X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8th Kansas Info

Originally posted by jake.koch View Post
    Pete,

Thanks for the link, that gave a great description of the exhaustive nature of the work details, as well as the short rations; however I don't know if I agree with the assesment where the author describes the "unfailing good humor in the midst of such gloomy surroundings". I don't know if that was real humor or gallows humor. I think these men would be just about at their worst physically and mentally, perhaps the Kansas troops more than the others due to what recently happened back home(Lawrence). Imagine being that many miles away from home, hearing somthing like that with no way to do anything about it, then losing that many casualties. I wouldn't have wanted to be a reb on the opposing picket line.

As far as the good humor description is concerned, I almost think it would have been the type of situation that you force yourself to laugh so that you don't start to cry or despair more than you already are. I have to dig up where I saw the quote, but I believe I read somewhere that Union troops were seen picking through horse dung for undigested kernals of corn. I know there is documentation of some trading going on, but I find it hard to believe that the Kansas troops were too enthusiastic about it.

I'm not trying to argue, just curious.
    Jake, No:), I don't take it as argueing at all. It is good dialague and I would love to see what Mr. White and others have on this.
    I can't imagine that all of these men were feeling the exact same way. I am reading Mcfarland's book Keep the Flag to the Front currently and I look forward to loearning more about their expierences. I am still back in Lawrence and Leavenworth circa 62, so I am not sure what the mindset overall is yet for our time period portrayal at BTB. I only shared one aspect of some of their moods post Chickamauga. I am sure they varied. I will keep digging.

And yes, These boys were hungry

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I'm waiting on my 8th Kansas book to arrive, but until then I've been scanning back through a book I forgot I had on my shelves, Mountains Touched With Fire: Chattanooga Besieged, by Wiley Sword. For those that may not have read it, the book begins with the retreat from Chickamauga and goes through Braggs being booted from command in the aftermath of the "Breakout". Although not anything specifically on the 8th Kansas, there are some great primary quotes used throughout giving a pretty good picture of what the average soldier went through, as well as letting you know what was going on in the upper ranks. He also has a pretty easy writing style to follow if you've never read his work.
      Jake Koch
      The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
      https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
      -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
      -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

I have a original diary from the the war that I picked up in Texas from my aunt in the Tyler, Texas area about 10 years ago. I have just started to research the background on the diary and I believe it belonged to John Watson of the 8th Kansas Infantry Co.F . It is a small leather bound diary that is dated from January 1865 to December 1865 . It has Green Lake, Texas written in ink in the inner binding and it talks in detail the daily weather from January to April 9th almost daily . then random writing in june and july .it stops after July except for the last couple of pages the has names of mess mates the that i have not found yet that were in debt to him for tobacco etc. It speaks alot of time in Nashville with mention of Elk River and Indian Creek ,Alabama with mention of time in New Market .It speaks of a tree falling on a tent on march 1st 1865 in camp and killing one and wounding 3 .It also speaks of a prayer meeting with a chaplin from the 3rd michigan regt. in new market on march 20th 1865 .the ony mention it has of "military affairs " is it speaks of the news of the fall of Richmond . I am thinking of putting this diary up for sale after nailing down the details and background of this gentlemen. if anyone is well versed on the 8th would help me I would greatly appreiciate it .thanks

Russell Huffman
        Russell Huffman
        1st kentucky cavalry & horse artillery
        Co.B (Postillion & outrider )

Comment

Re: Ordered to join the Army of the Cumberland...

Russell,

Bob McFarland is a researcher of the 8th Kansas. His book Keep the Flag to the Front is a wealth of information about the 8th Kansas. He was also very personable and helpful when we decided to select the 8th Kansas as our Federal Portrayal at Before the Breakout.

His contact information is listed at the bottom of the following website...

I'd suggest you send him a message, I'm certain he'd be interested in the diary from a researcher's perspective and will probably be helpful in your quest for information.
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Thank you Mr Berezuk !
            Russell Huffman
            1st kentucky cavalry & horse artillery
            Co.B (Postillion & outrider )

Comment

Working...
            X