Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort McAllister Winter Muster - Dec 11-13th, 2010

Gents,

I know that SCAR and the Armory Guards will be enforce at Ft. McAllister on Dec 11-13th, 2010 as Feds. Gidden's Goats and Butler's Bastards will be there. Tripp and many of his 1st Div. Bummers will also be there! It is a nice, relaxing follow-up to Bummers as we conquer Savannah! Contact Joe Blunt or check the webpage at:

Dinner is served Sat. evening.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    SCAR www.scarreenactors.com
    Jim Butler

Re: Fort McAllister Winter Muster - Dec 11-13th, 2010

The Militia and Civilian staffer of Bummers will be in Blue to unleash some HELL on the fort in December. (we have a lot of steam to unload)

Butler
    Giddens
    Thomason

Each one is a fine commander so you have plenty of choices. I'll be with Cap'n Thomason, but be alongside the SCAR Lunatics.

That fort isn't going to know what hit it when we come in.

(Also we will be portraying the 2nd Brigade,70th Ohio (right guys?) that hit the center of the fort at the Sally Port.)

"Guardian of Savannah" by Roger Durham and "Southern Storm" by Noah A. Trudeau are great primers/secondary narratives of the McAllsiter contest.

Of couse all should consult the ORs like the good little reenactors that we are for the original sources!

Bring the PAIN!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

My ggg grandfather (Pvt. James Chandler, Co. H, 111 IL) always claimed his company was the first in the fort during the assault. It has always been my dream to see this (really the crowning achievement of his military career) displayed the right way, and coming home from Afghanistan next year I can think of no better way to break back into the hobby. Count me in.
      [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
      [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
      [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
      [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
      [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
      [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
      [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

Pardon me if I am wrong, but I do believe you mean Dec 11-13th, 2009. Not 2010. I do look forward to this event though.The Sunday of the event is the 145th anniversary of the siege of the fort on the original site.

Regards,
        Brandon Hand
        48th NYSV Co. F
        SCAR
        -Brandon Hand
        48th NY Co. F
        Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Looking foward to it...See you all soon!!:D

Here are some original pics of the fort

Last edited by PetePaolillo; 11-22-2009, 08:37 AM. Reason: added pics
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Those are some nice pictures Pete. Some of us from the Tramp Brigade were trying to figure out how they fired the siege guns from the regulations. A picture really helps explain it.
            Tyler D. Scott

Comment

Re: Fort McAllister Winter Muster - Dec 11-13th, 2009

Yeah it is supposed to be 2009.

I know that Clint, Joe, and the Head Ranger Danny Brown would like to see more Federals than Johnnys at this one. Keep that in mind if you are interested in the event.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Some info on the 70th Ohio

A couple of links for the Federal unit portrayed at McAllister this year

and

and

70th Regiment Infantry

Organized at West Union, Ohio, October 14, 1861. Moved to Ripley, Ohio, December 25, thence to Paducah, Ky., February 17, 1862. Attached to District of Paducah, Ky., to March, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 5th Division, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 5th Division, District of Memphis, Tenn., to November. 1862. 3rd Brigade, 5th Division, District of Memphis, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, November, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, District of Memphis, 13th Army Corps, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 16th Army Corps, to March, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 16th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, 15th Army Corps, to August, 1864. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 15th Army Corps, to September, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 15th Army Corps, to July, 1865. Dept. of Arkansas to August, 1865.

SERVICE.--Moved from Paducah, Ky., to Savannah, Tenn., March 6-10, 1862. Expedition to Yellow Creek and occupation of Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., March 14-17. Crump's Landing April 4. Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. Russell House, near Corinth, May 17. Occupation of Corinth May 30. March to Memphis, Tenn., via LaGrange, Grand Junction and Holly Springs June 1-July 21. Duty at Memphis until November. Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign, operations on the Mississippi Central Railroad, November, 1862, to January, 1863. Moved to LaGrange, Tenn., and duty there until March 7, and at Moscow until June 9. Ordered to Vicksburg, Miss., June 9. Siege of Vicksburg June 14-July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Bolton's Ferry, Black River, July 4-6. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Camp at Big Black until September 26. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 26-November 20. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Tunnel Hill November 23-25. Mission Ridge November 25. March to relief of Knoxville, Tenn., November 28-December 28. Regiment reenlisted January 1, 1864. Veterans on furlough February. Duty at Scottsboro, Ala., until May. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Near Resaca May 13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Brush Mountain June 15. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Ruff's Mills July 3-4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Ezra Chapel July 28 (Hood's second sortie). Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Reconnaissance from Rome on Cave Springs Road and skirmishes October 12-13. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Statesboro December 4. Near Bryan Court House December 8. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Fort McAllister December 13. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Columbia, S.C., February 16-17. Battle of Bentonville, N. C., March 20-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 30. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Ky., June, thence to Little Rock, Ark., and duty there until August. Mustered out August 14, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 70 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 188 Enlisted men by disease. Total 265.

These boys hit the Sally Port entrance during the fight and that is what will be recreated this year at the fort. Space is still available for those who want to attend.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

With respect to the 70th Ohio at Ft Mc Allister you had 13 men whose enlistement was up and they mustered out from the 13 of Dec 1864 to 19th Dec 1864....so you had a number of boys in this unit assaulting the fort knowing it was thier last Hoo rah ! and were likely going home shortly thereafter. what a cool interpretation / FIRPER opty for those so inclined.

This young man completed his enlistment went home on the day of the taking of the Fort:

Pvt John Leiter, Co C - age 20 - enlisted Nov 7, 1861 for 3 yrs Mustered out Dec 13, 1864, at Ft McAllister, GA, on expiration of term.

You had eight 70th Ohio K-I-A from the Taking of Ft McAllister including two young Sgts:

Sgt Roderick Davis..Co C. - age 24 - enlisted Oct 14, 1861 for 3 yrs - Appointed Corporal Nov 18, 1861; Sgt Jan 26, 1863; killed De 13, 1864, in action near Ft McAllister, GA; veteran.
                  and another Sgt who dies from his wounds the following month:

Sgt Benjamin T Sallyards - Co I - aged 18 - enlisted Nov 11, 1861 for 3 yrs Appointed from Corporal Oct 19, 1864, died Jan 31, 1865, at Beaufort, SC, of wounds received Dec 13, 1864, in assault on Ft McAllister, GA; veteran.
                  Also two Substitutes refunded the ultimate payment with their lives during this assualt

Pvt Henry Shoeman - 34 y/o – Enlisted Aug 13, 1864 for 1 yr as Substitute; killed Dec 13, 1864, in assault on Ft McAllister, GA.

Pvt George Knies - aged 30 - enlisted - Aug 1, 1864 for 3 yrs as Substitute; died Dec 16, 1864, of wounds received Dec 13, 1864, in assault on Ft McAllister, GA.
                  I find it striking in comparision of the young ages of the two Sgts and the then "middle aged" substitutes. A substitute would be a cool impression and his pards reaction to this death.

All would make from some pretty intresting interps. I love this old fort and this small event.

Comment

Disregard my earlier inquiry... I found the source..........

Mathias Orr, Company D, 70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
                    Orr, Matthias Corporal 25 Sep 10, 1861 3 yrs Appointed Corporal Jul 29, 1862; transferred to Co F, 17th Regiment Veteran Reserve Corps, Jan 25, 1864.

I found this photo and thought it quite interesting. Notice how the corporal stripes are not attached to his coat? I imagine it was taken sometime recently after his promotion to Corporal in 1862 ...I thought this Gentleman to be very special because he entered into service on my Birthday 110 years earlier...Cool stuff

Mathias Orr, Company D, 70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Ninth plate tintype. Sick Man's Odyssey Mathias Orr, a 25 year old native of Hamilton County, Ohio, enlisted in Company D, 70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry at Cincinnati on September 10, 1861. The following Spring he took part in the horrific clash of armies at Pittsburg Landing on April 6 and 7. On July 28, 1862, a little more than three months after the battle of Shiloh, Orr was promoted to corporal but that lofty rank did not prevent him from being assigned to extra duty sawing boards in October. It would appear that Orr was not destined for greatness. Sometime in the Spring of 1863 his health began to fail and, according to his company commander, Captain Charles Johnson, "...he continued to grow worse and weaker until he was unfit for active service in the field." Orr was admitted to Washington General Hospital, at Memphis, Tennessee on June 9, 1863 where he was treated for gonorrhoea. Some records show that he was returned to duty on June 19, but other records indicate that he had only been transferred to the Post Hospital, Provisional Encampment, Fort Pickering near Memphis. Between June 19 and July 5 he was treated for intermittent fever; between July 5 and July 10 for inflammation of the liver; July 17 to 29 for chronic rheumatism; and from August 12 to 16, 1863 for intermittent fever again. In September 1863 Corporal Orr was listed on a roll of officers and enlisted men of the regiment who were unfit for active field service but fit for duty in the Invalid Corps. The nature of his disability was cited as "chronic inflammation of liver (10 months)." His character while in the hospital was listed as "good," and additional remarks reported him to be "a good and brave soldier." Mathias Orr was sent back to his home State where he entered the West End General Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio on November 17, 1863 suffering from anaemia. On December 5, 1863 he was transferred to the General Hospital at Camp Dennison, Ohio for treatment of spinal irritation. On December 21, 1863, after nearly a year of ill health, Corporal Orr was transferred to the Invalid Corps. It was an unfortunate choice for a name because the initials were the same as those used by the quartermaster's corps to brand rejected materiel as "Inspected - Condemned." Many of the disabled veterans resented the implications that the initials had for them. A few months later, the corps of disabled veterans had its name changed to the Veteran Reserve Corps. For the next nine months Corporal Orr served in Company F, 17th Regiment VRC, primarily performing hospital duty in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was discharged from the army at the expiration of his three year enlistment on September 16, 1864 still suffering from chronic diarrhea and derangement of the liver.
                    Last edited by PetePaolillo; 12-03-2009, 09:02 AM. Reason: added info
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I'll have the Emmett Rifles company of Infantry, acting as artillery again this year. :) We had a great turn out last year with 18 out of 25 being on hand! Almost a full compliment for the company! ;)

Regards,
                      Savannah Republican Blues
                      [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                      James F. Dunigan III
                      1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                      "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

Working...
                      X