Something to think on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to think on!

This is a quote for all of my Firey Federal comrades who have "taken up the torch" for Bummers.

From the letters of William W. Pendergast of Minnesota in regards to foraging in Georgia:

"If any one fails to live well it may be attributed to his own laziness."

I got this one while reading "Southern Storm" by N.A. Trudeau, who got that from the Pendergast Family Papers from the Minnesota Historical Soceity.

Merry Christmas all.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

From Sam Watkin's "Company Aytch" descibing the Georgia Militia who at the time were attached to Hood's army. Take a look at pages 184 and 185.

I especially like this line: "A few had double barreled shot guns, but a majority had umbrellas and walking sticks."

A classic Civil War memoir, Co. Aytch is the work of a natural storyteller who balances the horror of war with an irrepressible sense of humor and a sharp eye for the lighter side of battle. It is a testament to one man’s enduring humanity, courage, and wisdom in the midst of death and destruction.Early in May 1861, twenty-one-year-old Sam R. Watkins of Columbia, Tennessee, joined the First Tennessee Regiment, Company H, to fight for the Confederacy. Of the 120 original recruits in his company, Watkins was one of only seven to survive every one of its battles, from Shiloh to Nashville. Twenty years later, with a “house full of young ‘rebels’ clustering around my knees and bumping about my elbows,” he wrote this remarkable account—a memoir of a humble soldier fighting in the American Civil War, replete with tales of the common foot soldiers, commanders, Yankee enemies, victories, defeats, and the South’s ultimate surrender on April 26, 1865.

These two pages are a fun read. We all know Watkins embellished it up a little in his book, but the descriptions in regards to the Georgia Militia are quite good.

~Herb Coats
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Re: Something to think on!

For those inclined to go as Georgia Milita, here is an amusing instance in regards to an "older" gent in the ranks:

"Sam Griswold (grandson of the pistol maker) had this to say of his milita comrades. "Uncle Mem" Williams had posed an important question before the battle opened." This is in regards to the fight at Ft. Hawkins in East Macon, Ga. "What should an old man so crippled with rheumatism that he would not be able to run?" The officer in charge replied "Why we want those who can't run."

Oh the glory of being one of Gov. Brown's "Pets".
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

If the event placed an age limit on the Union enlistees, the militia's ranks would swell.

Just sayin',
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Herb, that is good stuff. Ah History...
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
            If the event placed an age limit on the Union enlistees, the militia's ranks would swell.

Just sayin',
            I like where your head's at.
            [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
            [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
            [/FONT]

Comment

[QUOTE=Coatsy;139643]For those inclined to go as Georgia Milita, here is an amusing instance in regards to an "older" gent in the ranks:

"Sam Griswold (grandson of the pistol maker) had this to say of his milita comrades. "Uncle Mem" Williams had posed an important question before the battle opened." This is in regards to the fight at Ft. Hawkins in East Macon, Ga. "What should an old man so crippled with rheumatism that he would not be able to run?" The officer in charge replied "Why we want those who can't run." [QUOTE]

I've found my first person impression for Bummers! Just call me Uncle Mem!
              Last edited by Mcguire; 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM.
              David Parent

The Cracker Mess
              MLK Mess
              Black Hat Boys
              WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Also think about this one for the federals....Uncle Billy was having his men arrested for waistin ammo. 40 rounds is all the bummers need!
                Kiev Thomason
                a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                WIG
                Armory Guards
                Forest Park Lodge #399
                Forest Park GA.

Comment

Please excuse my extreme Farbiness! I forgot to cite the book where I got my last quote.

It is from Griswoldsville by William H. Bragg

And here is yet another good quote.

"After discharging the old men and cripples I had a good brigade as was in the army, as its record will show."

From Brigadier Charles D. Anderson of the Georiga Militia in regards to his brigade after the actions at Griswoldsville, Honey Hill, and Savannah.

This is also found in Griswoldsville by William Bragg.

Ah! A new perspective on Joe Brown's Pets.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Hah, I'm reading Griswoldville right now as well. I do second the recommendation on catching a glimpse of this under-rated fight. It's a quick read as well.
                    Preston Todd
                    Hard Case Boys
                    Top Rail Mess

Comment

Scaife, Davis, and Trudeau's books, plus the myriad of letter/jorunals seem to have one thing in common when it comes to what type of food that the Foraging Parties found.

Does anyone want to guess what that type of food is? I know the answer... Do you?
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Was it cotton?
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Swine, sweet potatoes, and peanuts come to mind. I think Hitchcock mentions a couple of farms where soldiers found the peanut harvest drying on the roofs of outbuildings and simply scooped/pushed down the peanuts to bring them back into the Union.
                          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                            Does anyone want to guess what that type of food is?
                            Alive?

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@voyager.net
                            Hank Trent

Comment

Its soylent green!
                              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                              X