Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigner Adjunct for "Return to Manassas"

Campaigner Adjunct for "Return to Manassas"

What: A Potomac Legion-sponsored campaigner adjunct for the "Return to Manassas" event hosted by Chris Anders http://www.returntomanassas.com/ and the Brittany's Hope Foundation http://www.brittanyshope.org/
    When: August 27-29, 2010
    Where: Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania (1160 North Market Street, Elizabethtown, PA 17022) http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=El...eocode=ADDRESS
    Why: To provide campaigners who wish to attend the event with a history-heavy experience.
    Impression: 26th New York Infantry, http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...6thInfMain.htm details to follow
    POC: Bill Birney twbirney@aol.com
    Rations: Will be organized by Joe Caridi
    Listserver: YahooGroup . Will be open soon to interested parties.

Friends,
    Neil Hobbins will be leading the 13th NJ/Stockton Guards company, which will be the Color Company for the Potomac Legion battalion, complete with a proper nine-man Color Guard. We will be portraying the 26th New York, which was extensively engaged over the course of the Battle of Second Manassas.
    If you are interested in forming a company, contact either Joe Caridi caridijp@vcu.edu , Bill Birney twbirney@aol.com, or myself. You'll need to work on this ASAP, since other companies in the Potomac Legion are also forming companies and the overall cap for the Potomac Legion has been set at 135, due to ration issue considerations.
    - Joe Bordonaro
    beatlefans1@verizon.net
    Joe Bordonaro

Update 12/11/09

Friends,
    Here's an update on the company structure for the Potomac Legion adjunct to the "Return to Manassas" event:

First Company (Color Company): 13th NJ/Stockton Guards, Neil Hobbins commanding
    Second Company: 122nd New York, Chris Piering commanding
    Third Company: Sally Port Mess, Jeremy Bevard commanding
    Fourth Company: To be assigned.
    Battalion Staff: Open
    Artillery: Mike Martorelli of the 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery, Battery F (a member unit of the Potomac Legion) will be the overall coordinator for artillery at the event.
    Cavalry: Open

Things are coming together nicely. If you are interested in joining one of the three established companies, or if you would like to be involved in forming the fourth company, please contact Bill Birney at: twbirney@aol.com
    - Joe Bordonaro
    Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Re: Campaigner Adjunct for "Return to Manassas"

Friends,
      Attached ate two photos taken by Bill Birney yesterday when we went out to the site again to do some planning. While there we saw the almost-completely rehabilitated 1850s barn. A large trench has been dug up to the barn and farmhouse area to bury the electric lines so the telephone/electric poles can be gotten rid of. Four-rail fences have been built to surround the horse pastures. The fences look like the ones in the famous photographs of the Hagerstown Turnpike after the Battle of Antietam. The site is a 260 acre farm. It had been left unattended many years so a lot of it has tree cover, which is much better for our purposes than 260 acres of cleared farm land would be. There are many trails through the wooded areas. An orchard near the barn and farmhouse has been replanted with young trees to grow up alongside the "old veterans" still standing on the old orchard grounds. All in all I'd have to say that this site is one of the best I've seen for Civil War reenacting. Plus it's owned by people totally behind what we do. And, the icing on the cake is that the landowner is involved with a charity which benefits orphaned children, with our registration money going to that charity. I'm very enthused about the place, the cause, and the event, in case you haven't noticed :)
      - Joe Bordonaro
      Attached Files
      Last edited by pvtbordonaro; 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM.
      Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Gentlemen. Just to clarify a couple of things. Our objective in this project is not to burn powder and portray four different units over the weekend. Rather, it is to follow a single regiment through the Second Bull Run campaign. As the 26th New York was at only two of the four scenarios, we, too, will only be at those scenarios unless force ratios force us to help Chris Anders and take a second portratal. Otherwise, we will be at Thoroughfare Gap, bedding down for the night during Brawner's Farm, missing the railroad cut, and doing a night march to the base of Chinn Ridge. We'll have excellent rations, great firewood, and a decent march route. Thirty rounds will be expended on Chinn Ridge as we're torn apart and thrown off by superior rebel numbers. That should be all the powder we burn. Want history? Than sign up.
        William Birney
        Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
        Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Friends,
          Attached is a photo of the 26th NY at Fort Lyons, which was one of the forts defending Washington, D.C. It's a great photo of a regiment on parade. The photo is from the Library of Congress. Research by Joe Caridi.
          - Joe Bordonaro
          Attached Files
          Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Friends,
            Below is a view of Chinn's Ridge from the position of Lepien's Battery, which Towers Brigade was supporting. The source is an excellent "Virtual Tour of Second Manassas" by John Hamill. Here is the link:
            Virtual Tour of Second Manassas battlefield, Battle of Bull Run, pictures, photographs, tours

- Joe Bordonaro
            Attached Files
            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

"... It's a great photo of a regiment on parade."

I for one could do a better job this spring when it comes to drill -- would someone please zoom in on the position of the solders' hands so that I can pass along this evidence to my local comrades.

Thanks.
              Paul Hadley
              Lincoln, Neb.
              Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,
                I hope someone can zoom in on the photo for you. I gave it a shot but even though I can zoom in on the photo that I have saved on my computer I can't save the zoomed look. Go figure!
                - Joe Bordonaro
                Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Paul, you looking for something like this?
                  Attached Files
                  Jason Wright
                  Baltimore, Maryland

Comment

Jason,
                    Thanks! Nice closeup. Interesing...looks like they're standing in the parade rest posture with their legs but in the support arms posture with their arms. And check out the white gloves! Let's hope the vets of 1861 didn't see the new guys of 1862 on parade!
                    - Joe Bordonaro
                    Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Now if I wasn't committed to the CVG for that event I'd totally be there with you guys!

Awesome ground up there in Etown!
                      Bob Martin
                      Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
                      Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                      sigpic

Comment

Bob,
                        Well, we'll try and be a worthy adversary :)
                        - Joe Bordonaro
                        Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Bob. With my knack for being captured, you'll probably run into me on Chinn Ridge. Be gentle. Been reading the 'Memorial to William Bacon of the Twenty-sixth New York Volunteers' on googlebooks. Interesting stuff. As for the white gloves, these boys had been in the service since before First Bull Run, just barely missing that engagement. Enquiries being sent to the Oneida County Historical Society in the next few days. Hopefully, they'll have some good photos and first-hand accounts in their collections. Also, in searching for burials of the members of the Twenty sixth, I've found that they're buried all over, including Michigan, Wisconsin, and even within twenty miles of my place in northeastern Maryland. Irony. And the research continues.
                          William Birney
                          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Thanks for the photo closeup, Jason. I'm guessing that the photographer was trying to represent them "marching," so he had them put left feet forward as opposed to parade rest.

Zowie, but this will cause some knashing of grinders among our ranks out here on the prairie. "Some" of the men are holding their hands quite high against their chests instead of at the first ribs as "In support of support arms" recommends. (Or did I read that wrong?) Other men have their hands lower. A couple have extended their (human, not Springfield) arms almost parallel to the ground.

So, I guess to be PEC for a relatively early war impression we could have our odd collection of veterans and fresh fish position their hands in non-uniform ways. Score one for the less-progressive lads out here; they were right in being "wrong."

And the photo gives a great representation of where the hammer is supposed to rest during support and how upright to hold the barrel.

Thanks again.
                            Paul Hadley
                            Paul Hadley

Comment

Friends,
                              It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Columbia Rifles voted at their meeting to support the "Return to Manassas" event. Chris Piering will be the captain of the consolidated CR/122nd NY company (Second Company). Chris is an excellent officer and leader in the field. If you'd like to join up with him, his contact info is: cpiering@twcny.rr.com A picture of Chris is below.
                              - Joe Bordonaro
                              Attached Files
                              Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Working...
                              X