Chickamauga AOT-ANV Living History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chickamauga AOT-ANV Living History

Alas Mr. Cooper, the Lazy Jacks have not yet had the experience of a soldier's life within Tripp Corbin's Company aka Craddock's Ram-Rods aka The Petersburg's Greyhounds aka THOSE people.

Us miscreants would love to have our esteemed pards from over the pond fall in and take in the "experience". We've already got one Brit. ehem Paul Jerram. So we might as well welcome them all to our 'special family.'
    Last edited by Coatsy; 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Yeah,

But they haven't had my Lowcountry rice pudding or heard my Bobcat story yet:tounge_sm

Greatly looking forward to this!

Regards,

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

Gentlemen,
        This event is looking good. Now does this event count as being on the other side of those big scary mountains?

I found this a couple weeks ago. It is the full text of: “History of Kershaw’s Brigade with Complete Roll of Companies, Biographical Sketches, Incidents, Anecdotes, ect.”

If the link does not work, let me know.

Enjoy,

PS- Neil’s rice pudding is the best. Plain and simple. Can’t wait to have some next weekend at River’s Bridge.
        Dane Utter
        Washington Guard

Comment

Checking the schedule this weekend. If open I'm there!
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Thanks Dane! The pudding is quite simple too. You just need Carolina Plantation Rice! www.carolinaplantationrice.com Anyway, I hope folks take a long look at this event as it has great educational potential for the Park and it's visitors. First, the interpretive depth is really great ie. the comparison between AOT vs ANV. With some good first person efforts, I could see the visitors really getting a flavor of the cultural and 'impression' differences between the armies. Great stuff; thanks too for the website Tripp.

I hope I'm not talking out of school, but an interesting discussion regarding the trousers of Kershaw's Brigade really needs to be held. That's a whole different thread right now, but I tend to lean toward English Blue (a bright Royal blue-see EOG Pender trousers). I know some of the SWB folks have experimented with over-dying sky blue kersey to a solid match vs the originals at the MOC. Hopefully they can provide more information. I also think Hainsworth may have a good fit. Any comment? I really like the qoute from Col. Aiken regarding English goods in 1862. You never know, information may appear one day that completely changes our thoughts on Blockade goods and their early availability:wink_smil

Anyway, I'm sincerely looking forward to this.

Regards,

Neill Rose
            PLHA

Comment

Considering some of the quotes from various memoirs that are included in the guidelines, it seems pretty clear that they were wearing blue-grey kersey jackets and some sort of lighter blue trousers. The MOC has four pairs of trousers, at least two of them in your typical "Richmond Depot" pattern, made of a royal blue kersey material. One of them (Pender's imported pair) is ID'd to as early as Gettysburg. I know Neill has some good documentation regarding these blue trousers being shipped from Britain in 1862. Is there any information about when yardage of this cloth began to be imported as well?

I did use samples of kersey from a number of different makers to attempt to create a good match to the color of these trousers. I tried a few different dyes on some Childs, old FHW, etc., both undyed kersey and sky blue kersey, and brought them to the MOC to compare. I came pretty close to the color of the Goodwin trousers on one sample.

-Craig Schneider
              Craig Schneider

Comment

Great, I have seen it all. This forum has become the place to post recipes. Well Mr. Heath, the door is open for you now. Exactly how do you make Ham a la mag'got?? Tripp Corbin I know is wanting this.

Art Milbert
                [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Chickamauga AOT-ANV Uniform Notes.

From Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown--My Book--

"We passed the Virginians who had come to reinforce us for the coming fight. Our first impression on seeing them was that they were Yankees! This impression was caused partly by the color of their uniforms, but more by its uniformity, and the superior style of their accoutrements, in haversacks, canteens, and knapsacks. The contrast between them and General Braggs motly ragged troops was striking in the extreme. If this Command was a specimen of Lee's troops, they are certainly superior the Army of Tennessee in dress."

Corporal Wm. A. Brown of Stanford's Miss. Battery, morning of September 19, 1863.

"They wore light blue pants, gray jackets, and regular soldier caps. We, on the other hand Western troops, had no uniform at all, but wore clothes of all kinds and hues."

Captain Frank T. Ryan, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles.

The jacket and cap color was described as, "dark steel gray, the same color and fabric worn by our Officers."

CSuniforms
                  Tom Arliskas
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                  X