State Guard Returns to Boonesfield AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Guard Returns to Boonesfield AAR

The wind was bitter and sharp in Boonesfield Village but the event could not have been better, well, besides the weather. We arrived Friday night and found a roaring fire in the woodshop, some generous hospitality, and our illustrious Senator. We moved into the Pottery, made ourselves at home, and bedded down for the night. When we woke Saturday morning, the Village was alive with activity in nearly every corner--the gentlemen in the woodshop were hard at work, the mercantile was offering its display of mouth-watering delicacies, the seamstresses were stitching away upstairs in the dress shop and the inn was packed with warmth and conversation.

We opened the Pottery and worked some Red clay into a decent consistency and spent the better half of the morning throwing bowls, cups, and pitchers for visitors. We walked over to the Mercantile and listened to some of the finest Ethiopian music in the great state of Missouri, I believe. We also slipped over to Capt'n Smith's Inn and sampled the freshly cooked Oyster sauce :D

3:30 in the afternoon brought us to the 19th Century Singing School. I introduced the basics of shaped note singing and, as a class, we tried several exercises from the Sacred Harp (an 1844 songbook of sacred tunes). It was frustrating, and confusing, and exhausting...everything that a singing school would've been to folks just learning that style of music! We struggled through several songs and landed on New Britain and, I swear, by the end of the session the altos, trebles, and tenors were sounding all the right notes and touching that chord inside of me! It was great fun.

The day climaxed with the delicious dinner prepared by the hands of Capt'n Smith (Terry Sorchy) and an evening of music, dancing, and general reveilry. Sunday morning brought the worship service in which the shaped note singers sang beautifully and I presented the scripture readings and a brief sermon.

I can't say how everyone enjoyed the Sacred Harp or the Sunday sermon but, I loved it. This was such a great event with such great people and, if you missed it this year, well, you really missed it! There was so much going on at any moment that if you walked away from this event and didn't learn something or experience something new then you we're in bed all day or something. Thank you to Silvana, Terry Sorchy, Mike Comer (Mr. Senator), and everyone else for making this event such a huge success and so enjoyable for myself and Miranda. For those of you that didn't make it out to Boonesfield this year--come out next year. The May event is shaping up to be bigger and better and also, don't forget about Lost Tribes. Man, Missouri is a great state to be a living historian in!

Thanks,
    Matt Shomaker
    A.K.A. Matthew McHenry--Village Potter/Singing School Master/Minister
    [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
    [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
    "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
    [COLOR="Red"]
    Marmaduke's Raid
    MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
    [/COLOR]

Re: State Guard Returns to Boonesfield AAR

I thoroughly enjoyed myself too and it was nice seeing some folks that I hadn't seen for a while. And it's always nice to meet some new folks. For me, it was a completely relaxing time and I especially enjoyed sitting by the fire at the carpenter's shop, wrapped in my double shawl I purchased at the mercantile, reading the papers and being senatorial. Wandering through town, discussing the latest news and the situation in Missouri with Mr. Smith at the mercantile and watching the "Battle of Lexington" refought on the checkerboard were premier moments for me.

I was impressed by the shape not singers. I went to the church during practice just to observe what would happen. There were only one or two people that had any experience with this type of music and at first it sounded like skinning cats. But, I was very happy to see it come together after a while and it was pretty darn good I have to tell you. Some of the harmonies were quite nice. And Matt's a darn good singer which is something I didn't know. We'll have to get you and Warren, a very fine tenor, together around a fire some evening and let the two of you raise up your voices.

I'm ready to return to Boonesfield at any time.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I'm glad to hear it went well,I wish I could have attended.I am planning to make the next one,and already have plans made to attend the October event there.
      Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
      Tater Mess Social Orchestra
      Missourah Shirkers

Comment

Yes, it was wonderful. The autumn chill was easily defeated by cozy fires and pleasant company. Once again I have to write what Miss Brandi Jones calls "those oscar acceptance speeches," because there are so many people to thank ... to begin, then, thanks to Captain and Mrs. Smith (the Sorchys) for cooking the delectable fare and donating most of it. Brandi led period games for the children in the afternoon and at the social in the evening. That was lots of fun. Seeing Frank cavort about decked out with bonnets, shawls, a lit candle, an apple in his mouth -- and about a dozen other items festooned about his person -- was a rare treat. Deborah Hyland called the dances, which was enjoyed by all. Thanks to Matt for pinch-hitting with the Sunday service; the sermon was inspired and inspiring. I loved the shape note singing!

It's hard to pick out my favorite moments, but I think sitting around the stove in the Mercantile reading the letters from Texas aloud and listening to Carl Anderton's banjo, ably assisted by Dave West and Frank on the bones, was one of the best. I was impressed with the newspapers reproduced by Mr. Staples. Deborah's candy display was better than ever (the tamarind was lovely) and I particularly liked the sense of community created by everyone there. I'm deeply grateful to the folks who traveled such a long way to spend a little time in 1861 in Boonesfield. We had people from South and North Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Georgia, Kansas, and Iowa. It's astonishing to me how people scattered around the country can come together in that little village and immediately become friends and neighbors.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
        [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

I'm glad to hear the letters from Texas were a hit! We loved ours from Missouri down at Henkel Square, Texas.

I've got a question about the repro newspapers. I had several Texas early November, 1860, newspapers in .jpg, .gif, and .tif, and we were told by both Kinko's and by blueprint printers that they could reproduce one sided, but not two sided, images of the size that we wanted. How did y'all manage it?

Vicki Betts

Comment

I always learn so much by living the daily life of the Boone Village. I loved looking out onto the village green and seeing Brandy leading the children in a game of Blind Man’s Bluff. Plus, had I just read the instructions for the forfeit “Trip to Rome” I would have had no idea how truly funny it was. The instructions simply said that Frank Aufmuth must visit each person in the room and gather something for his journey to Rome. By the end, he was positively festooned with knitwear, shawls, baskets, a stool, a loaf of bread serving as a candleholder for the lit candle, and even an apple in his mouth!

The post office was great fun this time thanks to everyone’s participation. The letters and packages from Texas and from fellow participants were a wonderful touch. I know how challenging it is to find any time before an event, so know that making the effort is really appreciated.

I am happy to stock the shop with candy and knitwear, but without the lovely goods of the consigners (Vivian Murphy, Trish Hassenmueller, Brian Staples, Silvana Siddali, Anna Allen, Mary Getzke, and Linda Little), my little offerings would not fill the shop quite so well. Wanetta did a masterful job in her impression as clerk; she was a veritable rock.

I loved looking out and seeing everyone in the store, huddled by the woodstove, reading the newspaper, playing checkers on the porch, perusing the goods.

As I look at all the event photos, I realize how much was going on that we did not see—every building had something going on in it all day long—unlike so many events where everything grinds to a halt as people move to the next scenario or where nothing much happens at all until a little ten-minute vignette occurs. I much prefer the Boone Village way.

The only pauses were for singing school and church, much as it would have been. I learned so much about shape note singing that I had puzzled over before and Matt Shoemaker was infinitely patient with us.

All of Silvana’s hard work in fostering relations with the Boone Home goes unseen, but I don’t want it to go unsung. Brava!

Now for the Oscar acceptance speech bits. My thanks go out to the following:
            • Carl for playing music in the shop & at the dance
            • The Wimmer Browns for setting such a good example by standing up and inviting others to join in the dancing
            • The Sorchys for the fine food
            • Everyone who brought such delicacies to the Thanksgiving feast
            • Patrick McAllister for rescuing me from the cadaverous mouse
            • Those who travelled so far to join our little village.

I can’t wait to return.
            Regards,
            Deborah Hyland
            dance mistress

Comment

Perhaps this is a bit belated, but I, too, want to say how much I enjoyed my stay at Boonesfield. When I arrived there was a wedding going on in the church, so I went with Silvana,Belinda, and Patrick to inspect the grounds further over from the village where our friends will be camping this coming May.
              We were finally able to move in and get settled at the Engledew house and soon it was filled with warmth of the fires in the large hearths and the sound of dishes clattering and people laughing and visiting. When everyone had arrived by late evening the house had a total of 13 people! What a warm cozy 1860's feel it had as I walked up the stairs to check on the boarders, they had settled in, with cozy quilts and coverlets on the beds, a table with lamp and accessories of ladies toilet. It was wonderful to have so many guests in the house.
              Finally settling down to sleep on Fri. evening, and getting a good nights sleep, I awoke to the sounds of the coffee pot rattling and soft voices working at the mornings chores. It seemed I'd barely gotten awake, when Mr. Sorchy announced that breakfast was served !
              What a treat, piles of crusty fresh bread, butter, jam, yummy slab hickory smoked bacon and stacks of eggs!

After dressing and breakfast, I took a walk to the General Store and what a site! The blustery wind had chased everyone inside to the warm and friendly store where Mr.and Mrs.Brenton were visiting with neighbors and doing a booming business. The counter was covered with scrumptous confections that Mrs. Brenton looks far and wide to bring to her shop. I found some wonderful merino wool yarn from Mrs.Little and thouroughly enjoyed myself visiting with friends and listing to the music. Mr.Anderton,Mr.Aufmuth, and Mr.Davis had found a warm spot by the stove and were entertaining us with their talents at the banjo,tamborine,and bones. And also favoring some of us with special requests on vocal arrangements.

Later in the day we were all called to the church for a lesson in Sacred Harp singing. What fun! I very much enjoyed myself and thank Matt Shoemaker for the class.

Suddenly I realized I needed to be back at my house, preparing food for the dinner that evening. I hurried home and found dear Mrs.Good at the hearth along with her husband. They had cooked apples, slaw, and were help Mr.Sorchy with the main preparations for our turkey dinner.

We made good use of Mr.Goods push cart, and carried our abundant assortment of fare to the church basement where we all enjoyed a wonderful dinner together. The food was so abundant I can't begin to recall everything on the table The roast turkey prepared by Mr.Sorchy was as always a big treat. Along with this was squash, a corn/tomatoe dish, hot bread of all sorts, beets, fruit, jellies, pickled okra,pickles,pork pies, potatoes, and several varieties of pies.
              After enjoying the dinner and helping to clean up, I went back to my house, to find several of the boarders enjoying the fire in the main room. Visiting till late in the evening, gradually one by one they all took their bidding and retired for the evening. Soon the guests who had attended the dance and music returned home to the Engledew and after just a short time the house was once again quiet, with everyone sound asleep.

On Sunday we all arose, after a good nights sleep to the sound once again of Mr.Sorchy calling us to breakfast.
              After eating and dressing for Sunday, we walked across the field to the sounds of the church bells calling us. Mr.Shoemaker had a wonderful sermon and the music was very special. It was so pleasant to sit in the warm sunshine coming through the windows and slowly glance around to all my firiends. There's not a more comforting,thankful and humbling experience than to be in worship with close friends from far and wide that have gathered for the weekend. And all too soon we will all be once again going our separate ways, until another time.

Regards
              Vivian Murphy

Comment

It's always such a joy to be in the company of so many like-minded living historians. And to have a town like Boonesfield for a setting makes for an unbeatable event.

I hope everyone had a grand time at the dance- for me that is always the crown among all the Boonesfield jewels- and without Deborah Hyland instructing us on dances that were so common once but nobody knows today, it wouldn't happen. Thank you, Deborah. I delight in providing the music, and hope to improve on it for next time. I need some Quadrille's in my repertiore!
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X