Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Fort McAllister, Dec. 12th-14th, 2008

Evening Gentlemen,

The dates have been set for one of the best end of the year events, the Battle of Fort McAllister. The event will be held on December 12th through the 14th, of 2008.

You can also register up online until November 25th, 2008. You can register on-line here:

However, on-site registration will open to all participants as of 12 pm on December 12th. The living history begins at 6 pm on the 12th.

The company's for this event have not been set except one that can be confirmed. That is the the "Emmett Rifles" company of the 22nd Battalion, Georgia Heavy Artillery. I will be commanding the artillery, under the garrison commander Clint Stanley(Maj. Anderson.)
    I am hoping to form the entire company for this years event with a compliment of 25 men and officers. This company will be as hardcore as possible.

Here is a low down on the scenario:

2008 Event Scenario

The 2008 program will recreate the final days of Ft. McAllister's garrison and the end of General William T Sherman's march to the sea. Confederate participants will experience garrison duties inside and outside the fort, preparing the fort's defenses for a land assult, and defending the fort during the battle on Saturday.

Federal participants will experience life on campaign, including camping on campaign, marches throughout Ft. McAllister State Park ending at the fort for the battle on Saturday.

The battle will take place Saturday afternoon and will be scripted to be as authentic to the actual battle as possible, after the fall of the fort, Federal troops will occupy the fort with the former Confederate defenders being prisoners for the Candle Lantern tour that follows the battle.

After the Candle lantern tour, Federal participants will galvanize into Confederate Kits to continue the Garrision scenario for the living history program Sunday, showing visitors to the Fort how the Fort's garrison lived and worked on a normal Sunday.

All participants should be prepared for a cold weather event and sleeping either outside or in tents for the weekend. Firewood, hay and ammunition will be provided by the Fort for the event.

All participants are asked to abide by the posted event guidelines during the weekend, and keep gear to a mininum as no vehicles will be allowed into the Garrison area after the event begins on Friday.

NO meals or rations will be provided by the Fort for this program, each man will be required to either provide his own rations, or mess with other participants for the weekend.

Guys, I'll lastly say this. This event was awarded best programming in the state of Georgia for historical events last year. A lot of that goes to Danny Brown, Talley Kirkland and the event staff for putting together such a great event. These guys rock. If last year was a lead up to this year, its going to be another GREAT event.

Very Respectfully,
    James F. Dunigan, III
    a.k.a. Capt. George A. Nicolls
    Co. "F", 22nd Battalion Georgia Heavy Artillery
    "Emmett Rifles"
    Commanding
    Last edited by Savannah Republican Blues; 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM.
    [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
    James F. Dunigan III
    1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
    "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Re: Battle of Fort McAllister, Dec. 12th-14th, 2008

Heres some pics of Fort McAllister shortly after its capture by Union Forces...

Enjoy!

Very Respectfully,
    James F. Dunigan, III
    "Emmett Rifles"
    Commanding
    [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
    James F. Dunigan III

Comment

Thanks for posting. Note the "Savannah Arsenal 1863" marking on one of the guns.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Wasn't there also pic of one of the gun carriages hacked through with a axe to render the gun unusable? I don't remember where I saw it, but I'll try to find it.
        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
        WIG/GVB
        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Hey C.R.,

There may be. I think I remember a photo of that nature but, I don't remember where I saw it at. :( I know for sure the "Pet" gun of Dixon's Republican Blues had a trunion blown off during the March 3rd, 63' action against the Montauk, Nahant and Pissaic. That may be the carriage you saw. I believe the removed carriage that is stacked in a couple of the period photos IS the "Pets" damaged carriage .

Roundshot, I saw the stenciling myself but, I couldn't make out the date, thanks!

Regards,
          Jim
          Savannah Republican Blues
          James F. Dunigan III

Comment

To also add to Mr. Dunnigan's posting. The federal troops will be portraying the 70th OVI. The were chosen based on the area that the attack takes place, there is a good deal written about them, they garrisoned the fort til time came to join the rest of the Army to head through the Carolinas...and they are one of 3 regiments to have posted their colors on the ramparts.
            I am heading this battallion. If more men arrive, then multiple battallions will be formed. Yes, we are wanting to give a chance to galvanize to CS for living history inside the "battery". However, some US living history will be conducted closer to the visitor's center. This it so that for the 145th, the Sunday program will be a full federal garrison of the 70th OVI with the CS participants galvanizing to US.
            This event, though not a 145th, will be conducted on the actual day of the assault.

Thank you and if interested please check out the website for more info and registration.
            Joe Blunt
            US commander and assistant event coordinator.
            "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

Joe,
              This has always been a great event and well worth the trip... there are few state parks that have the living historian's best interest in mind than Ft. Mcallister. Not to mention that the park has built 5 new winter permanent quarters since the last years muster. This is a event im looking forward too!

Ill be there my friend
              skip
              [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
              [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Gentlemen,

Just a heads up to this event. Registration has now officially closed(November 25th). However, the Federals still need soldiers for this weekend. There should be a 25 to 1 disadvantage for the defenders. Let's put on another great show for the public! Right now there are more Confederates than Federals thats why I'm emphasizing on behalf of the Federals.:D

Right now there are roughly 80 signed up. However with registration closed thats not end game if you'd like to participate. You can arrive on Friday the 12th of December, on-site registration opens at 12pm that day and runs through to Saturday morning.

As it stands now these are garrison assignments:

Fort McAllister Garrison:

Garrison Commander: Maj. Clint Stanley(Maj. Anderson)

Officer of The Day: Capt. Hunter Poythress

Command Sergeant Major of The Garrison: Sgt. Maj. Jim Boone

Chief of Musicians: Buddy Jowers

Infantry Commanders:

Co."D", 1st Georgia Reserves: Capt. Robby Mitchell(Capt. George N. Hendry)

Co. "E", 1st Georgia Reserves: Capt. Larry Bacon

Artillery Commander:

Co. "F", 22nd Battalion Georgia Heavy Artillery, "Emmett Rifles":
                Capt. Jim Dunigan, III(Capt. George Nicolls)

Federal Attacking Forces:

Commanding Officer: Col. Joe Blunt(Col. H. L. Phillips)

Adjutant: Thomas "Skip" Owens(1st Sgt. Nelson H. Edgington)

Sergeant Major of the Regiment: Sgt. Maj. Jeff Kirkland(Sgt. Maj. James McIntosh)

Co. "A", U.S. 70th Ohio Vol. Infantry: Capt. Ken Giddens(Capt. Richard McKee)

Co. "B", U.S. 70th Ohio Vol. Infantry: Capt. Rick Philips(Capt. Lindsey L. Edgington)

Co. "C", U.S. 70th Ohio Vol. Infantry: Capt. TBD(Capt. Harvey Hughes)

Very Respectfully,
                James F. Dunigan, III
                "Emmett Rifles"
                Commanding
                James F. Dunigan III

Comment

Working...
                X