moffet
    Minnesota First
    Western Brigade
    Last edited by Jim Moffet; 10-11-2006, 01:00 PM. Reason: forgot a highlite!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X