Return to Allegheny-Special Event!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Allegheny-Special Event!

I was asked to post this for Richard Laska, our landowner at this past summer's Assaut on Allegheny Event. If we have any takers on this, I need to hear from you a.s.a.p.

“Frozen Hell on Top of Allegheny -- December 12-13 2009.”
    We would like your opinion on the idea of gathering a small group (about 50) hard corps troops at Camp Allegheny on the 148th anniversary of the Battle of Allegheny. That’s right. Mid-December on a 4,200-foot ridge in West Virginia. Want to be a part of this wacko idea?

Our goal is to create both a video and a greater appreciation of the real experience of Civil War troops that cruel winter. We don’t want a large number of participants. This is a small-scale survival thing, not a typical shoot-em-up.

And it must be done this year -- the battlefield’s pristine environment may not exist much longer. If nearby construction continues, more than a dozen 400-foot industrial wind turbines will line almost a third of the horizon, and noise from the blades will interfere with sound recording.

If we lose the brooding, silent and remote nature of the battlefield, it just won’t be the same.

The battle on that ridge was intense, but we want to capture the misery, drudgery and boredom between the adrenaline surges of war. Conversations between soldiers who are wet and uncomfortable. Thirsty. Cold. Tired. Video of soldiers who look sick, both physically and emotionally. Trying to boil water for coffee on a cold windy day. Guys who wish they were anywhere but where they are.

We want to honor those who struggled through that dreadful winter here by showing a little of what their life was really like. How their endurance influenced the course of American history.

Nobody has tried to show Civil War life under winter conditions on Camp Allegheny. Nobody. Because it was too tough. Our dream is to produce a video showing the commitment, determination and triumph of pigheaded human willpower over the forces of nature and logic.

If we are lucky, the weekend of Dec 12 and 13 will produce lousy weather. Horrible conditions That would be perfect. Miserable, but perfect.

After the work is done, Rich and Marcia Laska have offered to let participants sleep in their cabins and heated shop. Unless, of course, you want to brave a winter night on Top of Allegheny...

It will take soldiers who really know their Civil War character. Each participant an actual Camp Allegheny soldier. It could be some awesome material. A unique way to inform the public about our history.

The fact that we have only one month to pull this off is a blessing. No wise person would try to do this if he had time to think about it.

Who wants in? Can somebody bring the right tents? We will want folks to bring uniforms, or passables, for both sides of the fight. Most of the shooting (video and otherwise) will happen on the land we used for the reenactment last summer -- the actual battlefield is too vulnerable to march on.
    How reenactors respond, in the next week or so, will what we can do on the 12th and 13th. If folks volunteer the time spirit and resources, we can have the plan ready to go by Dec. 1. If not, no big deal. .

And, we’re asking participants to pay whatever they can for the privilege of being miserable. To cover at least soe of our for expenses -- video, supplies, insurance and so on.

Holding a reenactment of soldiers’ life in horrible conditions similar to the original Allegheny campaign? That’s wild. It will get a lot of attention.
    One final note, we have permission from the landowner to take a “class photo” near the battlefield proper, and a Civil War publication has asked for such a photograph.

With regards,
    Rich and Marcia Laska
    "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Re: Return to Allegheny-Special Event!

Count me in for this project. Sounds horrible, potentially miserable, and altogether something worthwhile. Thanks.
    William Birney
    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

I am stupid enough to give it a go! only catch for me is I'm a restaurant manager and working weekends is part of the gig. I'm currently on route with mr birney to bummers and am taking 5 days off for this. If I can take off I'm there hands down! I can portray a federal but I do not have a suitable early war cornfed impression.
      Bob Martin
      Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
      Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
      sigpic

Comment

Civilian, of course, and can't reenact, but please let me know if there's anything I can do from here in the way of planning or logistics. Some of the folks who froze down there were relatives and neighbors long before my time, and I'd like to help honor their memories.
        Becky Morgan

Comment

I'm game.
          This could be fun.
          Regards,
          John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Bob,

Sent you a PM.
            Brandon Sollars

Comment

I'm sorry I missed something...

Did you say the Landowner from the previous Allegheney Event this summer has asked that this event happen? What if it rains? What if it snows? What if there's a perceived serious risk to human health (as with this summer's event)?

While it sounds like an awesome oppurtunity, exuse me for my skeptism after driving the 5-6 hours to this Summer's Event, only to have it cancelled mid-event due to weather...and then be faced with the late drive over the Mountain for somewhere to sleep.

If the same folks determining what is/is not achievable for this event are involved and in a time of the year where there's sure to be no poor showing on part of drastic weather changes, then count me out. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Paul B.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,

With all due respect Paul, but if that's the way you feel, you don't have to attend. But you needn't also plant the idea in other people's minds that we will cancel the event prematurely, without knowing all the details.

I'm asking everyone who is interested to please see the message posted below.

Regarding any possibility of ill-weather; and the possibility is significant, we have made provisions. But in general, it will be much smaller and therefore we can shelter everyone if need be. This is not a reenactment, per se, but a filming.

Bob D.

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                I'm sorry I missed something...

Did you say the Landowner from the previous Allegheney Event this summer has asked that this event happen? What if it rains? What if it snows? What if there's a perceived serious risk to human health (as with this summer's event)?

While it sounds like an awesome oppurtunity, exuse me for my skeptism after driving the 5-6 hours to this Summer's Event, only to have it cancelled mid-event due to weather...and then be faced with the late drive over the Mountain for somewhere to sleep.

If the same folks determining what is/is not achievable for this event are involved and in a time of the year where there's sure to be no poor showing on part of drastic weather changes, then count me out. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Paul B.
                Last edited by BobDenton37thVA; 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM.
                "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Comment

Any folks interested in making this happen, should please send an email directly to Rich Laska at:
                  rmlaska@gmail.com

Thanks,
                  Bob D.

George Carlin

Comment

Re: 150th of Allegheny Mountain today.

"Whilst we have abundant cause to thank God for this victory, let us not forget the gallant dead who fell by our sides, and whom we buried on Allegheny. Remember their gallantry, and emulate their example."
                    – Col. Edward Johnson, December 16, 1861
                    Jason C. Spellman
                    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                    X