Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaigner Adjunct for "Return to Manassas"

Gentlemen,
    Joe Caridi and I had high hopes for this. I hope we met your expectations. If this was just another over-hyped adjunct, we failed. If you felt like your were at an immersion event most of the time, we succeeded.
    Let us know any complaints you have. We have gotten all the thanks we need. Now to push forward. Let us know if our concept was what you want, how to improve things, etc. This is our first time doing something like this and Charles left some things for us to learn on our own.
    Special thanks to:
    Dave Wilson- coordinating our little band must have been a headache
    Skip Owens- for following the history, shooting from the hip and giving Joe C and me a chance
    Paul Parvis- keeping me grounded and calming me down at times
    Johnny Lloyd- doing what adjudtants do
    Officers and men- you drove a long way to come to take part in an experiment. You were awesome as Hell. Thanks to the PL and my western brothers.
    William Birney
    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Gents-

This past weekend was a wonderful experience. Though the efforts of Billy Birney, Skip Owens, Paul Parvis Joe Caridi, and Dave Wilson, we had a splendid time at a fun event.

The whole team worked to provide details that really brought the experience to life. I am proud to have served as your adj.

I will record my experiences on my profile blog to reflect the event's details as they unfolded once I get the pictures back from development.

All the best- Johnny
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

my only complaint is that you robbed that poor traveler and violated those women :)

Hope it went well on your side, we tried our best to accommodate where we could. If you were part of the adjunct and haven't thanked Bill Birney, you need to.

looking forward to making this work again, now that we have a good trial run under our belts.

onward and upward!

-Dave
        Eric D. Wilson

Comment

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank publicly the organizers and leaders of the adjunct effort this past weekend. It's been a long time since I've been in the field for a campaigner-style Civil War event and I'm glad I chose this effort for a return to the hobby.

I can say that I had some nice moments this weekend:
          - Trying to stay awake during picket duty at 0200
          - Starving until the fortuitous meat ration
          - Building fires with the split-rail fence to cook said meat
          - Racing to the twilight battle and watching the silouettes of the men engaged in battle against the dusk sky
          - Knocking off 4 years of rust and remembering how to do things again
          - Urging the fleeing men to stay and fight and then getting overrun on Sunday morning
          - Sleeping under the stars
          - Catching up with some old friends (some older than others!)
          - Excellence in all of the command slots

Thanks again for everyone's hard work. It paid off and made my 8-hour drive well worth it.

Excelsior!
          Michael P. Jolin

Comment

In case it hasn't been reported here, the Return To Manassas event ended up raising about $20,000.00 for charity. A number of "special guests" were apparently allowed to see more than just the Sunday battle, and were so impressed by their experience that they donated a significant amount of money on top of the reenactor and spectator fees.

Not a bad weekend's work.
            Bernard Biederman
            30th OVI
            Co. B
            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
            Outpost III

Comment

Dave - on behalf of everyone who participated in the adjunct, including those who labored tirelessly behind-the-scenes, as well as the Potomac Legion, we sincerely thank you for facilitating our requests and listening to our ideas. The adjunct will be one of the most memorable experiences and one that will set the standard for future endeavors. See you in the field! Excelsior! Paul Parvis (Major Jennings / 26th New York)

Comment

Pics from the event are up:

Look toward the end of the album!

Enjoy and thanks for coming-splendid time!

All the best- Johnny Lloyd;)
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

On behalf of those who ran RTM. We are glad we could meet the expectations of the group. I know the last two weeks, my staff and my self were up till about 2 am every night to get things in order for everyone. Yes it is correct 20k was raised for the charity. If people notice some spectators Saturday night by the farm house it was those people who decided to donate on top of the re-enactors who gave of their time, talent, and monies to make this event happen. Thank you again for being apart of it.
                  Courtney Abel
                  95th PVI, Gosline's Zouaves

Comment

Courtney,
                    Thank you for your accommodation and flexibility. Our experiment was a success but we do not take for granted everyone's full cooperation and support.
                    See you in the field.
                    Paul Parvis

Comment

Working...
                    X