Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Impression

Bob:

Any word on which regiment the Federals will portray at the event? I checked the event web site and saw the info on the Confederates, but haven't seen any specifics on Federals. We are very interested in attending and like to put together information prior to the event for first person. Thanks!
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Federal Impression

Assult on Allegheny is looking like a great event. I also plan to do federal. Any information on the regiment portrayed or first person information would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

Is there any news on this subject?
      James Duffney
      61st NY
      Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Eric, and all,

Scot Buffington has already suggested a target portrayal for the event. I'll have him post the information as soon as it is formalized.

Regards,
        Bob D.
        "If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders."

George Carlin

Comment

Excellent Bob. Thanks. Looking forward to the event.
          ERIC TIPTON
          Former AC Owner

Comment

I have done some reading on the Battle of Camp Allegheny, and the only Federal units that I have heard in any of the accounts are the 25th and 32nd Ohio, and the 9th and 13th Indiana. An OR from the Col. of the 25th can be found Here: http://www.wvculture.org/HiStory/civ...ountain03.html

The only unit I am familier with is the 9th. They were photographed later in the war, but because this event is still "Early War" those photographes are probably irrelevent.
            Last edited by Duff; 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM.
            James Duffney
            61st NY
            Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Eric et al,

It was announced on the other forum that we will portray the 9th Indiana.

The discussion can be found here: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14034
              James Duffney
              61st NY
              Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

That's good news Duff. I'm planning to come out and will see if I can get some of the GHTI to come as well. The Indiana connection is a great incentive.
                Paul Calloway
                Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                Proud Member of the GHTI
                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Question on the Federal Uniform Regs:
                  There is a lot of info on the site: http://pslcampaign.ning.com/page/ass...heny-federal-1

However, it is hard to discern what is "perferred" versus "accepted" or "allowed". For someone trying to meet the "ideal impression" for this event, what is the guidance/order of preference?

Of particular interest:
                  1) Coat (Sack, Frock, or Jacket?)
                  2) Hat (Cap or Hardee hat?)
                  3) Accoutrements - In particular, what sort of scabbard is preferred for the Enfield? "No Rivet" US or the Brit pattern?

Thanks!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
                    I have done some reading on the Battle of Camp Allegheny, and the only Federal units that I have heard in any of the accounts are the 25th and 32nd Ohio, and the 9th and 13th Indiana.
                    I also have been doing extensive research more particularly on the Confederate impression, 31st Virginia Regiment. However, this event requires a general knowledge of the battles, regiments involved, land, etc.

You've forgotten the 2d Virginia Regiment which totally caught me off guard because a Wheeling, W.Va. soldier kept referring to its involved from the Federal point-of-view. Interestingly enough, two 2d Regiments of Virginia Infantry were at Allegheny Mountain, both in the in U.S. and C.S.A. armies and had engaged each other.

If you are portraying the 2d (U.S.), my source has said that they were well-uniformed.

Yours in friendly research,
                    Jason C. Spellman
                    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Bumping up my question. Thanks!
                      Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                      There is a lot of info on the site: http://pslcampaign.ning.com/page/ass...heny-federal-1

However, it is hard to discern what is "perferred" versus "accepted" or "allowed". For someone trying to meet the "ideal impression" for this event, what is the guidance/order of preference?

Of particular interest:
                      3) Accoutrements - In particular, what sort of scabbard is preferred for the Enfield? "No Rivet" US or the Brit pattern?

Thanks!
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

For you Federals, there's a nice descriptive account by Indiana soldier, David Steveson, in Indiana's Roll of Honor on the action on Allegheny Mountain. I'd highly suggest taking the time to read it. The West Virginia Archives and History has it posted here:

Sláinte!
                        Jason C. Spellman
                        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post

Of particular interest:

Thanks!
                          I would like to know the answer to this as well. Re-bump.
                          James Duffney
                          61st NY
                          Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Unfortunately the communication just hasn't been there for this event. I've reconsidered.
                            Paul Calloway
                            Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                            Proud Member of the GHTI
                            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                            Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

There's a photograph of soldiers of the 12th Indiana in 1861 at:

This shows the men in both frocks and sack coats with light blue trousers.

There's an illustration of the 9th Indiana a year later at:

This shows the men in sack coats with pale trousers.

My reading of the event regs -- which appear to cobble together advice from a couple of sources, which might explain the confusion -- indicates that the organizers prefer sack coats, will accept frock coats or state jackets but not later U.S. uniform jackets, want light blue trousers on the enlisted men, and either forage caps or slouch hats (uniform or civilian, the latter preferably black).

That mix would seem appropriate and easy enough to figure out. The only thing I would take exception to is the preference for issue shirts since I don't believe the government was able to get enough of these out in '61 to meet the demand. But that's just my opinion.

What is it that folks find confusing?
                              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                              X