Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacCaithaigh
    replied
    Re: Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

First of all I want to thank the organizers and the 151st NY Reenacting Unit for allowing Joe and I to put on a period style boxing match. It was a great turn out and I wish that all could have seen. (Next time). I really appreciated the shelter that was built, the Twine Castle. Kevin you did a superb job keeping everyone informed and on the same page for the event. Thank you. Shawn I pray that you and Zach made it home safely. Thank you for being my second at the match. I hope you had fun, I sure did.

What can I say about the Winter of 64. WOW! WOW! did I just say that twice. I could see the commeraderie growing each day. It was sad to say goodbye. Imagine that we actually had served together for years. I believe that the friendships that I had with some grew and that there are now some new friendships growing. I am thankful that the event is not this week. Amen.

Thanks Steve and Charles for your impressions of the USSC. I enjoyed my "Friday/Sunday" service. I traded the tomatos for some sausage. Amen.

Even if Conan the dog barks at your singing I still like it Rob.

Tom Gingras aka Mr. Geer, thank you for your support all weekend. Whether it was Guard duty or fatigue you were there to do your duty. Sincerely, the Champ.

I hope everything came out alright at the sinks Mr Selip/Slaughter. Mine worked out just fine.

Thanks for the good conversation in the Cooler Hut. Y'all were packed in there. Alex you barely fit in the bunk by yourself. Congratulations on retiring Mr. Rodman.

Can I tell you a little story about some guards that were guarding the wood pile.

"Was your weapon inspected this morning? No, Sir. Let me see your weapon? Corporal La Roche have this man arrested immediately."

Adam did you ever find your belt plate the second time?

To the men of VESUVIUS, it was a pleasure serving with you and for you. This include you too, Pat. Martin, Farley, Justin, Matt I had fun, Thanks. Kiev thanks for your help. I pray that I will see you gentlemen soon. By the way there is a village in Augusta County, VA named Vesuvius and I have a couple of friends that live there.

I don't know where to stop, maybe I will write more later. Thanks to everyone for a great time. God Bless.

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied
    Vesuvius Lodge Dinner Menu

Dinner Menu for Vesuvius Lodge, Monday. Feb 21st, 1864 (actually Sat. the last night of the event).

Course One: Pork & Vegetable Stew

Course Two: Tomato Stewed with Salami and a Mixed Pickle Relish (mixed with crab meat)

Course Three: Sweet and Hot Vesuvius Pork Chop with either a Spiced Rue or a Cherry Glace

Course Four: Pickled Peaches

Course Five: Appertife
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only were all of the above items prepared, but served in a very professional manner.

Pvts Williams and Randall had 'volunteered' to cut up the 150lb half hog the forage detail had brought in. So... they very deftly portioned out a dozen 2" thick center cut pork chops (hey... we all know the butcher keeps the best cuts for himself.... ;) ).

With these prime chops packed away in snow, the task then became how to best serve them. After some quick trading with other folks on the Company street, and help from an Officer who brought the Crab Meat and a some spices from the Officers mess... the menu was set!

Needless to say, the meal was extraordinary!

Justin Runyon and Matt Woodburn did an excellent job in making that dinner a smashing success! (and yes... it was much better than the rats Matt cooked up for a few of us at Vicksburg!).

Leave a comment:

• ley74
    replied

As I remarked to Chawles, it has been two and one-half years in the hobby and no two events have ever been the same. While I did attend the 2006 version of W'64, it was in no way like the 2008 rendition.

- The sinks were better
    - It was warmer
    - Burner Hut vs. Sibley
    - Shirking duty is as much of a challenge as actually being on fatigue (I am not a small person and it was only for 12 hours
    - The additional two plus days we were on site gave me a glimpse of what the Committee went through to bring this one home, I had fun.
    - Lard can be problematic but oh so worth the effort
    - The oyster stew was well received. The tinned oysters were delightful as well.
    - Cpls. Long and LaRouche did a heck of a job with the period boxing match. Hopefully folks were surprised at how "real" it was.
    - Fried Peach Pies
    - Icecapades do not hold a candle to the goings on near the USCC shed. Several may qualify for the Winter Olympic trials.
    - Conan the Airedale Terrorist was a great addition. What a wonderful dog.
    - The yellow snow joke was NOT lost on me.

Other notable items:

The fellowship at the fire hall was a wonderful surprise. The food was great.
    Scott, Dennis, Sparky, Pete, Coldfoot and Kevin deserve our highest gratitude.
    Co K sure can cook.
    Rob Carter sure can cook.
    The wallet hunt by Sgt. Mustache was like a scavenger hunt. ("I may have to walk to Minnesota.")

While I had a great time, there was a feeling at the end that I had been part of something special. Then Scott went and said it during dress parade and it all made sense. We became a living monument to the brave men of the 151st New York. I did shed a tear. Could not help it. That moment will last my lifetime.

Since most on this forum would not be able to appreciate the PAR, I will post it to the W '64 Yahoo Group over the weekend and the Columbia Torch in April. It may seem selfish but that's okay in this case.

When our mess (not yet CRs in early 2006) were invited to W'64, in the parking lot of the Payne's Farm event, we all signed up right then. We had no idea. We do now.

Thank you, all freaking 70 of you, for these and many other memories of last week.

Leave a comment:

• unionprivate
    replied

Pancake breakfast!? Did you gentlemen venture out to the South Wilson Fire Company for their Sunday farmers breakfast?? What a treat after 4 days of army food.

As others have said, its hard to write about what we experienced. Its just one of things that you had to be there to understand. Next time you're at an event with your home unit, sit back and take notice on how many men complain because either its too hot or its too cold. Or they complain because they have to do fatigue duty, or picket duty or march a small distance, or because the food isn't the greatest. You can sit back, with coffee in hand and smile, knowing youve been there, done that and the other men have no idea what it's like to be put in that extreme.

I, for one, am proud to say that I am one of the few who have taken the challenge and survived the last w64 to be had. Although, I wouldnt have hard feelings if the event organizers lied and were planning another w64 behind our backs :wink_smil

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Grumpy,

Ley has said a couple of times that his "PAR" or "Pre-Action Report" may end up being longer than his AAR. If there is a post-event epistle, simply must include that pancake breakfast with the locals and about 200 of their friends and neighbors. What a motley and funky sight we must have been in that fire hall after W64.

On to Glendale!

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyDave
    replied

It is impossible still, after several days, for me to describe the feelings left to me from the event. I do apologize though, to those who did not attend. You will see jokes here for quite some time, only some few will understand. Imagine if you will, how you would feel, temperatures in the 20's snow on the ground and; You're told you will be the officer in charge of a replacement detail for the Grand Guard, which was on post about a mile and a half from camp. We were to take our gum blankets and wool blankets only. I myself packed an extra pair of socks. Megar rations and rounds were issued to the men, I received none. We would be releived in the morning. I am certian, the feelings in the hearts of those men assigned were the same as mine. I know the looks on their faces were.

I see a common theme umong the folks that attended the event. How do I write an AAR for a four day event? And, how do I put what I experienced into words?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Lloyd
    replied

I saw the ones on the event website, but anyone have any more pics of W64 2008?

Just a thought- Johnny Lloyd

Leave a comment:

• swampyankee76
    replied

I am honored to earn the nick name Corporal Jonah.... well kinda! I wonder how many times i tripped and fell on the ice. Last time i counted it was 14.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

Peter,

The sign was just right. Throwing together a chapel in the temporarily vacated sutler hut was something that came together as an alternative to slipping and sliding down that hill to the brush arbor, and we probably had more walk-in traffic near the end of the company street than at a location closer to "Beverly Ford."

For those who are interested, Terre Lawson's W64 AAR thread on the OTB is starting to receive a fair amount of postings about socks, dead batteries, fence posts, ink, pencils, stamps, hospital patient(s), the "little treasures," trash piles, tracts, firestarter, newspapers, and such.

Leave a comment:

• Pvt_Sullivan
    replied

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
    I had fun, how about you?

aka Del. Rob't Beasley, U.S.C.C.
    I did as well Sir...

Next time, I'll make sure to have a brush and a recipe for paint so I can make you a more proper sign than using campfire ash and my fingers.

Leave a comment:

• orngblsm
    replied

Gents,

W64 turned out to be one bully great time!! I'd like to thank the planning committees for all they did in creating some of the best scenarios I've been a part of. The candor and demeanor of all who attended was excellent. To the Pine Cottage Boys: It was a privilege and a pleasure to have taken up residence with you. Hope to see everyone soon

With Thawed Toes and Chapped Lips I am,

Leave a comment:

• bhutton
    replied

Thanks to all for making my 1st of I hope many AC events such a memorable expierience, the organizers went above and beyond, the conditions really left me with an idea on how those fellows lived.
    Met some really great people, had a fantastic time,learned a lot. Filling out my application now for the next event I'm going to attend.
    Thanks to all

Bob Hutton
    AKA George Horsfall company K

Leave a comment:

• Charles Heath
    replied

I had fun, how about you?

aka Del. Rob't Beasley, U.S.C.C.

Leave a comment:

• fallstoomuch
    replied

11) You suh, are a liar and a cheat...

SLAP!

Leave a comment:

• ley74
    replied

Arrived back at 12:45 AM Monday. More later.

Pvt. Harvey Wilson
    Co. H, 151st NYV

Leave a comment:

Working...
X