Frock Coats for Federal Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frock Coats for Federal Impression

If you have a Federal impression and don't own the standard issued items, my feelings are that you are short on the impression. Their shouldn't be any need for 'preferred' multiple choice items for the 200th Indiana Company Q at the battle of Shirkersville. You simply pull out the documented uniform and go to the event. Why we can't pull off a Dress Parade at a specific event is beyond my ken, likewise a 2nd Wisconsin/Regulars impression, or a cold weather portrayal. Having seen enough BROWN Hardee hats during the last ten years I really wonder how commited we are to getting past the gear and into the other parts of the triad.

Sack Coat, Frock Coat, Great Coat: STANDARD ISSUE. Documented. Every couple of years when they start fading, changing colors, become worn, etc. get a new one. If you are wearing the same sack coat today that you wore to Outpost 2000, something is wrong. Hardee Hats were BLACK, not faded into brown.

Be nice or this entire post will disappear. First and last warning. Jim Kindred Moderator
    Last edited by JimKindred; 09-28-2008, 06:51 AM.
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Randy --

While you are correct that this event is taking place "in December," and if you have an overcoat you should bring, I would not recomend wearing only your overcoat and a heavy shirt in liue of a uniform coat. If you are asking because you don't have a frock coat, then wear your fatigue blouse, it says in the event regs. that the fatigue blouse is an acceptable alternative to the frock coat. But I have never heard of enlisted men putting their uniform coat in storage and just wearing their overcoat.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
      Joseph Caridi
      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

I am glad I bought my Frock Coat a couple of years ago from Jersey Skillet Licker. It is well made and authentic (as near as I can tell).
        Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
        20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
        Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
        Army of the Potomac

Comment

Men, :)
          I think RJ and Moose have misinterpretted my question. I actually have two frock coats as well as a greatcoat. I'm just putting the notion out there that maybe the federals who have greatcoats should wear them for this one. I think it would be authentic to see a lot of feds wearing them.

Any more feedback?
          Last edited by Randy; 09-30-2008, 04:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
          Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
          The swallows fly low
          Over the fields in clouded days,
          The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Hello Matt,

FYI I bought an excellant Frock from N******a last year, it was produced in 5 weeks, an excellent Frock. see you there.
            Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Randy,
              I agree that the "battle" being depicted was in December, therefore we should see greatcoats. That being said, an individual will wear what is comfortable to them at any given time during the event, and not wearing/bringing your issue frock coat or fatigue blouse and wearing a heavier shirt under a greatcoat because the weather may not warrent the wearing of a greatcoat 100% of the time, I feel should not be investigated. If it is too warm for your greatcoat, fold it up, and put it in your knapsack.

Cheers,
              Joseph Caridi
              Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Danger: This has nothing to do with frock coats, dress coats, or hula hoops.

Oh, sure, it could be 70 degrees at night, with scantily clad native girls serving you sweet little umbrella drinks under the balmy palm tree ringed skies of the Old Dominion, but don't count on it.

Allow me to dispense a clue about the pure pleasure of wearing a comfy great coat at 3:30 a.m., in mid-November, near Fredericksburg, Va., whilst standing in the NW quadrant of a half mile square wind swept field with practially zero vegetation above mid-calf on the north, east, and south sides. Insert sound effect of howling gale here. Considering this is October, and the event is in November, this week is also a darn good time to poke around in the gear pile in the closet to find that oh-so-kewl scarf and maybe those mittens or gloves, because when The Hawk is blowing down on your frosted little hoohooh, it's a little late to find your gear, and I'll add that a sleeping cap is a wonderumus thing.

If you don't have a greatcoat, then consider wrapping a blanket around your shivering bod, or using as gum blanket as a windbreaker. These things work now just as they did back then, and remember that dry extra shirt in your knapsack is a good undershirt or overshirt as the case may be. Wearing a cotton shirt from home under an issue shirt from Uncle Sam is a great way to add warmth, but you guys already knew this.

"Take care of your gear, and your gear will take care of you." - Captain Obvious.
                Last edited by Charles Heath; 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: Spellcheck is for p-------
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

FYI - I prefer the native girls.
                  Ley Watson
                  POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Gents,
                    I have a question. For those portraying the 26th PA wounded would they have been in Frocks or Sacks since they were very veteran by december. I ask this as a Corn Fed wanting to expand my knowledge.
                    Thanks for all help provided.
                    Chris Fisher
                    [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                    1st NY Mounted Rifles
                    Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                    [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Working...
                    X