X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘150th Cycle' Event Plans Underway

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

150thcycle@gmail.com

WINCHESTER, Va. – Twenty-nine interested parties gathered Aug. 23 for a second discussion on the proposed 150th Cycle of Civil War events.

The meeting was a follow-up to a March 21 conference coordinated by S. Chris Anders of the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard and attended by hobby leaders representing over 1,700 troops from New England to Ohio to North Carolina. "Each meeting sees the group growing as more organizations step up to the plate and take ownership of their hobby,” Anders said. “The group is quite diverse, but dedicated to make the 150th Cycle the best yet. I look forward to great things."

Topics broached at the August meeting included the updating/revision of the Common Sense Resolution, existing events on the Civil War sesquicentennial schedule, and proposed events for the five-year 150th Cycle being undertaken by this group.

Among the latter were Anders’ own “Return to Manassas” event in August, 2010, as well as tentative plans to revisit “Shenandoah ’62,” stage a civilian militia muster to start the 150th Cycle and then the Battle of Ball’s Bluff in 2011, a larger-scale McDowell, the Battle of Antietam/South Mountain in 2012, the Battles of Chancellorsville and Mine Run in 2013, an Overland Campaign event on original ground, the Battles of Third Winchester and Monocacy in 2014 and the Battle of Sayler’s (Sailor’s) Creek in 2015. As plans move forward this list may expand.

Also addressed were the need to compile a manual of event mechanics, the division of responsibilities among the various groups involved in the cycle, and the land available for reenactments.

In the end, it was agreed that a website should be created for the sharing of event information among the group members as they work to solidify the events in the 150th Cycle.

The next 150th Cycle Meeting is scheduled for Nov. 21(Remembrance Day) in Gettysburg, PA. If you would like to attend this meeting, or need more information, please e-mail Laurel Scott at 150thcycle@gmail.com.
    Laurel Scott

"It is history that gives us hope."
    ~ Robert E. Lee

Re: ‘150th Cycle' Event Plans Underway

Why doesnt that include getting folks out to EBUFU events ?

Your list reads like a guide to the 150th mainstream.

My 150th will spent on the events in connection with this website.

Comment

Chris,

There were representatives from all aspects of the hobby there, and a lot of work was put into giving space for both Immersion events and Mega events.

Representatives talked about everything from the 150th Manassas to Camp Lee.

Press releases do not give you space to release everything talked about, but rather a quick snapshot.

The 150ths will hopefully be a boon to the hobby, and whether or not all of us are going to one event, we have to allow space for that event. Many folks will turn up at the 150th Manassas or Gettysburg, many of the same folks will turn up at an event like ITPW, and many of such participants will turn up at a McDowell. So all parties are working hard to clear space either side of any event.

There is work on a web site that will be strickly informational, with all events know listed, whether a huge inclusive event, or a small exclusive. This will allow folks from all aspects of the hobby to view and hopefully participate a variety of events.

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Wow,

Call me a farb but I see a lot of potential for the hobby (our's especially) during the 150th period. My one off the cuff comment regarding all this is that we should consider a LARGE scale Ft. Moultrie/Ft Sumter scenario/LH on or about the firing date. My two cents.

Neill Rose
        PLHA

Comment

Right on Chris. I am simply making note of the factual lack of EBUFU events on the list. On that level alone perhaps you can see where my comment is coming from ?

Certainly deconfliction is needed, but in the community in which I belong (or at least I'm tolerated in for the time being) there is more concern with deconflicting the EBUFU calender and mainstream events dont even enter the discussion.

Out of those EBUFU community participants and discussions which of "our" events will be actively promoted with the same vigor in which you are promoting mainstream events on this board ? I would think it would be a huge step in good faith and proper to show the "EBUFU" events which will promoted by including them on the list you using on the "EBUFU" website.

Thanks.

Comment

Chris,

Understand. The truth is those who come and attend the meetings forward the events they wish to see supported.

We have folks at these things from all over the spectrum, and most importantly do not get into any "ours is better" discussion, but rather state the event and its focus.

We welcome folks to attend.

Pards,
            S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Just curios,are their any plans for 150th events in the western theater of the war.
              David Hulsey
              33rd Ala

Comment

Given the momentous nature of the cycle, I for one am not bothered by the idea of "hybrid" events of mainstreamers and authentics. If I want to do an authentic coffee boiler, I can do that anytime. I am pleased to see both parties working together.

That said, what discussion has there been for Western theater events, as asked above?
                Bob Muehleisen
                Furious Five
                Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliron View Post
                  I for one am not bothered by the idea of "hybrid" events of mainstreamers and authentics. If I want to do an authentic coffee boiler, I can do that anytime. I am pleased to see both parties working together.

That said, what discussion has there been for Western theater events, as asked above?

Bob what if the hobby would think in terms of EBUFU events not being a coffee boiler you can do anytime but events worthy of, at a minimum, mention on the 150th Cycle planning list if only as a token inclusion toward the one hobby concept everyone tosses about and seems to want from the authentic community these days ? How much more "all for one esprit" do you think you might get tossing the / an event(s) from here a bone ?

Really not to be an ass..but it is a fair question. There is mention of a "Ft Sumter / Moultrie / Charleston Harbor" event from a respected South Carolinia historian in this thread and while at the same time there is a considerable effort underway by other "true hardcore" and extremely supportive of EBUFU South Carolinians to do that very thing...see where I am coming from ?

But as Chris didn't answer (and I aint takin shots @ CA....What events from this website are even on the list ? Answer I guess = None.

Chris Rideout
                  Tampa, Florida

Comment

2011 - ‘150th Cycle' Events in Charleston, SC

Since its been brought up...

I am coordinating 'To Prevent the Effusion of Blood', which will be a semi-immersive historical reenactment of the events in Charleston during December 1860 and January 1861. It is scheduled for the weekend of 7 to 9 January 2011. We have permission from the NPS for use of Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter and are determining other important sites for inclusion in the event. We are in detailed planning with the NPS, Citadel and other local and state organizations currently. To learn more, please visit the following thread for information.

I know that a much larger event commemorating the actual firing on Fort Sumter is being planned for the week of 11 to 18 April 2011. My understanding is that there will be both South Carolina and Federal Living History components to this event. Since I am not involved in the planning of that event, I will yeild and let the coordinator present the information he wants to release at this time.

Both events will provide opportunities to the Living History community to commemorate and participate in the 150th anniversary of the start of the War Between the States in South Carolina in 2011.
                    Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: Modified Post Title
                    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

please remove this post
                      Last edited by Marylander in Grey; 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: deleting
                      Chris Fisher
                      [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                      1st NY Mounted Rifles
                      Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                      [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                        Really not to be an ass..but it is a fair question. There is mention of a "Ft Sumter / Moultrie / Charleston Harbor" event from a respected South Carolinia historian in this thread and while at the same time there is a considerable effort underway by other "true hardcore" and extremely supportive of EBUFU South Carolinians to do that very thing...
                        Chris, Who are you calling "true hardcore"? I'm just a fresh fish with too much weight around the middle and enough freedom to go to too many events.
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Mr. Fisher,

Do I take away from this you were the one representing the EBUFU events at this event...Which of any EBUFU events did you propose or was it soley fitting "us" around "them" ?

Where you see a mechanism to deconfile the mainstream schedule are you aware there is a large body of folks (though sadly it grows smaller by the day) that care nothing about what goes on in the mainstream. Patience you say ? I dont speak for this community but I feel safe in saying "we" want people pointed to "our" history 150th EBUFU events. That is the purpose of the A/C. We want approved vendor sales to increase by virtue of increased attendance at EBUFU events.

I have witnessed an outreach of willingness to help with kit, travel, expenses and other gestures of kindness to get mainstreamers out to EBUFU events and though the internets is ripe with campaigners it is the same folks in and out at the events. I came up through the supportive cadre of the individuals and have done the past 5 events exclusively in the EBUFU community and will round out 2009 with two more. You look at good men like Peter Berezuk and his pards in the Tramp Brigade, who not only have coordinated outstanding history heavy events on NPS lands in SC, but drives his arse across the nation supporting EBUFU events, look at the list attached to his signature.

These are the events to put the press effort to get folks out to. (at least those here)

I really am not looking to fight but these are the struggles I hear my event coordinating pards deal with yet will catch all kinds of grief for not rushing to "adjunct" it up at the local ham and yam festival
                          Last edited by OldKingCrow; 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Please remove this post
                            Last edited by Marylander in Grey; 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: deleting
                            Chris Fisher
                            [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                            1st NY Mounted Rifles
                            Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                            [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Chris

Awesome !! It is indeed good to hear of your commitment to the EBUFU events. Will you be returning to follow up meetings of the 150th cycle round table ? Would you take that passion for history heavy back and you too Mr. Anders pick some events (and work with its coordinators) and push for the maximum effort attendance by some of the large, regional groups you mention at the next meeting ? Then when you have folks posting lists on fora across the internets you have some EBUFU on there ? Help get the masses out ? With ample notice and the right attitude you will get a lot of lee way on kit provided you are anachronism free and willing to suck it up..but you guys are in the EBUFU scene so you know this. In reality I think by providing the excitement and oppty as a "round table" for more folks to experience focused events the 150th is far better served than mainstream calender deconfilction...and if you provide the oppty and support and they still dont come (which recent history shows most wont) the same X% </> will keep on doing their thing free and independent from the mainstream.

Comment

Working...
                              X