X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSchneider
    replied
    Re: Glendale AAR Thread

Now, I can assure you all that, while overseeing the rest of the NCOs figure out how to divide 4 pieces of pork, 23 potatoes, 8 onions, 1 pie, and 1 pie somewhere inside a small mountain of ants equally amongst 54 enlistedmen, I saw neither Sergeant Orpen nor Corporal Orpen have one bite of that damn pie. They did, however, jealously guard that pie from those in 2nd Platoon who slinked away when they were asked to go on a canteen detail until the rest of 2nd Platoon returned with water.

-Craig Schneider

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nash
    replied

Hell Yeah Jerry - that works for me! After all, it is both fitting and proper for officers to eat the pie - they have earned it! But it would appear that we had a pie Jonah in the ranks of the 2nd Platoon at Glendale who consumed that tasty bit of Yankee contraband all by hisself. If the NCOs (who had custody of said pie) swear that they didn't eat it, and the rank and file "didnt git none" and our lieutenant was too preoccupied, then someone ate that doggone thing! (it sure as hell weren't me, otherwise I wouldn't be a bitching!!
    Cheers,
    Doug aka the Piesexual
    Last edited by Doug Nash; 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JStiles
    replied

Note to self...If ever presented with the same or similar situation, keep all pie for the officers. Then, any complaints will only be going in one direction!...Jerry Stiles

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Boys,

Something about a stolen pie makes it taste all that much better. I hope you lads thanked General McCall for the use of his commissary box later that night when he became your guest for a short while.

In light of all this nonsense about how pies are ruining the hobby (hey, that's my job), and pies being the single most divisive issue in the hobby (ditto), and such, it may be high time for School of the Pie Thief II at Athens, Missouri, this coming August. Between the pie, watermelon, and corn, corn, and more corn, that event lends itself well to gluttony. If the price of gasoline goes up much more, we may have to break out the still at that event to have enough fuel to get home, but I digress.

People remember pie long after the event is done.

Leave a comment:

• parebel
    replied

Peter,
    I agree! Let's ban pie from the hobby, and speak of it only as a mainstream phenomenon! I would have much rather had 2 bottles of Oh-Be-Joyful to pies and lope eared Dutch gals! :sarcastic

Leave a comment:

• Malingerer
    replied

If it's not pie theives at Fort Donelson, it's pie shortages at Glendale. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Pie will be the death of this hobby!

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Boys!

Say, now, with the way you fellers fight over that pair of Elmira pies, let's just say I'm glad we didn't twig shut a couple of corpulent Dutch gals in that bacon box. Naturally, they could have made a small fortune checking you folks for ticks....

I'm longing for yet another walk in those woods right now. The rain soaked, marked up, penciled in, inked over, scribbled on, Steven Stanley map from CWPT that has been in my pocket since Day 1 is probably going to end up in the Columbia Rifles' "Museum" along with some other odds and ends, including a quart can of "O'Beirne's Ass Sap" (the leftover Scott's molasses from Payne's Farm), a certain little green sign (Burkittsville 2005), Stevie's Tail (Bentonville March 2000), and some even more bizarre items from events gone by. Yeah, I guess it was just too early in the war (and the wrong battlefield) for the boys in blue to exclaim they were fighting for the "Fair Parmelia Higgerston!" Long story there, hmmm, maybe too long.....

Leave a comment:

• parebel
    replied

No NCO's in 2nd Platoon took any of the damned pie, we were too busy trying to saw through the ham and dole it out, which could have been detailed for you to do but wasn't, so you could sit and rest. We waited to issue out the forementioned damned pie because there was a water detail out at the time and we didn't want them to get screwed. We'll be sure to pick you up and burp you after you eat the next issue, and maybe then you'll be inspired.
    Last edited by parebel; 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nash
    replied

Had a great time at Glendale with the rest of the NSR boys and the other fellas portraying the 47th Va. Enough of ticks, hardtack, pig tails, snakes and all that - how about the "Great Pie Swindle" of '62? If there ain't enough pie for everyone to get a slice, says I, then dangit just mush it up and let everyone come up and get a spoonful of it if they want it. The Sgt. doling out the pie simply could not get that idea into his head, try as he might, and opted for the tried & proven method of keeping it for the NCOs & letting the rank and file do without. A tried & proven method (in 2nd rate armies, for sartain sure), but that sure wasn't much of an example of inspiring leadership. Somehow the 1st Platoon figured out the conundrum and doled it out to everyone's satisfaction. Us guys in 2nd Platoon got a hearty "take your ration and clear out!" when we were so bold enough to inquire about the aforementioned pie. Next time I'll bring my trusty old cadet mess hall pie template and carry it in my hat so when a Sgt. can't figure out how to apportion rations, I can hand it to him so he can cut it with precision! (I have to admit that I do have a weakness for pie, that I can't deny!)
    Anyway, can't wait til the next event - again, a well planned, well-scripted & organized even - hats off to Captain Stiles for the great job as Co. commander!
    Cheers,
    Doug Nash
    (But if the NCOs didn't eat the pie then who did? We only had one officer, and he was too busy to eat any!! This bears further scrutiny!!)
    Last edited by Doug Nash; 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dusty27
    replied

Greg,

The name is Mike, not Doug.

I took nothing personally. Again, I don't have any problem about anyone falling out due to illness. You were not the only one. If I didn't care, I wouldn't have asked you if you were ok.

My problem with you is after falling out and not going through a large part of the event (battle and overnight on Saturday), you try to fall back in like you didn't miss anything and then report here how we all could improve.

Nothing personal. I'm not the only one who noticed.

Leave a comment:

• SCTiger
    replied

And for sure, don't tell the rest of us how we can improve.
    Wasn't doing that Doug. I spoke about the hobby in general and you took it personal and attacked me. I hope that the rest of the forum can learn from this, whatever you do, don't get sick in the field with this crew. This of course won't keep me from improving or striving to do better or from attending events. The next time I will keep a better record of what happened and you won't have a health problem to use against me.

See you in the field. Nice "AAR" by the way.

Leave a comment:

• cprljohnivey
    replied

I sprayed my self down at registration and again at a water stop Saturday Evening after the battle. I think that stuff just made the ticks laugh.

Leave a comment:

• JStiles
    replied

I'm not sure of my exact tick count. I can only say there were many. I'd say somewhere around 30. I apologize for not having an accurate count, but I was more interested in getting them off my CRANK and SACK as fast as I could, rather than counting!........Jerry Stiles

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

I'm so glad you guys used those four cases of Repel (thank you, Nic Ellis) stationed at the Malvern Hill visitor shelter while registration was open from 3 pm to midnight Friday. I'm under the impression anything less than 90% DEET makes those ticks grow hair on their chests. Speaking of snakes, it was a sight to see Noah sunning himself on the Willis Church Road lay back, and a few feet away on the slope going to the creek was a King Snake that dwarfed the one we found during the dump clean up day -- also sunning himself.

I found one Lone Star tick walking about. Anyone else see one?

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
    ticks, ticks, ticks....

I was sort of gloating in my own head about not getting any ticks on me. Well, I woke up this morning and found seven or eight of the little buggers sucking my blood. They were a lot easier to see today!

Damn things survived four hot showers, before digging in for dinner!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X