• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Westville - Oct 17-19, 2008

Date: 17-19 October 2008
    Name: Westville 1861
    Sponsor/Host: SCAR
    Impression: 1861 Civilian and early war militia or commutation only for military.
    Capacity: TBA
    POC: Jim Butler
    Email: unionguy1@comcast.net
    Forum: TBA
    Listserver: None
    Preservation Component: None
    Notes: Demonstrations include Fire Eater speeches, Confederate recruiting station, Drilling and mustering in new recruits/gathering of the troops encampment, Oddfellows Meeting, Ezra Barnhouse Storefront, Period play and possible minstrel show, etc. Daily civilian life vignettes: Postmaster, cooking, cleaning, chopping wood, life in a small town, etc. Individual registrations only.

SCAR will be sponsoring the following event in 2008: (an event website will be up soon)

Dates: Oct 17-19, 2008

Site: Westville, GA (this is an 1850's reproduced town near Columbus, GA)
    site webpage: http://www.westville.org/index.htm

Mission: To portray an 1861 Georgia town.

Demonstrations: Fire Eater speeches
    Confederate recruiting station
    Drilling and mustering in new recruits/gathering of the troops encampment.
    Oddfellows Meeting
    Ezra Barnhouse Storefront
    Period play and possible minstrel show, etc.
    Daily civilian life vignettes: Postmaster, cooking, cleaning, bailing cotton, blacksmith, store, life in a small town, etc.

Impression: 1860s civilian dress
    Early war militia or commutation only for military.
    Confederate recruiter would still be wearing his US Regular army uniform at this time.

Groups: SCAR (SE Coalition of Authentic Reenactors) and invited groups only. Individual registrations only.
    Uniform/dress guidelines are already written and will be up on the website. All reenactors would not only need to meet the minimum guidelines, but
    also take part in the vignettes and demonstrations. This will not be a Scarlet Ohara fashion show.
    This would not be a mainstream endeavor. Serious living historians only.

Please review these websites for more information on
    our groups:
    SCAR www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    Last edited by Charles Heath; 09-03-2007, 11:23 AM. Reason: Added in the standard event blurb format at the top.
    Jim Butler

Re: 1861 Westville - Oct 17-19, 2008

Sounds great Jim.I have been down there and tried to get something like this going and they said no.Cheers to you.Great site.Let me know if ya need anything.Call me.They have a really nice Lodge building there!:wink_smil
    Kiev Thomason
    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
    WIG
    Armory Guards
    Forest Park Lodge #399
    Forest Park GA.

Comment

I know that I am looking forward to attending this event next year. It will be a nice change of pace from the usual living history, etc.. scenario that we usually. I'm already putting some new threads together for this one. The Mossy Creek Mess will be there in force.

Sean
      Sean Cooper
      [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
      SCAR

Comment

This sounds really super! I too have been to this town several times and found it one of the most amazing 19th century places I have ever seen-anwywhere! A complete, functionable 1850's town with largely original buildings, literally NO modern instrusions. Check out the web site. One can totally immerse yourself and capture one of those special "I felt like I was there" moments at Westville. It is that special. Trully fascinating!
        Many years ago in the early 90's, I too approached the presiding authorities there about doing a C.W. event and was completely blown off. They were totally entrenched as ONLY early 1850's. Adament to the point of getting very defensive. Would not matter how much money, exposure, etc. they would receive. They would "not ever" consider it. So, hats are off to whomever accomplished getting them ever so closer to the 1860's. Maybe this can break the ice for some nice trully C.W. event in the future at... (in my opinion) one of the most pristine mid-19th century places to be found in America.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Sparks of Seccession - Westville 1861 / Oct 17-19, 2008

The event website for Sparks of Secession is up at:

More info will be added soon.

Regards,
          Jim Butler
          SCAR www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar
          Jim Butler

Comment

Jim,

This is going to be a great one. I can't wait. For the longest time the folks at Westville have said "NO" to Civil War events. I think it is a great place for a living history.

Jerry Gouge
            Jerry Gouge
            1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Sounds great. I plan to be there. What kind of weaponry is allowed?
              Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
              Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

Guide lines are on the web page http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/WestvilleIndex
                Burt Page
                Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Will there be another one of these events the next year?
                  Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
                  Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

It is far to soon to see if SCAR will host an event there in 2009.

Thanks,
                    Jim Butler
                    Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                    X