Fort Moultrie, SC 1859, May 30th-31st, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Moultrie, SC 1859, May 30th-31st, 2009

Herb, Thanks for the kind words and endorsement...
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Buglers, Drummer and Fifer needed for Fort Moultrie, SC 1859, May 30th-31st, 2009

Buglers, Drummers and Fifers!

To pull off a proper ante-bellum Federal Garrison we need your specialty impression. I have reached out to a few musicians that I know already. I've decided to cast our net wider in the search of functional musicians interested in exercising their art.

If you are interested in supporting our event, on a first come, first served basis, functional musicians willing to fill roles as a Bugler, Drummer and Fifer with the Federal Garrison will have their registration fee waived for the Fort Moultrie 1859 Living History.

Please contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com to express your interest.
      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I was asked about the equipment and baggage that one could bring to Fort Moultrie for this event at Knoxville.

Props for the garrison living area. Period chairs, tables, lanterns chest etc, are encouraged. If there is anything else special you want to bring email Pete or myself to get clarification. Arrive early if possible.

Tents: If anyone can bring some tents for the Militia camp and the Civilians contact us.

The Federal and Militia commanders will have the authority to issue passes to town on Saturday night, we will maintain a watch in the Fort and the camps all through out the night, so no equipment will be left unguarded. We have to be strict on the "no alcohol on NPS grounds" rule, as well.

Any other ideas or suggestions, send me a PM or e mail.
        Gregory Deese
        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Jeepers! I even heard people talking sweetly about this event (and the follow ups) while in Pennsyltucky this past weekend. No shrimp, cheese, or grits were harmed in the production of this post.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Fort Moultrie, SC 1859 Living History - Communication #2

Pre-Event Communication #2 was sent out on 30 April 2009.

We are just 4 weeks away from this event at historic Fort Moultrie and are still looking for Living Historians for all of our roles. Our registration will remain open until 22 May and we will not allow walk-ons.

Please visit the Event Website to register if you are interested and feel free to contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com if you have any questions concerning this event.
            Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Fort Moultrie, SC 1859 Living History - Communication #3

Pre-Event Communication #3 was sent out on 11 May 2009.

We are still looking for living historians eager to recreate the history of the Old US Army and the SC Militia on Sullivan's Island the weekend of 29 to 31 May 2009. Our registration will remain open until 22 May and we will NOT allow walk-ons.

Please visit the Event Website to register if you are interested and feel free to contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com if you have any questions concerning this event.
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Re: Federal Uniform

Originally posted by Matt_E_Wright View Post
                Also, what are the sleeping arangements for the Regular garrison? Are we sleeping in barracks and if so, do we need to bring our own mattress ticks?

Thanks,
                Matt Wright
                Sure wish I'd seen this back when Matt wrote it. I might have actually gotten motivated to say something earlier :D

From one of the pre-event communications:

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,
                Mrs. Lawson has graciously offerred a run of bed ticks and pillows available for delivery at the Fort Moultrie 1859 Living History. If you are interested please contact her directly concerning it at thlawson@bellsouth.net to place your order and arrange payment. Listed below is the description and information concerning these items (I have a set and they are absolutely wonderful...)
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                For any garrison event, a bed tick is a useful item. It does not take up much space, and adds greatly to the comfort of the common soldier.

The U S Sanitary Commission gave specific directions for straw ticks in the USSC Bulletin, Vol. 1, Number 31:
                "Bedsack of burlap or ticking, 2 yards and 12 inches long; 40 inches wide. Sew all around. Cut opening in middle 27 inches long; close with three [3] buttons; put a stay at each end of opening and one under each button. Required, 3 knots linen thread.
                Pillow Sacks of ticking or crash: 16 inches wide, 30 inches long. Leave openings in middle of one end. Close with two buttons."

For this event, a combination set consisting of bedsack and pillowsack will be available for $45, delivered at the event site. Preorder is required and may be made by PAYPAL to thlawson@bellsouth.net

Mrs. Lawson will be using a variety of period tickings and crash for this project. While US Sanitary Commission markings are not necessarily appropriate for a pre-war event in this time and place, the mark is easily concealed. You may find it useful to have the USSC stamp on your bedding for other events. If you do NOT want a USSC stamp on your bedding, please specify when you order.

For other questions concerning this offer, please write Mrs. Lawson directly at thlawson@bellsouth.net Deadline for orders is May 15.
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Your obedient servant,
                Peter M. Berezuk Event Coordinator,
                1859 Fort Moultrie Living History 29-31 May 2009http://www.trampbrigade.com/Events/Moutlrie1858.htm
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Dang it all Mrs. L, you've got mail!
                  Rob Murray

Comment

ROB,

Does that mean you don't need my spare Bed Tick?
                    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Peter,

Given his height, he may need both

Seriously, this standard length produces a sack that is about 6' 8" --and that's because I tend to double seam the ends on these, so they can be used to carry all sorts of plunder.

What really surprised me is how little space they take up when folded.

I think I'll sew big red tassels to the corners of Rob's, so it will match his sleeping hat. I've still got some of that yarn around here somewhere.....
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Pete,

I'll have to ask Mrs. L. Though taken at face value, I would say not.
                        Rob Murray

Comment

Did someone say Peelers??

With only days leading down to the event, I'm pumped!!!

I haven't been this excited for an event in a loooooong time...Virginia/Maryland caravan is all registered...since that's 5 peoples, that means we're in 2 vehicles...should have space for at least 1 more body...

Paul B.
                          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          (Loblolly Mess)
                          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Hate I can't make this event. Sounds like a good time.
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

C'mom and register Galen. You know you want to. Its not like you don't have the civilian kit for this thing already......

Besides, I think Col. Bartsch made the Montgomery to Charleston run in less than 3 hours one time. I could be wrong though, as I was cowering in the back seat with my eyes closed for most of the ride:p
                              Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Fort Moultrie 1859 LH Registration Closes - 22 May 2009

My thanks to all for the good wishes and support for this event.

Registration closes on Friday 22 May, 2009. That leaves just two days for interested living historians to get registered. We will not allow any walk-ons, because all participants need to be on our NPS Roster for the event. Registration is available through our website at...

We currently have 31 living historians registered. Unfortunately all civilians roles are filled, but we are actively enlisting additional Federal Soldiers for the Fort Moultrie Garrison and can accept additional men for the South Carolina Militia.

Any questions about the event should be sent directly to me at pete.berezuk@gmail.com
                                Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 05-21-2009, 08:20 AM.
                                Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                                X