Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update for Pea Ridge

Gentlemen,
    I made the trip on Saturday to meet with Steve Black at Pea Ridge. Let me tell you that the park is one of the most beautiful I have seen. Steve is very accommodating and is looking forward to our participation. We walk through the park and went to different sites to get an idea how everything will flow. There are few intrusions on the entire site from traffic or other sites.

We will begin registration at 2pm on Friday, March 7 at the Visitors Center. After the park closes, there will be a gate that is dumby locked just before the Visitors Center entrance. We will man that area to let people in to register and then send them to the parking area and campsite for the first night.

There is no idea what the weather will be like until we get closer, but there is plenty of firewood available for us to use to build fires. We have permission to also burn fence rails while there which will be very nice. They have put in 170,000 new fence rails and do not mind if we burn the old ones. They are working on putting fencing up on the entire battlefield just as it was during the battle. They are probably about 2/3's of the way done on that.

We will step off from the initial point on Saturday morning with the 4th Ark going west and the MSG going east toward Elkhorn Tavern. All of the demonstration areas are fenced off so it offers a natural division between us and the spectators.

On Saturday, we will camp at Elkhorn Tavern. There will be a federal group, Holmes Brigade there also. We will camp just north of them in order to keep it real. We have use of the Tavern on Saturday evening if we desire it.

Rations will be issued on Friday night.

Registration is looking pretty good. We just need to keep pushing those that want to go to get their registration in.

Directions:
    If you are coming from the south, west or east: You will take I-540 North off of I-40. It will merge with US-71 North. Stay on US-71 North and get off of Exit 86, AR-62 East. Follow about 6 miles and it goes right to the visitors center on left.

If there are any late arrivals, let me know if you will be past 11pm so we can get you into the park.

The weather could be anywhere from the 20's with snow or in the 50's. Plan for cool weather though.

Let's start the year off with our first event having a strong attendance!!

Art Milbert
    Last edited by trippcor; 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM.
    [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Re: Update for Pea Ridge

Thank you, Art. Really looking forward to this one. For those of you making your first trip to Pea Ridge, you're gonna love it. Very few monuments, and plenty of wide open spaces as well as forrested areas. They work hard there to maintain the battlefield as it was it 1862.

My 2nd cousin 5 times removed Hiram Bull was a Lt. in the 9th Iowa at Pea Ridge. The 9th took a higher percentage of casulties than any other Union regiment during the battle. Steve Black took me out in the woods one time near the Tavern where the 9th was most heavily engaged. It was a treat.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Update for Pea Ridge

Do you have anything as far as a schedule of demonstrations ?

I am going up as a spectator to witness this and wanted to plan my visit.

Comment

Working...
      X