X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri State Guard Returns Home to Boonesfield

Missouri State Guard Returns Home to Boonesfield

Dates: November 7-9, 2008

Description: It is November 1861. Members of the victorious Missouri State Guard are returning home after the recent Battle of Lexington. Gen. Sterling Price has furloughed many of his men after Lexington because he did not have enough food or equipment for them. Boonesfield is a divided town, so there may be mixed reaction to the returning heroes. The furloughed men engage in squirrel hunting, live round target shoots, and military drilling. The rest of the village will go on as usual -- with school in session, a church service, and the residents carrying on their work and professions. Captain Smith will run his famous Inn and Tavern again. Mrs. Brenton (Deborah Hyland) will once again sell candy and general merchandise at the Mercantile.

Host: Star of the West Society, http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home

Sponsor: Lindenwood University Boonesfield Village

Capacity: about 30 men; other civilians will be placed on a wait list.

Discussion Format: individual emails

Contact: Confederate: Frank Aufmuth, campjacksonboy@aol.com and
    Mike Kupsch, tatermess_mike@yahoo.com

Contacts for Civilians:
    Vivian Murphy for housing and accommodations, vgmurphy@q.com
    Deborah Hyland for mercantile consignments and pot luck contributions, djeh_b@yahoo.com
    Silvana Siddali for registration; silvana.siddali@gmail.com

Comments: This is an invitation-only event. We will have spectators / visitors to the village during the day, but after the village closes to the public the event becomes first-person. Men should contact Frank and Mike regarding their gear; all civilians should read the authenticity guidelines on the Star of the West site.

Overall Event Point of Contact: starofthewestsociety@gmail.com.

Event Type: Militia activities, civilian daily life and farm activities, LH, live-round target shoot, SOYA as needed.
    Impression(s): Missouri State Guard and respectable civilian farm folk.
    Registration: Please request information via email from starofthewestsociety@gmail.com.

All participants who sleep in a house are asked pay $7.50. Although November can be fairly cool in Missouri, those who prefer to sleep outdoors or in outbuildings may do so. They will pay a $5.00 registration fee. All fees are payable upon arrival at the event site.

The registration fee covers firewood, candles, and site maintenance. Participants can buy their meals at Captain Smith (Terry Sorchy’s) excellent Inn for a nominal charge.

Website: For further information about the village and a previous similar event, please see
    http://oldnorthwestvols.org/Boonesfield/index.html. You can download reg forms and other documents here as well.

Listserver: none.

Preservation Component: Registration fees will be used to preserve historic buildings at Boonesfield village, and to help pay for firewood, sanitation, and candles.

Wanted to add -- we realize that this event conflicts with Henkel Square. This is regrettable, but it was unavoidable this time around because of site constraints & other considerations. Star of the West & the Henkel Square folks have discussed the situation, but we hope it's not a problem because the two events don't draw from the same population. This should not occur again. Thanks for understanding.
    Last edited by Silvana Siddali; 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Re: Missouri State Guard Returns Home to Boonesfield

Miss Silvana,

Please put Brian and myself on your list for November, We can hardly wait to see it in the fall.:)
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
    Charlene Staples
    Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
    Boonesfield Village
    Lost Tribes
    Bummers

Comment

Re: Missouri State Guard Returns Home to Boonesfield

I was kicking myself for not being able to make Boonesfield this spring. Put me down as the village potter.

Thanks,
      Matt
      [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
      [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
      "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
      [COLOR="Red"]
      Marmaduke's Raid
      MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X