Into the Piney Woods Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into the Piney Woods Impressions

Holler, Thanks for the above link. There is some nice reading material in there and Christmas is coming.
    Rob Murray

Comment

Rob,

There is some good info out there. The Reverend Doctor Harrison Holloway is presently getting some things rounded up. Perhaps he can chime in here with a few tidbits.

The website is being put together presently and once that is up and running we'll have additional information on there too.

Hope this helps a wee bit.
      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

As I know there are thousands following updates to Into the Piney Woods on an hourly fashion, I wanted to offer a quick update.

We are altering the Federal impression from the 22nd Iowa to the 24th Iowa. The 24th was known as "the temperance regiment," through according to one junior officer within the unit, that commitment was not always followed to the T-
        Jan 1864
        "The boys had managed to get some liquor during the evening & quite a number of them got onto a regular spree. It was Christmas night & I let the Boys have their own way & they made a good deal of music. One of them John Pitman [of Tipton] talked very abusively about me at any other time I would not have stood it a moment but considering that it was Christmas night & a good many of the Boys were on a spree I thought I would let him have his say if it gave him any satisfaction. I am more than ever disgusted with drunkenness & there is no denying that there is too much of it in the army & that it is on the increase. When we are on a campaign the men can not get it, but when we are near the city a great many of them will have it & some will get drunk, My Boys have spent a big pile of money since we were paid off. "

With this tidbit in hand, I suspect many will go on a "spree" of their own.

I ask only that you save a pint of hard spirits for further announcements, such as the unveiling of the Into the Piney Woods website, which shall come in the near future.

Kind regards,
        Fred Baker

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
          Yes. The 22nd was well documented. Seven of the ten companies we recruited out of Iowa City/Johnson County.(This just happens to be my hometown) With the University of Iowa and the State Historical Society located in town the number of resources are endless. I am going December 15th to do some research.

As far as books. Try Camp Pope Bookstore.

It is an online bookstore devoted to the Trans-Mississippi. Just so it happens to be located right here in Iowa City. Clark is a good guy and he will help you with whatever you need. Camp Pope Bookstore is named after the training camp of the 22nd here in Iowa City. There is a marker, placed in 1926 to dedicate the spot. The City High football team played games there until roughly the
          1940's, the soccer team plays there now and Longfellow school is now located on the site.

We have been waiting a LONG TIME to portray the 22nd and to finally portray an Iowa regiment. Nothing against the Hoosiers, Badgers, Suckers and Buckeyes but we Hawkeyes seem to get the major shaft when it comes to reenactments.
          A very proud Hawkeye!
          There are in fact 3 full length books on the 22nd, but as Holler discovered and Fred states below, they were very active on the back half of the Red River Campaign (suffering several dead and wounded in skirmishes) but did not join the brigade until after Pleasant Hill. Fox's Fighting 300 Regiments seems to indicate these casualties took place before Mansfield, but instead it was after.

So, as Fred says, we are switching to another regiment, the 24th Iowa. According to the owner of Camp Pope, there are no full length regimental histories of the 24th Iowa, but Holler and friends are all over the considerable info available in local historical societies, state archives, etc, including diaries. Kind of neat to see this much interest and hard work so far out...but the Hairy Nation Boys are thorough!

If anyone ordered a 22nd Iowa book from Camp Pope book shop to prepare (like I did) you can return them no questions asked for a refund, as "long as I can still sell them" says the proprietor, a good man and expert on the Hawkeyes.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I'm sure my Hawkeye pards will be pulling information out of the woodwork. Here is a little prime for the pump.

sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I ran across this today while rummaging through google books : Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of the Rebellion. This link takes you to the section devoted to the 24th Iowa. Should the link change - because we are talking about the internet - look for volume three and start at page 781.

This event is pretty far away, but as we get closer, someone folks will want to do some digging on a history of the Union impression.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

We, here in Iowa are currently working on the research. We went to the State Historical Society of Iowa two weeks ago and I am sorry to say they do not have much on the 24th. The 24th did not have people(that was published) submit their diaries or any other kinds of research. We do have a 24th Iowa gorup here in Iowa (not an authentic based group) but they do have some information that could be helpful. We have found wherer each company was raised and some of the towns/townships they came from.

We plan on going again soon to look at the Iowa City newspaper and Cedar Rapids.

Silas that is a good source. Thank you! We looked at that at the State Building.
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Any idea what type of uniform regs we're looking at? Frock coat? Hardee Hat?

I already ordered by Iowa badge from Wendy Osman. How about you?
                  Robert Carter
                  69th NYSV, Co. A
                  justrobnj@gmail.com
                  www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Here is just a sample of the guidelines:
                    24th Iowa
                    Sack Coat
                    Dress Hat
                    Springfields '61.

Is the badge pewter? I would like to see what they look like.

More information to come.
                    Nathan Hellwig
                    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

If they look good Holler, count me in for one also. Maybe we can get enough for a bulk order, or at least cut the shipping cost.

I'm just ready to get into those piney woods again!!

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
                      Here is just a sample of the guidelines:
                      24th Iowa
                      Sack Coat
                      Dress Hat
                      Springfields '61.

Is the badge pewter? I would like to see what they look like.

More information to come.
                      sigpic
                      Grandad Wm. David Lee
                      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                      - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm just ready to get into those piney woods again!!
                        That is one of the few times I will ever hear that statement about that forest. Now that I live near it in Natchitoches I hear lots of negative things about it. I, personally, cannot wait for the event.
                        [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                        Independent Rifles
                        Swamp Angels
                        Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Wasn't it about a year ago that we were there? I too am very excited to get back. It is amazing that going on 18 years of reenacting THAT event was by far the best I have ever attended. I thought Wilson's Creek '91(My first big event) Raymond '98, and Athens '05 was good but wow!

From that event I met a group of boys that I will never forget:
                          Little Mac, Boozie, Goose, Gobtop, Tim Arnold, Preston, Troy Groves, Native, Bogert, the list goes on.

My days may be numbered in this "hobby" but I do know one thing... I will NOT miss next year!
                          Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Good thoughts Reverend Holler.

We are now just under a calendar year until we'll all be tucked into the tall pines southwest of Natchitoches in scenic Kisatchie National Forest. If you made the last one, we'd love to have you back. If you missed out on the first go-around, we'd love to have you give 'er a whirl. Support from lads on the Left Coast and from the UK and other distant lands is swelling. A goodly crop from closer by would be stout as well.

Kind regards,
                            Fred Baker

Comment

Kicking one's own backside for years is painful. Best avoid all that by clearing your schedule now and joining us. BGR was the best in my 20 years in the hobby...but Baker and Yearby have a way of raising the bar. This will be no exception.

The Iowa badges were from a type produced for most all the western states. I have seen an original Illinois badge (Ill.) and they are pretty cool. All but Iowa were an abbreviation (Ind., Minn., etc). I honestly can't remember if it was silver or pewter or perhaps nickle. No telling if the 24th wore them in the RR, but they certainly existed. The Osman's did the research before they reproduced them.
                              Last edited by DougCooper; 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

What will the uniform requirements be for the 28th Louisiana?
                                Will we have the opportunity chose Federal or Confederate? or after we register will we be told which unit to prepare for?
                                I, along with my son are looking foward to participate in a well rounded event.
                                Last edited by Parault; 03-12-2008, 08:25 PM.
                                [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X