• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 145th Seige of Fort Morgan - Authentic Adjunct

I think they will be there already!
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

145th Anniversary of Battle of Mobile Bay set for Aug. 1-2
      Clayton Wallace
      Gulf Shores

“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!” is a quote with which virtually every Alabamian is familiar. August marks the 145th anniversary of those famous lines by Union Navy Admiral David G. Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay and the Siege at Fort Morgan. The Fort will be ground zero for a weekend-long celebration Aug. 1 and 2 marking the anniversary complete with authentic Civil War re-enactors and two ¾ scale ironclad replicas doing battle around the mouth of the bay.

According to Fort Morgan Historic Programs Coordinator Mike Bailey the weekend’s events will actually begin Friday evening, July 31 with a special night firing of the largest artillery piece at the fort. “At 8:30 Friday evening, we will fire our 32 lb. artillery,” Bailey said. “This is only the second time we will have done that. It should be an awesome sight and a great way to begin the weekend.”

If all the details can be worked out, Union soldiers will be camped at Navy Cove Friday evening. It was there the 77th Illinois Infantry under the command of Major-General Edward R. S. Canby landed before marching west to lay siege to Fort Morgan, which was occupied by Confederate forces under the command of Brig. Gen. Richard L. Page that eventually surrendered. The Confederate soldier re-enactors will be camped inside the fort for the weekend and the surrender will be re-enacted on Sunday, according to Bailey.

“We want to camp at Navy Cove Friday night and march on the fort Saturday morning,” Galen Wagner said. He is a member of the Yellowhammer Rifles, a Civil War re-enactment group. “Even though we’re all from Alabama, we’re portraying the siege army of the Union for this battle,” he said.

The re-enactors will lay siege to the fort on Saturday while two ¾ scale ironclad replica warships duel in the waters off the fort. “We’re excited to have two replica ironclads from the National Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus Ga. On hand for the weekend,” Bailey said. “They will battle each other Saturday and then lay siege to the fort on Sunday.”

Bailey said although the two warships will be portraying the CSS Tennessee and the USS Manhattan for the weekend, they are actually replicas of the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia. “They’ve never been here before, so it’s going to be special,” he said.

Bailey said if attendance at the fort’s Candlelight Tours this summer is any indication, he expects a great turnout for the anniversary celebration. “We had more than 500 people turn out for our June 9 tour,” he said.

There will be no special admission charge for the weekend, only the standard admission fee of $5 for adults, $4 for seniors 65 or older and $3 for children 6 through 18. Children not yet 6 are admitted free of charge.

For more information on the weekend, contact the Fort Morgan Museum at 540-7127.
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Portrayal

Due to some conflicting info, we will NOT be portraying the 77th Illinois, as some accounts indicate they grounded and never made to Morgan during the actual siege.

We are researching to determine (or attempt to) if the 161st NY or the 20th Iowa will be selected. I had decided on the 161st, but then found a bit of conflicting info there.

Unless a hurricane prevents it, we will be there portraying someone. I'll work with Mr Gangler, and the park to make a unit determination...but will probably lock in on the 20th Iowa...as the documentation seems to be the most clear.

More to follow as we solidify.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Comment

Them skeeters were some of the best lil' sojers Marse Robert ever had. :)Y'all know that the skeeters never surrendered to Grant or Sherman! They are still loyal to the Confederacy and have been missing the good nutritious and fortified "blue blood" of them well fed Yankees.:tounge_sm They miss you Billy Yank and told me so!:wink_smil
          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I'll be sending in the registration for the company in a few days.

We have had a change in plans, and Brian Desrochers will be the company commander.

If you are attending, and are not on this list...please e-mail me at galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov and I will add you before I send in registration...it is free.

Brian Desroscher, Capt
            Galen Wagner, First Sgt.
            Mike Rocchio, Cpl.
            Garrett Wagner
            Shepard Partridge, Co. Slacker
            Henry Skinner
            Randy Brown
            Tom Donaldson
            Roger Hansen
            Tyler Gibson
            Joey Gangler
            Casey Graber
            Michael Comer
            Clayton Sweeny
            John Burton
            Drew Gaston
            Clay Thigpen
            Charlie McCulloh, Mess Cook

The works are sand and some header logs will be added. Please bring shovels, etc if you have them to improve our position. We will be ferrying people out in a van to the Fri night camp spot. Again, the march is only 3 miles, so plan to carry your shovel or pick, or ax. We will be positioned close to the gulf side. This is where the main assault will take place both days.

A note from the cook...we will have a company mess set up as usual:

Ft. Morgan Rations

Same set up as usual. I'll have the hot dipped tin camp kettles there. I have asked Mike Rocky-ho to intercede with his wife Vanessa hoping she will make a box of hard tack. Her tack was undisputedly the best of the crop.

I would suggest either boiled beef or pork as these can be mixed with vegetables, beans etc. for a good meal.

Always good:
            Dried beans
            Rice
            Potatoes
            Carrots
            Onions

Any fruit you would like to bring would be great...and will aid with hydration. We'll deposit all food items at the company mess at the fort prior to going to the march start Friday evening.

Also bring DEET spray...at least 20%. The mosqitoes will most likely be very active at dusk. We don't want any west nile cases. I would also suggest you spray your clothes with permithrin (sp) You can buy it at Walmart. You put it on your clothes about 24 hours prior, and it wards off all sorts of critters.
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Comment

Last Call

Last call as I'll be sending in registration tomorrow.

If you aren't on my list, but plan to attend, e-mail me at galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov

We have secured the Navy Cove camping spot. We will meet at the Fort for supper, then ferry out to the landing area, and turn in for the early AM march.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Comment

Working...
              X