Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Wayne, Detroit MI August 10-12

Pat,

This looks like fun. I suspect that the fine bounty will entice some recruits from British North America.

By the way, the trace of this fortification is not a "star fort", but a "bastioned polygon", in this case the polygon being a square. See various related terms in the Dictionary featured on the Civil War Field Fortifications website, especially Star Fort (http://www.civilwarfortifications.co.../xgs-011.html), and Systems of Fortification(http://www.civilwarfortifications.co.../xgs-006.html).

Greg Renault
    Last edited by Greg Renault; 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM.
    Greg Renault

Comment

I believe it is referred to as a star fort because of the fifth point that is on the southeast side of the fort. Much like Fort McHenry. It is easy to miss seeing it because of the shape it is in. I was there a few times before I realized that the fifth point was out there. From reading the links you posted though it almost sounds like either definition could be correct for that type of five salient star fort. Regardless, it is a great place and I am quite excited about the event. I am preparing already.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

I used to do that event many years ago with my oldest son, those were some great father son times he was about 7 at the time, he is 29 now and still enjoys the living history type events...Doug Potter
        Douglas Potter
        E-Mail [email]harley@mfi.net[/email]

Comment

How's the planning going for this event? Any new news? I know I am counting down the weekends for this one!
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Look for an update within the next week. If you haven't already, please join the Yahoo Group we have set up for the event as new info will be posted shortly.

Thanks,
            Scott Gulley
            PPM/GHTI/WIG

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've got this cleared with my wife so I'll be sending in registration very shortly. Looking forward to falling in with Mr. Runyon's company.

5/23 - Check and registration are in the mail.
              Last edited by paulcalloway; 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM. Reason: Updating status
              Paul Calloway
              Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
              X