145th Seige of Fort Morgan - Authentic Adjunct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 145th Seige of Fort Morgan - Authentic Adjunct

I saw the promotion for this event over on Civil War Reenactors and figured I would check here too.

Will all of you from the deep south be good enough to talk a big game, develop rain small kitty-itis and never show up or leave early at this event like you did at Brice's Crossroads to give the c/p/h movement a second black eye for 2009?

You know you could just go to EBUFU events, do some soldiering and save all of us a bunch of heartache and embarrassment.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

145th Seige of Fort Morgan - Authentic Adjunct

The Yellowhammer Rifles will be organizing an authentic adjunct Federal Infantry Company to man the seige works at the 145th Anniversary of the Seige of Fort Morgan, on Ft Morgan Island, Alabama (Near Gulf Shores and Orange Beach) August 1&2, 2009.

The event organizer has challenged us to man these works the entire weekend. We plan to do just that. We will do so under stretched shelter halves and blankets, and it is sure to be HOT.

Food will be centralized, with everyone asked to bring components for our company mess cook to use (potatoes, rice, beans, beef, etc. in period containers) So plan to live out of your knapsack. More info to follow.

Guidelines are simple...mid-late war Federal. Hardee hats, and fatigue jackets or Frocks. More detailed guidelines will be posted at a later date. You will be required to meet the minimum guidelines, and standards will be enforced.

We will be portraying the forces under Gen Gordon Granger who commanded about 5,500 Federal troops during the seige...the same troops captured Ft Gaines a few days earlier, and then moved on to Ft Blakeley.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org....jsp?id=h-1257

To register (free) please e-mail galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov

Info on the event:

August 1 & 2, 2009
    145TH Anniversary of the
    SIEGE OF FORT MORGAN and the
    BATTLE OF MOBILE BAY, ALABAMA

Large regional reenactment event based on the actual siege of Ft. Morgan and parts of the ironclad naval engagements. Two of the Columbus , Georgia, National Naval Museum warships will be on hand to duel it out and take on the fort's Water Battery.

Federal siege works with artillery batteries will help bombard Ft. Morgan into submission. Confederate mortar batteries are needed to simulate counterbattery fire from the fort. An original 32-pounder seacoast gun will be firing from the Water Battery.

Numerous sandbags will be in place outside the fort was originally done during the siege.

All Confederate infantry to portray the 21st Ala. Infantry. All Confederate artillery to portray the 1st Alabama or the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery Battalions.

Federals to portray General Canby’s besieging Army. The original garrison sortie will begin at 2 Pm on Saturday.

Siege scenarios will be going on both days and naval survivors will be taken from the beaches and locked up in a fort bastion. Sunday’s large fort bombardment and naval engagements will end with the surrender of the Confederate Garrison.

Federal infantry and artillery are highly sought. Due to the sometimes extreme conditions at Ft. Morgan, all federal reenactors will have the use of the senior officers’ quarters. Communal arrangements with AC, showers, kitchen facilities and several bedrooms are available on a first come first served basis with rotations. All campaigners may stay in the trenches which are very near the quarters. Tent flies are recommended for all federals.

Evening supper for all the reenactors will be served in the fort Saturday.

A military command structure is being developed by the fort staff. If you portray a real soldier from the battle please let us know. Please keep your soldier impressions to ones that were at the fort during this time.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Re: 145th Seige of Fort Morgan - Authentic Adjunct

List is coming together quite well. We would love to have 30 or so.

E-mail me at galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I'll be there.
        Tyler Gibson
        The Independent Rifles

Comment

I have been working on a march for Friday afternoon/Sat morning for the campaign company at Fort Morgan Aug 1 and 2..

Right now, here is how it is looking.

We will start the march Friday evening around 5PM at Fort Morgan Fire Station # 1 (pending the chief’s permission), or somewhere there abouts…and end at Navy Cove (appx 4 miles), which is exactly where the Federal troops landed and then moved into the siege works. I am working with the Gulf Shores Fire Chief to secure permission for us to camp at Navy Cove. Sat morning, we will rise with the roosters and march the final 3 miles to the fort, right into the works where will give and receive fire for the remainder of the weekend.

Late comers can be ferried out to Navy Cove for the march in Sat morning.

More to follow on this as details emerge.
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen,

Ain't it gonna be hot enough for August in Alabama for you? You gotta makes these boys march around, too?

You a hard man, Massa Wagner!
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

I am also brining in a few hundred thousand mosquitoes. We'll make Tater put a Carbon Dioxide dispenser in his knapsack for the march so they don't have any trouble keeping up.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen...If you need a Hardtack supplier I might know someone:D
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I think we are set for this event.

We had enough left over from Blakely.

Looking forward to you doing the issue for RB!
                  Galen Wagner
                  Mobile, AL

Comment

Skeeters! Nobody said nothing about skeeters! Ain't the Gulf breeze enough to keep them away?
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Nope,

Just gives them enough lift so they can carry you off completely.......
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

There are many great pics of the Fort both modern and period photos. Sounds hot and nasty but interesting.

Thomas J. Alleman
                        "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Mr. Alleman,

Do you notice the remarkable resemblance to a row of bake ovens in that image? :D

Seriously, this is a marvelous original site. You fellers will have a good time. For those unfamilar with the area, you'll want to allow several hours to make a short walk to the Mobile Bay Ferry, take a ride across , and another brisk walk to Fort Gaines, built in a different style on the opposite side of the bay. On a good day, you can stand at one, and see the other on the horizon.

And, you'd be well advised to pack a bucket, and volunteer for any pickett duty available in the pre-dawn. If you hear a number of bells ringing, or the cry of JUBILEE! , its time to make a run for the beach. :tounge_sm

I'm betting your messmates will let you off of any charges for abandoning your post.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Looks like we will camp at Pilot Town at Navy Cove (where the federal troops landed) Friday night and march in to the seige positions Saturday morning. The march will be early AM and about 3 miles.

We will portray the 77th Illinois. Bring picks, shovels, etc so when we arrive we can "improve the works."

Info on the 77th at Fort Morgan:

“The Regiment remained on the (Dauphin) island until the 25th, when they struck tents and went on the steamer "J. M. Burr," and crossed over to Fort Morgan. Here they took on board the 96th Ohio, and also a lot of spades, shovels, axes, wheelbarrows, etc., and then ran up to Cedar Point, above Fort Powell, and landed. They marched about a mile and then returned, as the point was so swampy they could find no place to encamp.
                            The Brigade now consisted of five Regiments, the 23d Wisconsin, 67th Indiana, 77th Illinois, 96th Ohio and 161st New York. But in less than a week another change was made, when the Brigade was reduced to three Regiments -- the 34th Iowa, 67th Indiana and 77th Illinois -- and commanded by Col. Clark, of the 34th Iowa.
                            Details went to work on the point, throwing up breastworks and bringing forward artillery from the boats. The boys enjoyed themselves feeding on fish and oysters, which were abundant, while the mosquitoes enjoyed themselves feeding on the boys. But as there was not room enough for so many troops, the Seventy-Seventh and two other Regiments crossed the Bay and landed at Pilot Town, four miles in rear of Fort Morgan. “

Anyone planning to attend, e-mail me at galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov so I am sure I can share the meeting location, and any other infomation as it gets closer to event time.
                            Last edited by GWagner; 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM.
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Comment

I'll bring the mosquitos and horse flies!
                              Tyler Gibson
                              The Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X