Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirmish at Unison, October 9-11, 2009

Hey All,
    Most of the guys in the cavalry already know about this event, but I wanted to put it out there for general consumption. I'll be gone for a week on vacation starting tomorrow, but will be happy to field any and all questions when I return.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    The Battle of Unison
    October 9-11, 2009
    Unison, VA

On behalf of the Valley Light Horse, and the 1st Maryland and 1st Maine Cavalry I would like to invite folks from the “history heavy” end of the hobby to a modest but high quality event this fall in Northern Virginia that will benefit historic preservation. The event will focus on episodes from the Battle of Unison that took place in early November, 1862. Participants will follow in the very footsteps of the original soldiers over largely pristine and beautiful countryside in an event that will provide a taste of a day in the life of the Civil War Soldiers.

Historical Scenario:
    This event will portray portions of the battle of Unison that occurred in early November 1862. Burnside’s army was on the march south to Fredericksburg and Confederate forces sought to block their advance through northern Virginia. The two sides clashed in and around the tiny hamlets of Philomont and Unison before moving on to other battle grounds. The battle pitted Union cavalry and infantry against Confederate cavalry an artillery.

Event Scenario:
    This event will be a mobile semi immersion event that will cover at least 8 miles over the course of two days. On Saturday Federal forces will advance from the village of Philomont to Unison, crossing an original ford that was used in the battle, and following in the footsteps of the actual soldiers from 1862. Confederate forces will advance from the village of Unison to meet the Federal forces and delay their advance.

Both sides will march and skirmish following the flow of the battle to the south side of Unison where they will halt for the night. Pickets will be posted and the event will remain “live” through Saturday night. On Sunday Federal forces will withdraw back to the village of Philomont while being harassed by Confederate forces.

General Information:
    This event is for those who take their impressions seriously and who strive to accurately portray history as it happened. The event is first and foremost geared to the authentic cavalry reenactor. The event site is the most horse friendly real estate east of the Mississippi River and is some of the most beautiful and history rich to be found anywhere.

Federal participants will march at least 8 miles over the course of the weekend, much of it on hard packed dirt roads that have a light coating of gravel in some places. Having your horse shod is an excellent idea if you are riding, and being in good shape with good footware is strongly recommended for the infantry.

We are looking for Federal and Confederate cavalry, Federal Infantry, and Confederate Artillery. In addition there will be some modest roles for civilians.

Contacts:
    Federal Cavalry and General Communication: Tom Craig, 1st Maine Cavalry
    tom.craig@ymail.com

Confederate Cavalry and Artillery: Todd Kearn, Valley Light Horse

Federal Infantry: Chris Anders, CVG

sgttodd@mainecav.org

Standards:
    Full and detailed standards will be posted on the event website. Standards will be strictly enforced.

Registration will open in the next few weeks. There will be no walk ons for this event. All proceeds from the event will go to historic preservation, particulary the CWPT and the Snickersville Turnpike Association.

There will be more info to follow, so keep watching the forums for more details, or contact me at: tom.craig@ymail.com
    Tom Craig

Re: Skirmish at Unison, October 9-11, 2009

Tom,
    I am looking forward to the event. Letme know if there is anything I can do from this end of the world .
    Jerry Ross
    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Hey All,

This event has kept a pretty low key profile, but it is still most definitely going on, and will be a great time. If you are in the cavalry on either side, you ought to be there. If you are in the Federal infantry, and would like to march 8-10 miles on original roads, you should be there too!

This event really is the premier event for cavalry just about anywhere in 2009. If you want to come, give a shout. If you need to rent a horse, those are available too. Stay tuned for more info.
      Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Unison website and registration

Hey All,
        Just a gentle reminder for all of you looking to attend Unison to go ahead and register with the form on the website:

We've got some great surprises planned and some excellent period activities for cavalry and Fed. infantry.

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Tom Craig

Comment

Tom-

I'm a latecomer to the news of this event... is there room for Confederate artillerymen still? I hardly ever get to play grey anymore... especially artillery.

I figured I still need to keep my skills on the piece in shape that I learned at The Citadel. :wink_smil

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Still working on the artillery. I'm in contact with Hardaway's Battery. They might need men for the gun crew.

John Sweeney

Comment

All,

Hardaway's is not going to be able to attend. However, there are a few other guns I might be able to conjole to attend.

John Sweeney

Comment

Horse drawn or static?
                Dave Myrick

Comment

It was going to be horsedrawn, but Kevin is still putting together a team. He should be up a running by next year. Scheduling conflict with work means he cannot attend until Saturday night, which misses the main fight.

I'm looking for one static gun to portray Pelham for Saturday's fight near the Quaker meeting house site.

John Sweeney

Comment

Just wanted to remind those that are interested to go to the 1st Maine's web site to download the registration for this event. We are hoping to build on the success we had with the Mosby at Welbourne event in the spring. For cavalry, we will once again be able to ride on some of the best ground anywhere and cover realsitic distances. For the ground pounders, a great opportunity to march and fight on original ground and hills. Download the registration and send it so we can get a head count and plan accordingly.
                    Rob Bruno
                    1st MD Cav
                    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Hello All,
                      Thanks to Todd Kern, Tom Craig , John Sweeney,Rob Bruno for working to make sure that Unison was a success! Our 12+ hour drive was well worth the event. Our horses and asses are sore from all the fighting . It has been a long time since I have fought and rode so hard all weekend long .The land in and around Unison is awesome! The land provided for all kinds of senarios and opportunities. The weather could not have been better, warm to cool and without rain .On the Confederate side many people came through out the weekend. Some could stay a little and some a lot. It made things change and evolve over the weekend in the gray column. I don't believe either side had planned on the intensity and duration of the fighting. I know at one point I was sitting behind a fence with six cartridges and waiting to see the whites of their eyes before firing. Later doing the same thing again while sitting behind a rock wall.I was worried about wasting ammo for over an hour. Many saber charges were made because of shortages of ammo. Again thanks fellas for all of your planning and work for this event.
                      Jerry Ross
                      Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                      Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Working...
                      X