Retreat From Bentonville, June 5-7, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retreat From Bentonville, June 5-7, 2009

Hello all, I would like to put out to the AC community an event slated for June 5-7, 2009 named Retreat From Bentonville. This will be a full immersion event using the scenerio of the closing fighting and brief rearguard action at the Battle of Bentonville on March 19-21st, 1865. This will be a scripted "tacticle" much in the same form as BGR and ITPW. The event is taking place in Blanchardville, Wisconsin (Southwest Wisconsin).

This is an invitation only event hosted by Dan Chmelar and the Old Northwest Volunteers! For parties interested in an invitation contact myself, Dan Chmelar, at dan.chmelar@wartburg.edu.

The event website is http://oldnorthwestvols.org/Bentonville/index.html

Thanks
    Dan Chmelar
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: Retreat From Bentonville, June 5-7, 2009

Confederate registration is now at 15. Twenty is our initial Confederate cap until the Federal Company is filled.

Dan
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

Eureka - a part of the US that does not cost an arm and a leg to fly into from Idaho! Count me in among the Arkansas boys in support of comrade Eric.
      Last edited by DougCooper; 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Shoot! I thought it was the retreat from Bentonville, ARKANSAS! (March 6th, 1852)
        Thanks,
        Don Tolbert. GG Grandson of
        Sampson Walker, 10th Indiana Cav.
        [I]SERVICE. -- Elk River, Sulphur Branch Trestle, Richland Creek, Pulaski, Athens, Siege of Decatur, Siege of Murfreesboro, "The Cedars", Owen's Cross Roads, Battle of Nashville, Tenn., & Franklin - Captured on December 18, 1864 at Hollow Tree Gap. - Spent remainder of War at Camp Sumter (Andersonville).[/I]

Comment

There is ONE spot left in the initial Confederate registration. Plenty of room in our Federal Company left.

Here is our Confederate company so far.
          1) John Wickett
          2) Devin Miller
          3. Dan McGraw
          4. Andy Ackeret
          5. Jeremy Powel
          6. Terry Sorchy
          7. Eric Fair
          8. Don Mornin
          9. Steve LeBarre
          10. Rod Miller
          11. Greg Tipsword
          12. Tim Ruyle
          13. Bryne Peterson
          14. Timothy Wilson
          15. William Horn
          16. Rob Gobtop
          17. Dave Bushmole
          18. Justin Bowden
          19. Doug Cooper

If interested in an invitation contact myself at dan.chmelar@wartburg.edu
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

Confederate Registration is now full! Now lets fill that Federal Company!

Dan
            Dan Chmelar
            Semper Fi
            -ONV
            -WIG
            -CIR!

Comment

Dan,

I'm looking forward to putting on the gray for this one!

Seriously, folks, the event that Brian and I attended at Old World Wisconsin with the ONV back in 2007 was the best event I have attended in eleven years in this hobby. You could not ask for a better group of talented people to put on an event, and a nicer bunch of guys to attend one with. That event was also the first and only time I have attended an event where first person was maintained from 7AM Saturday morning until 2PM Sunday afternoon!

Best,
              Dan Wambaugh
              Wambaugh, White, & Company
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609
              Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Just a reminder......registration for Retreat From Bentonville closes a month from tomorrow. Our Confederate Company has already reached its cap, but there are still plenty of spots left for those interested in portraying dirty, ragged, Federal soldiers in the Carolina Campaign!!!!!

Dan
                Dan Chmelar
                Semper Fi
                -ONV
                -WIG
                -CIR!

Comment

Dan,

I'll get my registration in next week and I'm looking forward to putting out a 1865 fed impression.

Looking forward to an immersive blast,
                  Steve Acker

Comment

Dan Wambaugh and Brian White will be setting up before the event with their quality products so be sure to bring that cash that is burning a hole in your pockets!!!
                    Dan
                    Dan Chmelar
                    Semper Fi
                    -ONV
                    -WIG
                    -CIR!

Comment

Having missed IPW I am REALLY looking forward to this event. Nobody does firper like the ONV and friends. This will be as real as it gets at a Picket Post and the very late war scenario is a real treat.

The Yanks definitely won't be in their Sunday best
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

"The Confederates had little success delaying Sherman's army with gunfire, but they did slow the march somewhat through the use of other tactics. One practice was to fell trees across the roads.... another was to light fires using barrels of turpentine or pine trees to block the roads and scare the horses and mules as the air filled with pitch pine smoke [making] it almost unbearable to breathe...."

Glatthaar, The March to the Sea, 101, 108.

Do they have pine trees in Wisconsin? I'm certain the good folks in the Old North State will be greatly relieved. Hope you gents have an awesome event!

Rich Croxton
                        Last edited by Gallinipper; 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM.
                        Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Boys,
                          I am writing to you today to recruit you for Captain Gerow's company at Retreat From Bentoville. You can read all about the event at the link provided below. If you live in the midwest this is the event for you. Finally, we have a event where it is authentic in nature and we don't have to drive ten hours to get there. Register now! Please contact me or Dave Gerow if you are interested. Or simply fill out the registration information and send it in.

Dan Chmelar has put a lot of time and energy in this event.

Comment

Hi gents,

Just to echo Holler's comments for those in the Midwest, I think you will enjoy this immersion event and will be falling under a very fine officer in Dave Gerow. Come join us in the 21st Wisconsin! June is fine weather here in Wisconsin so do not be afraid of the nothern climate.

Tom
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

Hello All,
                              Friday afternoon Dave Gerow, Jason Reinholz, and myself had a very productive walk through at the site of RFB. Things are coming together very well and I think we were all in agreement the plans made will make for an exciting event for all!! Several things to think about for the event:

1. This event is not going to be one which will cover a HUGE amount of miles. After walking the route, it came to about 4-5 miles total. There are hills involved, but we're not talking Into the Piney Woods type hills!! If this was something holding you back from registering, it need not be. While everyone should be in shape for this event, it will not be a triathalon (sorry Skip!! ).

2. Everyone should make sure they have a spare pair of socks with them for the event.

3.Like the website says, people should try as much as possible to be on site and ready to step off at 10 pm. I realize some may have bigger trips than others and it may not be possible for some. If you plan on arriving later than 10 pm on Friday, please let myself as well as your company commander know ahead of time. If you arrive later than ten, please stay in the parking area. Every hour, a rider will be sent back to the parking area to lead those coming in late to the camping sites.

4. The nearest town with fast food will be Monroe, WI, which is thirty miles from the event site. If you are planning on getting to the event site then departing again to go eat, keep this in mind. The town of Blanchardville which is approximately five miles away does have a small dinner and several bars where bar type food is served.

5. Be prepaired for all night picket as well as patrols. There should be a full moon so it won't be Marmadukes where you can't see a person two feet in front of you!

More information will be coming soon.
                              Lets keep getting those Federal Registrations in!! We have less than a month before registration is closed!!

Dan
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Semper Fi
                              -ONV
                              -WIG
                              -CIR!

Comment

Working...
                              X