Company A Command Structure and Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sh** ***es to the front!

Things look to be shaping up for a mighty fine time...
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Company A Command Structure and Information

Just an update:
      Roster: we have thiry men who have signed up or have told me they are getting their registrations sent in. I would like five more to be on the safe side.

Tools and such:
      one ammo box (possibly two)
      four shovels
      One hatchet
      two axes
      and rope
      Inspection: we will have an inpsection at 11:30 Friday morning. If you are coming after 11:30 or noon(start time) please let me know.

My arrival time will be around 2:00 AM Friday. Skip Owens should be there Thursday evening.

Directions: If you need the directions let me know.
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Captain H,
        I have a hatchet I'll bring. It served us well at AHT so I guess it will work in Mizzou. Gotta keep those three pyres pyring.

Re the "flat haversack" thread: As I am arriving at the boat landing after you bully boys already are at the fort, when will rations be issued? Will I miss out? Or could the Iron Chefs hold back a partial portion of vittles for a straggler like me?

Depending on when I can leave Nebraska and if I get lost in the wooded country or chased by the swamp monster or the highway patrol, I will be getting to the jump off point anywhere from 4 pm to 9 pm (!). Will call before I head out on Friday morning (during the registration period) so we can guestimate when I will debark my great white land yacht.

I will have a meal on the road, so will need at least partial rations to get me through Saturday and Sunday morning.

Have purchased some already-assembled arsenal packs from Ox -- they will be at registration to be added to the ammo cache -- and will bring about 80 more rounds with me.

Really looking forward to seeing you folks again. As you will already be in full-on immersion status by the time I arrive, I will do my best to get "in period" as soon as I cross the border. Maybe the just-about-a-mile (where have we heard that before?) solo hike to the camp will help get me in the mood.

Ever forward,
        Paul Hadley
        Late of the Minnesota First, Co. B
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

As far as I know you will be alright for rations. We will make sure that you are fed!
          Nathan Hellwig
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
            As I am arriving at the boat landing after you bully boys already are at the fort, when will rations be issued? Will I miss out? Or could the Iron Chefs hold back a partial portion of vittles for a straggler like me?
            Paul,

A certain individual convinced us not to feed pea soup Friday night, and we cookhouse rats are all crushed, curled up in the fetal position, and weeping profusely. Meanwhile, the fellows who would be assigned to clean the kettles are dancing with great joy in the company street.

When will rations be issued?

Colonel Grampy-Newlywed hasn't told us yet, but we have taken note that the officers have an alternate ration plan of a far more collegiate nature.

The good news is the bulk of your fabulous Friday night fare has been cooked and ready to eat since February or March of 2008, although some was cooked later, but intended for an event in mid-June. Eating this particular ration item in the dark or dropping the individual pieces into boiling water to evict the teeming, entrenched, residents is highly advised. The drive-thru at The Triple D Diner (Dave, Dave & Don) is open until 2 a.m., wake us up after that and the rest of the company may be feasting on long pork the next evening.

Will you miss out?

Maybe. To wash this down, you will have an opportunity to enjoy a rare blend of chicory, burnt corn meal, roast ground....oh, I see you already had some, and possibly had some in 2006 not too far from the Brawner Farm, and some of that recycled in June 2008 near Sach's Bridge. Some of this may be leftover from Reoccupation of Fort Sumter.

Rations held in reserve?

Write your Mom today, and tell her how proud she would be of your vegetable consumption. Behind me, on yonder floor cloth, is a box about one cubic foot in size full of little cubes. These little cubes were once, well, you've already had them over on Chin Ridge that fine Sunday morning blended with salt pork. Petey will not be there handing out "gravy" this time around, nor will we be enjoying any of his one-horse Italian humor about Orange Courthouse. I hope you like a certain 184os receipt for beets, seeing how this is April 1863 and the little jokers didn't keep too well over the winter.

That is just Friday night, but a man showing up late, avoiding inspection, and having a haversack full of freshly foraged scallions may have a lot of friends in camp come Saturday afternoon. Just sayin'.

Eating a salad or something green on the way home is highly recommended.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Make sure you bring some money to buy items from Ezra Barnhouse.

I believe we will have a money exchange but I am not sure.
              Nathan Hellwig

Comment

This does indeed sound like a fantastic event. I'm just hoping my new Brogans arrive on time. . .
                - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                1st California Co. F
                Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Ezra Barnhouse being there is good news -- I may want to invest in a "deep pie pan" if the federal rations are as going to be in as much of a fluid nature as Chawls implies.

Would this be in the 10:1 scrip to dollars like we used to do with C&J when with the late Army of the Pacific?

Certainly sounds like a well thought out event.

Ever forward,
                  Paul Hadley
                  Paul Hadley

Comment

I'm mot sure what the excahge rate is but John and Beth will have a vast amount of plunder aboard there wagon. I emplore all federals to invest in some of their fine wares and eatables. In other words bring cash along.:baring_te
                    Cheers:D
                    Terry Sorchy

Comment

Working...
                    X