X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtack Herring
    replied
    Re: Glendale AAR Thread

My son Levi and I were late arrivals to the event so we missed out on most of Saturdays events.

Upon arrival to the CS Saturday night campsite we were immediately put to work clearing limbs from a road. Once that task was finished we were sent off to the picket line

There we stood watch for an hour or so. Once relieved we met up with some pards and learned there had been some skirmishing early in the day. They pointed out a group of a dozen or so Yankee prisoners that were under guard.

With not much to eat in the confederate camp we spread out our blankets and went to sleep.

It rained a little off and on Saturday night. Despite the rain I slept pretty good. I was more worried about the ticks I had heard about.

Woke up Sunday morning to the call of the bugle. Roll was taken, arms were inspected and off we went. The march on Sunday morning was very easy, not too long not too short. The rain did not bother me very much either. At this event we were soldiers and did not have to worry about our instruments becoming water logged.

Several of us close by in the line of march began telling period jokes ( Thanks to the Conundrum Thread and the book (Do you ever get it up) I think that made the march more enjoyable.

The rain intensified and by the time we reached Malvern Hill we are all soaked. Once we arrived , the event ended and everyone went home.

I think there were suppose to be some programs at Malvern Hill on Sunday but the weather just was not going to let that happen.. I was looking forward to doing something at Malvern Hill.

So our opinion is we both had a good time. Only complaint I can think of is the rain cutting the event shorter than I hoped.

By the way guys, we found 0 ticks on either of us !

Leave a comment:

• 5thMIkeydet
    replied

Big thanks to the organizers for this event. I definately agree with the earlier oppinon on the deer tick population. I might also add that sitting in class today made me appreciate the effects of poison oak much more than I had previously considered.
    Deffinately some highlights for me were the cobbled together holding actions with my comrades of battle and then running through the woods looking for stragglers and running into the Reb pickets a couple of times with one round left.
    Plus, the mail call on the march out was... interesting...:wink_smil

Leave a comment:

• Malingerer
    replied

My thanks to all those who made this weekend such a memorable event. Even with gas at $3.50 a gallon it was well worth the eight hour drive. As always I learn a few lessons to take home with me: 1. )Keyboard campaigning is a poor substitute for the real thing - which is to say, I need to improve my physical fitness level because I was flat wore out Saturday evening. 2) The Deer Tick population of tidewater Virginia is not likely to end up on the endangered species list anytime soon. 3) Anytime pie is involved at an event, harsh words are going to be exchanged and feelings are going to be hurt. Thanks again to all the event sponsors - your hard work made for a memorable event.

Leave a comment:

• robwall1861
    replied

I had a GREAT time as well....have never done that much skirmishing before, especially in the woods. Paul, it was great to meet you and be "comrads in arms" with you for skirmishing.

Thanks to everyone who made this event possible....I had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewall_Greyfox
    replied

Wow!!! What a great event...this one may have topped Payne's Farm in it's intensity.

Thanks again to Jerry Stiles and Claude Sinclair, who provided me the honor of being the 2nd Cpl. for 1st Platoon...and portraying Cpl. Henry Fox of the 47th VA.

Question: Do we really have to wait 2 years to get the best VA soldiers together? I would love to see us get 1-2 events a year where we could portray larger companies/battalions in Virginia's Park Systems.

For those at the wounded station: I hope that I wasn't too dull during the little 1st person interaction we had. I felt it an eirily awkward experience being both wounded and in the "care" of the enemy. Without getting into the cliche topics of discussion, I found our conversation limited...I attempted as best I could to portray my fate card, and Cpl. Fox who had a serious wound to the shoulder and a massive loss of blood. Thankyou for the experience.

Thanks Again to the event organizers and staff, for another AWESOME weekend!!!

P.S. It seems that I lost track of my hatchet Saturday evening from the wounded station...If anyone came across a hatchet not belonging to them, I'd appreciate the return of this.
    Paul B.
    Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 04-21-2008, 12:40 PM. Reason: Wounded Station addition

Leave a comment:

• ley74
    replied

Heck, I could distinctly hear Pete McCarthy from Longbridge Road. Sound ordinance? What sound ordinance.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    started a topic Glendale AAR Thread

Glendale AAR Thread

Boys,

I had fun, how 'bout you?

Thanks to all who attended, donated, baked hardtack, worked behind the scenes, allowed us to use their land, fetched stuff, directed traffic, parked cars, hauled water, moved and fired artillery, baked pies, moved garbage, visited to say "hey," and 1,000 other tasks, found ammunition, didn't find hams, didn't tear up crops and fields, did be kind to the flora and fauna in environmentally sensitive areas, or otherwise participated, and as one last shameless plug for preservation donations, or maybe not the very last....yes, they are still being accepted.

The Saturday night snoring from the federals at "Camp Hay Rake" could be heard clearly and loudly on the shoulder of Willis Church Road. :D
Working...
X