Shotguns and Country Rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotguns and Country Rifles

I have added a new album of images to my Living History Worldwide web page to assist research and equipping for Bummers '09 and the upcoming 150th events titled, "CS Shotguns, Country Rifles, Accessories & Hunters":

I appreciate your comments, and additions that you would propose. Let's see how long it takes for some sharp eye to locate the anachronism. Since I cannot post documents there (or on AC), my offer stands to send a copy of my short article "Secesh Shotguns" to those who send me a private email:

dstieghan@mchsi.com

Dave Stieghan
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Re: Shotguns and Country Rifles

Gents:

I am producing a limited run of bayonets for double barrel shot guns copied from an original that I collected in 1978. Contact me off list if you are interested. Even if I provide the materials, they retail for under $100.00. If you plan to carry a shot gun for either Bummers or any early war event, this unique item is for you! By the way, they also may be fixed to a .69" or turned country rifle barrel with very little adjustment.

Dave Stieghan
    "Deth to them Foragers!"
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

Fort Benning, Georgia

Comment

For those who are carrying country rifles or want to know a little about how to care for muzzleloaders in the field the original way, a 2 1/2 page article entitled, "Rebel Country Rifles," is available to those who send me a PM. While it does not include turning the muzzle for a socket bayonet and other forgotten chores, it does include how to load, clean and remove rust from iron weapons with what our forebears would have had around their cabin or camp. For illustrations, you can see my album on this website or go to my album on shotguns and country rifles on Living History Worldwide to see many more. The bayonets for shotguns and rifles are still available.

Dave
      dstieghan@mchsi.com
      David Stieghan
      aka, DBAR1918

Fort Benning, Georgia

Comment

Though the title of the series is, "Modern Snipers", the producers for these Discovery Military Channel programs decided that they wanted some historic perspective. This will be my eighteenth (or more) program appearance on the channel in the past four years. Since I'm including 18th and 19th Century topics (and weapons), some on this thread may be interested. The premier is 1 December 2009. This is not The History Channel (I was on three programs there last year), so many of you don't have the channel, yet. Among the weapons fired is my Henry if you want to see one fired live.

Dave Stieghan
        Yanks, I'll see you first at Bummers!
        David Stieghan
        aka, DBAR1918

Fort Benning, Georgia

Comment

First of all, there is no longer a person known as "Dr. Aryeh Nussbacher" and it is now impossible to kick him in the junk. Last year, he showed up for the beginning of the Fall term at Sandhurst as "Mrs." following a sex change (as "Dr. Lynette Nussbacher ") Besides the Queen, no more was more surprised than his wife and nine year old daughter! He was immediately reassigned away from instructing officer cadets and is no longer the flaming sensationalist for any Arts & Entertainment production (they own ALL of those channels, don't you know). None of the producers or directrors that I worked with on the Top Ten and the two Weaponology series are still with Flashback Television in the UK, so I can't ask them if they'll ever use him again.

I don't recall seeing a primary source on how to keep a load from shifting in a muzzleloading weapon while galloping on horseback. That said, you will note that the US Armories tried placing ramrod swivels or chains attached to muzzles to prevent the loss of the rod. This is not just because they could be dropped when loading while mounted, but could vibrate loose from the friction of the upper muzzle band and/or the ramrod spoon. Retaining the undersized load of buck and ball or buckshot in the cartridge paper helps of course, especially if one dips the ball end of the paper cartridge in melted wax. This helps to seal the load from moisture rising from dew, or a splashing ford, and adds needed friction to help keep a seated projectile from moderate jarring and a "load shift". That said, you should always re-ram a muzzleloading weapon after jossling it in a vertical or upside-down fashion to ensure that the load is seating firmly on top of the powder to prevent a dangerous air gap.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. I'll keep my eyes open.

Dave Stieghan
          David Stieghan
          aka, DBAR1918

Fort Benning, Georgia

Comment

Working...
          X