Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westville Updates 7-11-08

Good folks of Westville,
    I will be arriving in town to hear cases in October 18 -19. If you have a legal issue you need addressed please contact our able court clerk Mr. E. J. Kukery (aka Greg Deese) to ensure it is placed on the docket. If you need legal assistance I am sure one of Westville's two esteemed attorneys, Mr. B. S. Worrell, Esq. (aka Brian Hicks) or Mr. Carl Evans, Esq. (aka Matt Young), will be more than willing to help for a reasonable fee.

Your Humble Servant,
    Isaac Sherman
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I just have to say that I'm extremely envious of the chance that all of you have to attend this event. I remember going to Westville as a kid in the late 70's and thinking that it would be a great place to do a "civil war reenactment". And back then, I didn't even know what one was !! It looks like this will be a first class event, with the organizers really working hard at assure that everyone is prepared. What really kills me is that now that they've agreed to let an 1861 living history take place at Westville(which is about an hour and a half from my house in Valley,AL), I'm 15,000 miles away in Brisbane Australia !! If someone has several extra thousand laying around, and you're still short of peole, there are a few Progressive reenactors "downunder" who wouldn't mind making the trip...lol. But seriously, I ask God to bless you all and keep you safe. And have a great time. And take lots of pics!!!! I remain,

Your obedient Servant and Confederate Ambassador to Australia,

D.W.(Trace) Scalf

1st Geo. Regulars
      2nd Geo. Vol Inf Co G "Columbus Guards"
      44th Geo. Vol Inf Co. A(Australia)
      19th Ala. Vol Inf(in the works)
      D.W.(Trace)Scalf
      19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
      [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
      George Santayana

Comment

Jim, thanks for the information. I registered about a month and a half ago, and I don't think i recieved anything in the mail. I have also been following the threads and website. I suppose my concern is that some people were getting excited about participating in a particular event, but I have heard from others that they will not be participating because their role would not allow it. I was just wanting to be on the same page as everyone else. I am getting different information from different people. I figured I would go to the source :).

I am really not trying to be difficult. I just want to make sure I don't particpate in events that I shouldn't. (Plus I just ask a lot of questions and don't want to disappoint you.) By the way, perhaps I should email you directly with specific questions. Would that work?

Thanks, again, for understanding, and we are really excited! You are doing a great job! What a coup for bringing us such an opportunity!
        Angela

Comment

Sparks of Secession is coming fast and early registration is now closed. We will announce early reg. door prize winners soon (must be present to collect). Late Registration closes on October 7th and there are NO walk-ons. So, do not delay. Roles available are already limited. We have put many hours of research, labor and love into this event so far. NOTE, your registration fee covers, five meals (two breakfast, two lunch, one dinner-period BBQ) and $12 in "Notes" issued back to you to spend in the Village. We also will make a $5 per registration donation to the Wetsville Historic Site. So, have fun and help support the site!

Event info and registration is at:

New things added to the site:
          -Updated Vendor Page
          -Registration List/Roles is updated weekly.
          - 'Notes on Cotton' page (see 'Secession and Stewart Cty.')
          -Event Guidelines updated.

This is a VERY UNIQUE event on one of the best historic villages in the U.S. Be part of and witness farmers selling cotton to brokers, period pit BBQ and rally, court preceedings in the courthouse, recruting station, tavern, ambrotypyst, textile makers, Blacksmith shop, Wood workers shop, period church service on Sun., Ladies Aid Society, Military drills and encampment (21st GA, Co. I), Stocked General Store, post office, Flag Presentation ceremony, etc, etc. Don't be surprised if you receive a tax notice, subpeona, Jury Duty summons, fines for violations, rewards for fullfilling "goals",etc, etc. Being able to enlist and shift from civilian to military is also a unique aspect of this event. You can see the AC discussion for further info on the events unique aspects.
          This event is not about "Us vs Them". We have made camping arrangements for those wanting to use tents and creature comforts in a Reenactor Refuge area. In the village we maintain our event minimum standards and first person. This is an event for women and gentlemen, young and old, mainstream and c/p/h, but not farb. This is a nice balance that accomodates a wide range of reenactors. If you want to bring a period town to life and can meet a basic, minimum, posted standard then this event is for you! We encourage people with children to register. We will extend the early childrens registration fee of $20 to all children who register with an adult.

ALSO, we NEED just 4-6 more guys to sign-up for Westville and attend as full-time military. If they sign up, I will allow them the lower $35 early, registration fee. Please tell people that they are issued passes throughout the weekend. They can bring their A-frame, wall or Sibley tent, shebangs for the Military camp( no dog tents). Passes will be issued to shop and visit in town, Rally, meals, etc. But, there must be military demos throughout Saturday 10 am-5 pm for the public.
          Dress for this military role is mostly civilian, some militia and commutation gear. Weapons are optional. If you don't have a pre-61 weapon, it is okay as many of these men did not have weapons or issued gear till they reached VA. We will also have some loaner pre-61 weapons. Robby Mitchell is the 1st Sgt and Drill Sgt for the event. We will be using Gilham's per Robby Mitchell.

The primary men's roles that are left are:
          - Full-time military.
          - Farmer in town on business.
          - Clerk for brokerage or law office.
          - Overseer in town for business.

Tours of spectators will be led by 3rd person docents throughout Saturday 10 am-5 pm. The rest of the time we have the village to ourselves, but we will maintain first person in the village the entire weekend. The Reenactor Refuge (off limits to spectators) is a place to rest, sleep, break first person, for anyone to utilize.

If you would like to be a Tour Guide/Docent (on Saturday for 2-4 hours) or Volunter at set-up (2-4 hours) on friday please contact me at unionguy1@comcast.net

Regards & Thanks,
          Jim Butler
          Vickie Rumble
          SCAR www,geocities.com/scar_civilwar
          SRR www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles

Comment

Working...
          X