Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Manassas

Gents,

For those who have enjoyed Summer of 62, September Storm and At High Tide, the next installment will be "Return to Manassas" the last weekend of August 2010.

This event will feature some excellent land, even a rail road cut. A real one! We are working hard to take in all the experience of the past and move forward.

Looks like the scenarios will involve the Assualt on the Rail Road Cut, Chinn Ridge and we are still looking at what fight will fit best the land and the timing for the dusk fight.

I have been out of circulation for a bit, life has changed a wee bit, but its time to move this thing on.

I hope to see many of my friends, blue, gray east and west there, and to put on another event worthy of your attendance.

More information will be out in a while, and have a great New Year.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Re: Return to Manassas

Chris,

Five of us Ground Hornets trekked out for AHT this summer and had a fine, fine time.

A good number of fellows we soldiered with are coming down for Into the Piney Woods and we are glad to have them.

Return to Manassas sounds stout. Hope to make it out there.

Cordially,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like a cool event!!!!!! I too, hope to make it out to this event.

Andrew
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Another Brawner's Farm scenario would be excellent. It was the single most amazing living history experience I have ever taken part in. Definitely looking forward to coming up for this one.

Ryan Alcaino

Comment

A dusk fight?

Brawner's Farm....depending on terrain you could go man for man and portray a specific area of the battle....19th IN pushed back on the left, 7th WVI pivot and counterattack.....Easterner's fill the gap....6th WVI levels the playing field from a swale....etc.

Federal Rear Guard Action
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
            Gents,

For those who have enjoyed Summer of 62, September Storm and At High Tide, the next installment will be "Return to Manassas" the last weekend of August 2010.

This event will feature some excellent land, even a rail road cut. A real one! We are working hard to take in all the experience of the past and move forward.

Looks like the scenarios will involve the Assualt on the Rail Road Cut, Chinn Ridge and we are still looking at what fight will fit best the land and the timing for the dusk fight.

Pards,
            Hey Chris,

Happy New Year to you! In light of the discussion us cav folks are having about getting involved in events, and creating cavalry opportunities at events, I ask that you please keep us in the loop as you develop ideas/scenarios! I know I want to help make the event the best that I can for my guys, and anyone else involved. 2nd Manassas wasn't a cavalry battle, but there certainly are some good opportunities to include cavalry in scenarios.

Take care,
            Tom Craig
            1st Maine Cavalry
            Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,

Love to have you run with the mounted portion....will do all I can to facilitate anything you need...you just tell me.

Drop me an email when you get a chance...lots to discuss!

Pards,
              S. Chris Anders

Comment

RJ,

We did the Dusk Fight at Brawners at the Summer of '62 event...it was amazing, I almost cried.

Not a big one to repeat scenarios, but I think this is a real possibility.

We now have 3 original period barns being re-constructed on site, and the landowners are working hard to finish up stone walls, period fencing and in general do all they can to make the site all it can be.

I feel very lucky working with these folks.

Pards,
                S. Chris Anders

Comment

Seriously Chris, you should definitely consider Brawner's Farm again. It doesn't have to be as large scale as '62 was, (brigade vs. brigade) but its the only dusk scenario for the 2nd Mannassas campaign I can think of. It was so awesome back in 2005, especially since the drizzle came down and kept all the smoke low to the ground in our faces. The only time I've ever felt the so-called "choking" haze of battle.

And since you're doing the railroad cut fight again . . . well? I just want an excuse to do Iron Brigade again.

Ryan Alcaino

Comment

Ok, talked me into it!

Working with a ton of maps...will have a few trips lined up this year to go to the actual ground.

Anyone who wants to join in let me know!

Pards,
                    S. Chris Anders

Comment

Wow, a chance to attack Jackson's line in the railroad cut? I'm there! - I just hope that General Pope isn't. :tounge_sm
                      Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
                      Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                      Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
                      <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
                      <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

I have been hearing talk of modern day firefighters protraying the Fire Zouaves at Manassas. The unit will be strictly firefighters from all over. I hope this makes. I will be in the numbers if it does.
                        [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

I had much fun at High Tide last year... a nice "compromise" event to see friends that I rarely get to see.

I'll try to be there... Johnny Lloyd :wink_smil
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

As usual General You have my vote. Do I need to shanghi Skip and dye his beard?
                            Chris Fisher
                            [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                            1st NY Mounted Rifles
                            Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                            [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Wow Chris, your 2nd Manassas sounds like it will be the best! I have spent many hours on the original battlefield since I was eight years old. I grew up about twelve miles east. The Deep Cut is one of those special battles indeed. Let's just keep the rock throwing to a minimum shall we? Keep up the good work and I will anticipate follow up information on the event. Do you have a website for it yet?

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.

Comment

Working...
                              X