This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chickamauga NPS LH: 19-21 September 2008

Is there any further news for this event? I heard that you were accepting registrations and the fee's. I would have sent a private email, but I feel that others may have a question and this could use a bump.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Friends,

On behalf of SCAR, I’m pleased to announce that registration for the SCAR living history program at Chickamauga is now open. The event will be at Chickamauga National Military Park on September 19-21 and will highlight the park’s 145th anniversary observance of the battle. The guiding impression will be the 21st Ohio’s Company A.

The event website is:

Additional information regarding the weekend will be posted there as it becomes available. You’ll find the registration form waiting for you to download, complete, and submit. Uniform guidelines and photos of some original members of the 21st are available as well.

Our “recruiting” goal is to have (at least) 51 soldiers on line for Friday night and Saturday as this was the actual number of men in Company A at the time of the battle. Numbers in excess of 51 will be used in various supporting roles, such as key members of regimental staff, musicians, orderlies, etc. We can also incorporate another company into the scenarios if our numbers justify it. We have copies of each man’s military service record, pension record (if applicable), hospital records (if applicable), final statement (if applicable), and inventory of effects (if applicable). In other words, we know what happened to each man in the company that answered the long roll on the Chickamauga battlefield. We will utilize this information in each public demonstration to visually show the public the casualties absorbed by this company during the fight at Snodgrass Hill. We will also have a special ceremony to honor the actual men of Company A at dusk on Saturday night . . . the time when the majority of the surviving members of the company were captured.

By providing various scenarios representative of the incidents associated with the confusion of battle, which include troop movements, firing demonstrations, and medical demonstrations that relate the conditions of the field, park visitors will be able to get some sense of the size of the battle, the intensity of the fighting and the stark reality of the minimal medical treatment afforded the wounded before being transported back to the field hospital.

By focusing on the movement associated with the 21st OVI, and specifically the rank structure and number of men in the ranks of Company A, a corollary goal is to provide the volunteer living historians a unique experience by allowing them the opportunity to participate in scenarios that are representative of the events encountered by the entire regiment on Sept 19 and 20, 1863.

Please help us spread the word regarding this special weekend. How cool would it be to honor the men of the original regiment by putting an actual-sized company in the field on the anniversary of the battle???

Please let me know if you have any questions . . .

Joshua Haugh

21st Ohio
      Jim Butler

Comment

SCAR’s living history program at Chickamauga is now only two months away and the excitement continues to mount.

The folks at the Chickamauga reenactment . . . which is a separate event on the same weekend . . . have chosen to highlight the role of the 21st Ohio's own Samuel Fletcher Cheney as part of their festivities. We are expecting a decent amount of press coverage too because of the programs we're scheduled to conduct at Chickamauga NMP while representing the 21st.
        We have received a good number of registration forms already . . . but we’ve still got plenty of room for more. Please go ahead and register if you haven’t done so . . . and encourage your pards to do the same. Our goal is a 51-man company, as that was the number of men were on line in Company A during the battle. Registration forms can be found online at: http://www.geocities.com/union21ovi/chick

Let me know if you have any questions . . . I'm looking forward to seeing you in the field.

Joshua Haugh

Joshua.haugh@citadel.edu
        Jim Butler

Comment

I do want to go, so how are the numbers as of now? Also anyone coming from anywhere close to Michigan or on the way there lookng for a rider, it is a long trip for me to do it alone. PM if you are on the rout of I-75, looking to split costs.
          Thomas J. Alleman
          "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

I believe Josh stated he has 40 out of 50 to fill the company.

Jim Butler
            Jim Butler

Comment

To the folks in town for whatever reason during the Chickamauga 145th,

I know this does not relate to this particular thread and I also know it conflicts with the Federals at this living history AND conflicts with the mainstream/progressive reenactment down south. BUT..

Your post does conflict with this event and thread, if you want to advertise your event you need to go through the process to have it listed in this folder. Please do not piggyback on someone else's thread.

Jim Kindred - Moderator
              Last edited by JimKindred; 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM. Reason: Conflicts with thread and event.
              Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
              Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
              ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
              ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
              ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
              ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
              ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

There are a lot of exciting events going at Chickamauga NP on 19-21 Sept with book signings, battlefield tours, Confed living history, a four-gun Federal artillery battery, and a Federal 50-man infantry company. Anyone who happens to live in the area . . . or is bored at the mainstream reenactment . . . would be well served to stop by the park and enjoy all of the park's anniversary events.

To our friends in the 1st Tenn . . . I've forwarded your location up to Thomas' headquarters. Perhaps we'll receive orders to probe your defenses next weekend

Joshua Haugh
                21st Ohio

Comment

Just wondering why y'all couldn't have just signed up with the pre-planned and organized Living History effort at the park rather than start another one??? DECONFLICTION anyone???

Jim Butler
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                  X