Images from Ft Duffield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images from Ft Duffield

A few Ambrotypes from Sat Sept 6 Ft Duffield Ky.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Tim Parson

This event was near a cabinet factory we do business with, and I popped in as a spectator. As such, I was able to take some pictures. If you would like a larger picture emailed to you, just send me a PM with your address. I do have many more pictures and would be happy to post more if desired.

The first picture is of the campaigners after their march. Believe me, it had to be a heck of a hike. The hill the fort is situated on is at the top of the steepest hill I have had the pleasure to climb in quite some time. The march had to be a real workout.

The second is the intrepid cook and his helpers. The care and devotion they put into their craft was amazing. (That's my story and I am sticking to it. One day, I may have to eat from that pot...)

Third is a close up of the fine cuisine being simmered to 'perfection'

Fourth is of a lone sentry guarding the fort and keeping a watchful eye out for rebel troops.

Fifth is of the excellent sutler Ezra Barnhouse and their fine assortment of wares being offered to the troops. I found a few items I "needed" and tried my first ever picked egg. It was very tasty, and much better than I thought it would be.

Sixth is of a civilian woman talking to a soldier. I thought it was a neat photo opportunity, and hope I did not intrude.

Seventh is of the ambrotypist, Tim Parson himself, setting up his shop, and testing some pictures. He was covering glass plates with liquids from his assortment of chemicals. He was challenged by a gray day, and did not have the best of lighting conditions that required long exposures. As you can see above, he rose to the challenge.

The Fort itself is at the top of a steep, steep hill, and has a commanding view of the surrounding area. It is an excellent site for an event. At the time it was occupied, all woods for a mile were cleared to allow an unobstructed view of the Ohio and Salt rivers and the roads leading to Louisville. The fort is in a highly defensible position, and, as explained to me, its presence likely saved Louisville from Gen Hood and his army, and helped to set up the later Battle of Perryville when Hood decided to not take on the fort and its defenders.

This looked like an excellent event, and I wish I had made it as a participant.

Ron Mueller
    New Madrid Guards

Illinois
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Abrams; 09-08-2008, 11:53 PM.
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: Images from Ft Duffield

This was made by Tim at Duffield:

Attached Files
      Last edited by BrianHicks; 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Re: Images from Ft Duffield

Some of those ambrotypes look like good candidates for the next cover... We will be asking for new ones on September 20th... hint, hint. :D
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
        X