Re: Return to Manassas

Anything new on this?
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

There was a site visit several weeks ago and there will probably be more discussion and planning at the 150th meeting at Gettysburg this coming weekend.

The Federal staff is just getting organized. Kevin Air is the commander and someone named "Schnapps" agreed to serve as AAG.

I will happily entertain any questions or comments directed toward the latter, though my response time will be kind of spotty till after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for asking.
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Are there any additional event details, webpage, etc for this event? Some of us SCAR guys are considering the event and crossing the big scary mountains.

Jim Butler
        SCAR www.scarreenactors.com
        Jim Butler

Comment

Lt. Bevard and Monsieur Butler. The Potomac Legion has voted to support a campaigner adjunct being put together by Joe Caridi and myself. Lots to do before we can make an official announcement. We're also trying to guage interest so as to figure out logistics. Joe Bordonaro and I have received permission from Mr. Anders to portray a single unit through the course of the weekend. We may do just that. Rations and research will be done by Caridi. Logistics by me. This is my very first attempt at organizing anything, and any support would be appreciated. Thanks. Bill B.
          William Birney
          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Bill,

The Sally Port Mess has been talking about going to this one if we knew there was a quality company. Will this be a Federal company?
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

It will indeed be a Federal company. Probably one of the New York regiments that was torn apart on Chinn Ridge. Our theory is that, since we portrayed westerners last year at At High Tide, we'll portray eastern boys this time around. We're aiming for more than a company, but it depends on the interest that's out there. A battalion is possible for Joe, Joe, and I to supply. Before anyone asks, Joe Caridi, Joe Bordonaro, nor myself intend to command anything. That, too, is in discussion. One of the three Sicilian-Cecilian brothers will try to get an official announcement out very soon. Thanks.
              William Birney
              Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."

Comment

I am putting it on my schedule. I will see what I can pull from Michigan.
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Enjoyed the other events..hope to make this one, and looking for details to present to the boys...

Pete Bedrossian
                  150th NY/3rd NC
                  [FONT="Georgia"]
                  Pete Bedrossian
                  150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
                  [/FONT
                  ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR View Post
                    Are there any additional event details, webpage, etc for this event?
                    Website will be going live soon at http://www.returntomanassas.com
                    Paul Boccadoro
                    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Friends,
                      The Potomac Legion voted to support the "Return to Manassas" event at our meeting on Sunday. We anticipate creating a campaigner adjunct and have gotten approval from Chris Anders and Kevin Aire to do so. I will be posting additional information as plans firm up. Right now I can tell you that we will be portraying a Federal unit. We will have our own campsites. We will be marching. We will issue our own rations. We will be supplying our own firewood, in the form of rail fences put together on site ahead of time. Bill Birney and Joe Caridi of the Columbia Rifles will be coordinating recruiting, rations, and firewood. In short we'll be doing things as correctly as possible. If you're interested in joining forces with us please contact Bill at twbirney@aol.com
                      -Joe Bordonaro
                      Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Gentlemen. Thank you for the show of support thus far. I've gotten numerous emails requesting information. Joe let the fence rail cat out of the bag, but that's alright. I've got about fifty hand split fence rails, split by me, to be increased to at least seventy five this spring for firewood. Water will also be provided in a fashion I've discussed with my former teacher Charles Heath. Logistics mean a lot to me after that old man's influence. As a nod to my Southern comrades, if it's a choice between Outpost and this, choose Outpost. For those of you who can make it, I'll do everything I can to make it worthwhile. More info will be available in a few weeks. Incidentally, any email requests will be answered very promptly as my phone gives automatic email notifications. It was both pleasing and annoying to hear the phone go off every so often. Feel free to annoy me some more. It's satisfying. Thanks.
                        William Birney
                        Columbia Rifles

Comment

Do you guys have, or can you reccommend a good reading list for this event?
                          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

"Return to Bull Run" by Hennessy would be my recommendation.

Regards,
                            Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred..Thanks for the heads up...I will check that one out
                              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

PeePee. That's Joe C.'s department, but I'll be throwing my hand in to help him out when not splitting rails, visiting the site, recruiting, or experimenting with water distribution. My focus will be on literature that will increase our knowledge of the communities the boys we'll be portraying came from. Knowledge of what happened during the campaign is of limited use to the private in the ranks. I'd prefer to see guys reading about the history of the men they'll portray as opposed to the strictly military history of a few days in August 1862. I'm rained out of work today, so I'll be hitting the library and amazon pretty heavy. Anyone know a source for nineteenth century water pumps? Oh, and our impression, tentatively approved by Mr. Anders and Air, will be 26th New York.
                                William Birney
                                Columbia Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X