Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Lloyd
    replied
    Re: Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Charles-

I hate to say it, but one reason why I didn't do any heavy raiding of the trash heaps is that I thought someone might want that stuff back. Even after you told me to do so when we spoke once at your quarters, I still didn't feel it was very Christian of me- primarily because I didn't want to take anything anyone might need back.

Sounds goody-goody, but I feel trusworthiness is an important tenet of the hobby... :)

But... on second-thought...

Darn, my moral code prevented me from gaining a few bully items. ;)

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Originally posted by Horace View Post
    The coffee pot now looks like it came from Picasso Tinworks. I will carefully tap out what I can and resolder the now leaky bottom.
    Todd,

While you have the soldering iron out, run a thick bead around the spout, as that leaked about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. That coffee pot is about 15 years old and was made by the legendary tinsmith Butch Baker.

Not that I'd know anything about this....
    Last edited by Charles Heath; 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM. Reason: Speil Czech

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Okay, that's three that I know about.

Rob Murray arrived home with broken sauce bottles all over over the inside of his luggage, with glass and contents on his clothing.

TSA has a responsibility to repack luggage properly. In years of flying to events, this is the first time I've ever had a real problem-and I certainly have it this time--every handmade bandbox crushed, one shoe missing, one linen bedsheet missing, a number of 'small items' missing--of the sort that go flying when a bandbox gets shattered. That bedsheet was one of the things padding all the other items. Paper packing materials were discarded as well(think repro Harpers Weekly)

TSA also has a procedure for filing claims for such stuff. Its gonna be a pain in the tookus to do it, because they want a heck of a lot of proof of purchase, when most of this stuff was made or traded.

Still, its REAL obvious the Buffalo airport has a problem--and on more than one shift, as y'all boys left on Sunday, and I did not go until Monday evening. I also got there 3 hours before flight time, so its not like they did not have time to repack this stuff.

I mean really, how the do you break an inch thick hardwood dough bowl?

Leave a comment:

• Horace
    replied

On the subject of the trash pile, I did make a killing. I ended up with the aforementioned 'battered coffee pot'.
    The TSA went through my duffle bag on the return trip, and decided to repack all the tinware right on the top where it got smashed up nicely. The coffee pot now looks like it came from Picasso Tinworks. I will carefully tap out what I can and resolder the now leaky bottom. While I was inspecting the damage I noticed 'CH' scratched into the top of the handle. Thank you to whoever this might be.

Leave a comment:

• MassVOL
    replied

Since Newfane everytime i hear about dried cherries i think about cherry bounce....
    The Pine Cottage reaked of smoked oysters for awhile but no matter how pleasing or horrid the odor created Corporal Jonah found a way to wash the smell away.
    Last edited by MassVOL; 03-15-2008, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
    Actually, I want to know where Chawls got them.

I've never been one to eat, or relish, cold boiled eggs.
    Terre,

Living here on the face of Mars, where, as you know, virtually no retail worth mentioning exists (other than mail-order and Ebay) we can buy a wide variety of international foods at Asian and Latino markets, and some of these grocery stores are approaching the 80,000 sq. ft. mark, which is the size of a small supermarket. They carry about three brands of quail eggs on a regular basis, as well as a number of items that would normally be found in the bulk foods section of food co-ops and organic stores, but for much less. A number of the older Food Lion stores have been converted, and if you happen to have a Trader Joe's in your area, they carry some seasonal items, such as large quantities of dried peach halves, pear halves, dried cherries, etc.

Approximately every two years, I'll post a source of supply blurb, and it behooves folks to check out the remants in Ollie's, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Family General, etc. the Dollar General in Newfane happened to have a whole bunch of tasty keyless smoked oysters, which match the old Bumble Bee brand packaging, but are now sold under the Chicken of the Sea brand.

If you find a cache of Swanson's canned whole chickens, or something very similar, then please let me know. Let me tell you just how close Erasmus came to selling a few of the XL cans of chicken broth as the whole chicken, but stopped short of such sutlering cruelty. It would have been good for a laugh.

This reminds me it is almost time to make another couple hundred pounds of salt pork. :wink_smil

Leave a comment:

• AZReenactor
    replied

I think I was the only one in the G&HS hut who actually ate any of the quail egs. Can't say I found them very appetizing, perhaps with some salt, pepper sauce, or more hunger they'd be a little better. A good relish might have helped too.

I passed them on and last saw the can outside the musicians hut.

I was already pretty full of pickled tongue, sardines, and oysters by the time I got to the eggs.

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Actually, I want to know where Chawls got them.

I've never been one to eat, or relish, cold boiled eggs.

These were different. They'd have been better with hot sauce or vinegar, but the sutler had absonded and, like I said, no box from home for Vicey Compson.

Leave a comment:

• Hank Trent
    replied

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
    I'm glad someone tried to eat them.
    I had about eight or ten of them too, before passing them on up to the laundresses. The biggest surprise for me was seeing the label, opening the can, and discovering they really were quail eggs!

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Hey! I ate about half a can of those quail eggs.
    Terre,

I'm glad someone tried to eat them. They've been hanging around since either Winter 1864 in 2004, or Reoccupation of Fort Sumter in whatever year that was. Even Erasmus couldn't sell them, but the USCC could sure give them away.

That salt, smoked, herring in the Pine Cottage had grown rather foul. It had what appeared to be amber oozing from the fish. Just judging from the cloth wrapper it was in when I found it at the bottom of a box, I'd say it was maybe 2003 vintage or earlier. It was too old to funk up the hut when the stove got hot, so that petrified fish was too old to do much with at any rate.

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Hey! I ate about half a can of those quail eggs.

But the G&H S fellers were swearing they were starving to death on slim rations, so I passed them on.

Didn't have box from home, but had plenty to eat anyway. Food that somebody else cooks is always good.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

I could tell the tin of quail eggs were a really big hit!

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Lloyd
    replied

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
    Whatever it was... it can't surpass the numerous other items which materialized in Vesuvius. (remember the Jellied Eels? The Great Dog Bowl... and other uhhh... mysteries of the Vesuvius inhabitants?.
    MSgt-

Yes, the "Jellied Eel" certainly remembered me in the morning whether I wanted it to or not.

LOL- Johnny Lloyd:p

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Whatever it was... it can't surpass the numerous other items which materialized in Vesuvius. (remember the Jellied Eels? The Great Dog Bowl... and other uhhh... mysteries of the Vesuvius inhabitants?.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Lloyd
    replied

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
    In this instance, the draconian Winter 1864 "Cone of Silence" shall remain unbroken...at least by me.
    Yep... the AC Forum tenet holds true still...

"Ask a stupid question...

Mr. Heath will giveth the smackdown..."

LOL ;) :p

Bully, sir... Johnny Lloyd
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X